The Student Room Group

What are you meant to say on results day to unis? & tips please

Hey, I’m so worried I won’t get the grades I require to study my dream course at uni so I’m starting to get nervous about results day. What exactly am I meant to do when I open my paper and I don’t get the grades I need? I’ve asked my older friends & they say call up the Uni I want to go and tell them if I can still get a place but, the course I want to study is very common to study as a joint degree and I wouldn’t mind doing it as a joint degree but I want to try my luck and see if I can do it by itself. But I just don’t know how to word it when I call like I can’t go call and say “I didn’t get the grades I needed for my course can I still do it if I can’t then can I possibly do a joint degree course with it”Can someone help me out before I LOSE MY MIND. Also does anyone have any tips for results day? Much appreciated if you do
Reply 1
Original post by Shaylahnaomi
Hey, I’m so worried I won’t get the grades I require to study my dream course at uni so I’m starting to get nervous about results day. What exactly am I meant to do when I open my paper and I don’t get the grades I need? I’ve asked my older friends & they say call up the Uni

1) Regardless of the grades you actually get, do not assume that you have not 'got in' as Unis may take even if you just miss your offer - SO, check UCAS Hub at 8am and if its 'Unconditional' you are IN and your grades are irrelevant.

2) And therefore - if you have a place, you dont need to phone the Uni. And if its a Reject, please dont phone them and plead - its utterly pointless at that stage, and you will just a big fat No which will just make you feel even worse.

What Happens on Results Day - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/guide-to-a-level-results-day
What you need to do on Results Day - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/a-level-results-day-here-are-your-options-whether-youve-missed-your-grades-or
You don’t have to ring your universities up in most cases.

Universities will get results on Friday evening and will have sent decisions for almost all applicants to UCAS before results day. Even for applicants who miss their offer conditions.

Once a decision has been sent to UCAS it isn’t going to be changed.

The only situations to ring your universities are
A) you met your offer conditions but UCAS hasn’t updated (in which case you’re asking them if they have your results)
B) you missed your offer conditions but UCAS hasn’t updated (in which case you’re asking when they expect to make a decision and if they need any more information from you - this would be a good time to mention that you are open to alternative courses)
C) you’ve missed your offer conditions and been rejected and you’re getting a priority remark.
Original post by Shaylahnaomi
Hey, I’m so worried I won’t get the grades I require to study my dream course at uni so I’m starting to get nervous about results day. What exactly am I meant to do when I open my paper and I don’t get the grades I need? I’ve asked my older friends & they say call up the Uni I want to go and tell them if I can still get a place but, the course I want to study is very common to study as a joint degree and I wouldn’t mind doing it as a joint degree but I want to try my luck and see if I can do it by itself. But I just don’t know how to word it when I call like I can’t go call and say “I didn’t get the grades I needed for my course can I still do it if I can’t then can I possibly do a joint degree course with it”Can someone help me out before I LOSE MY MIND. Also does anyone have any tips for results day? Much appreciated if you do

i knew someone who was on navy ship (she was ROTC) and said "Put me on a course any course I don't mind what just get me of this ship". She ended up graduating with a degree in Outdoor adventure management and couldn't have been happier.
(edited 8 months ago)
Just to add that whilst any decision on the original course is almost certainly final, there is nothing to stop you asking about related programmes, (such as joint honours). In essence you'l just be going through a normal clearing conversation with them, so there is no need to plead your case. Most clearing staff are temps, (and very often students), and have a pre-set script to follow so there is no need to be nervous as they will just be confirming details with you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending