The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

University of Reading Clearing 2023

Hi everyone!

It's that time of year again - Clearing has officially opened for 2023!

This thread is for discussing the University of Reading for Clearing this year.

We'll be here to support you through the Clearing process, myth-busting, and sharing our student's experiences with the process.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns, and we'll be happy to help!

You can find out more about Clearing at the University of Reading here

Good luck everyone! :h:

Lottie
GRTUK and Reading alumna (History)
Let's kick things off with some very simple questions you may be wondering about! What actually is clearing, how does it work, and who is it for?

Clearing is a process matching University applicants to University places. Simple as that! You could go through Clearing for several reasons - it could be because you haven't yet applied to University and missed the equal consideration deadline, if you don't currently have any offers (or any offers you'd like to accept), if you'd like to change courses, or if your results are different than expected. This also includes if your results are better than you expected in your exams!

If you've already received your results, you can apply through Early Clearing, which is now open! You can either start by visiting our official Clearing page, or by using the vacancies check on UCAS - you can see the courses Reading has in Clearing here.

Once you find your dream course, give us a ring! Our admissions team are the people to chat with before the 17 August, so call them on +44 (0) 118 378 8372. On the 17th, we'll have a specific Clearing hotline for you to call. We'll be able to talk you through the course, whether it will be a good fit for you, and if the course still has vacancies (things can move fast in Clearing!). When you receive an offer that you're excited about and want to accept, you'll need to add the Clearing choice on your application or send off an application if this is your first time applying in this cycle. UCAS has made some great step-by-step advice that you can see here!

If you're still waiting for your results, please don't worry! The main Clearing cycle begins on A-Level results day, Thursday 17 August, so you can give us a call then.

I hope this has given you a bit of insight into the process. If you're applying to Reading through Clearing, let us know! We'd love to hear from you.

Lottie :smile:
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello.

Thank you for this. My son has applied through Clearing and received an acceptance email with instructions to make his Clearing choice through UCAS. He did this on Saturday and the status is still awaiting confirmation from Reading. Can you advise how long this can take? He is obviously a bit anxious and wants to be certain to apply for accommodation.
Original post by SHawUni
Hello.

Thank you for this. My son has applied through Clearing and received an acceptance email with instructions to make his Clearing choice through UCAS. He did this on Saturday and the status is still awaiting confirmation from Reading. Can you advise how long this can take? He is obviously a bit anxious and wants to be certain to apply for accommodation.

Hi @SHawUni,

Huge congratulations to your son, that's great news! Unfortunately, we can't say for certain how long this will take, usually a week or two due to the volume of admin going on around this time of year. If you like, you can call our admissions team who might be able to advise you about the application or time periods in more detail: you can contact them via telephone at +44 (0) 118 378 8372 - I'd advise this over email ([email protected]) as they, again, get really busy this time of year and you'll likely wait longer for a response.

If you or your son would like any advice about accommodation, campus, course, or just anything Reading-related really, please don't hesitate to ask!
Kat
BA History Graduate
Hi everyone!

I wanted to let everyone know that we have a webinar next Tuesday designed to introduce you to the subject of Clearing, and will be an excellent opportunity to ask any questions you may have! It's primarily designed for parents and supporters, but we encourage anyone who'd like to learn more about Clearing to sign up. Even if you aren't able to attend live, if you sign up means you will be sent the recording after the session.

If you'd like to find out more or sign up, you can do so here :smile:

Let us know if you have any questions or if we can help with anything!

Hey everyone! I wanted to hop on today to discuss my experience of coming to the University of Reading through Clearing.

First off, I knew very little about what Clearing is. What I did know was that it's a second chance to still go to university and study. Many people enter Clearing for reasons such as receiving no offers, later applications, or considering changing university choices, especially when it comes to results day. For me, I didn’t get into my top choices but I just took the day to take in what happened and celebrate because even if you don’t get into your first choice, that doesn’t mean that you won’t have a great time at uni. I ended up at Reading, and that was the best thing for me! So if you are thinking of Clearing, good thing you came across this blog because I am going to give you a few tips and a rundown of the main steps I took when I entered Clearing.

First, I want to mention that if your grades are close to the expected grade of your offer, it may be worth calling the admission department of the university for an appeal. It is better to call rather than email (which would still work but a faster response is likely by calling) and be prepared for some questions they may ask. There are other options such as re-taking your exam, but with next step decisions, it may be good to talk with your teacher(school) for more advice.

1. What universities do Clearing?

I searched up a bunch of universities that did Clearing and my mind was still set on studying the same course so that helped me narrow my choices. Bear in mind that not all universities will offer Clearing and not all will have the course you want. This part of looking for universities is similar to when you were researching and applying for universities months ago. For example, looking at the course, the location, accommodation etc. You can start off with a general search on a list of universities that do Clearing, or if you are interested in a particular uni, you can find much more information about their Clearing process on their website and admissions team. I also checked if my previous uni choices offered Clearing. However, during my search, I did come across different courses and different structures for my course from other universities. This gave me another opportunity to consider other subjects and what I would like more.

2. Deadlines
Make sure to check when the Clearing duration begins and ends as some advertisements may have not been published just yet, which underlines the importance of regular checks just in case a vacancy is taken and if more open later. Also, different universities will have different deadlines for their applications, make a note of them! I do have to mention that competition still exists with applications, so make sure you give yourself enough time to think about the options you found but not to leave applying too late.

3. Open days and visiting the uni.
Open days are a good opportunity to learn and explore the uni you are considering. Even if there are no open days available, some universities allow visits and some even have virtual tours on their websites. Additionally, you could talk to students at the uni for example on the platform Unibuddy’ who are willing to answer questions you may have.

4. Applications
My application was done via the university website. There were rejections but also offers by which I had received acceptance emails. You may get more than one offer and have to choose between them, but they may have different deadlines for this too. The university will send out details on how to confirm the place using UCAS, for me it was adding the details onto UCAS Clearing page which confirms the offer and then the university would send me further details.

Some people may feel that getting in through Clearing feels like they didn’t do well or don’t feel part of the university. So let me share with you one of my favourite sayings “what has reached you was never meant to miss you and what has missed you was never meant to reach you." - Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). There is this new journey that’s meant for you, embrace it as it's your new chapter with so many amazing things waiting!

Maral :smile:
2nd Year Biomedical Sciences with Professional Experience
Hi guys!

It's Tess here, and I've just finished my first year of BSc Environmental Science here at the University of Reading, having come to Reading through Clearing last year. I wanted to share some of my top tips to prepare for Clearing today!

My experience of Clearing was as my plan C. I didn't think it would come to this, and I never thought I would be applying to university via the phone, desperate to get a place, my heart racing, anxious, and on edge Clearing was one of the most stressful days of my life.

But it doesn’t have to be!

In fact, the best opportunities often occur in our lives when we least expect them, and the outcome of my Clearing experience worked out so perfectly it was truly meant to be. I did not prepare for my Clearing experience, simply because I didn’t expect it would happen. A Clearing experience doesn’t have to be a stressful one, and that is why I’m here to give you my top tips to prepare for clearing because we never know what may happen…

1.     At some point before results day (sooner rather than later is best, but it can be the night before!) do some research and make a list of 5-10 universities you would consider applying to with your course. Rank them from highest to lowest grades (considering that they all generally have lower grades than your original firm choice).

2.    On the list write down the code for your course next to each university

3.    Wake up early for results day at least in time that your results have been released. Check your results - if you need to use the Clearing process, it's best to start phoning Universities in the morning as places can get taken up swiftly and you want to have as many options open to you as possible. Make sure you have your cheat sheet with your UCAS number and details at hand this will quicken the process for universities to get your details and application.

4.    If you got accepted to a university you don’t have to stop there. If this isn't your first choice, you can accept this result but keep going through your list of applying to other universities.

5.    Apply to as many universities as you can and then decide where you want to go look at the syllabus and see what modules you’ll enjoy, or if location is a factor, then consider this too. Give yourself time to decide if you are able to have the choice.

It goes without saying that I am certainly enjoying my time here at the University of Reading. From the moment I was on the phone applying for a place I suddenly felt at ease. The admissions team were utterly kind and caring and calmed me through the process of my application, and these services have undeniably been reflected among all others provided here! I accepted my application without even knowing what the campus looked like, but needless to worry, since every day I look forward to walking into the beautiful green parkland. I was too pleasantly surprised by the overwhelming number of opportunities available, from careers to community volunteering, there is unquestionably something for everyone - whatever the matter!

Remember, everything happens for a reason, so don’t stress, take a deep breath and enjoy the thrill of your next journey in life. Going to university is an amazing privilege and opportunity. As someone once told me ‘University is 100% what you make of it’, so no matter where you end up going, I hope you make it a good one!

If you have any questions for me, you can put them here on this thread, or you can message me privately on Unibuddy here!

Best of luck!

Tess :smile:
1st Year Environmental Science student
Hi everyone!

It might be helpful to have a look at this blog post about the clearing process by Neha, one of our lovely Unibuddy Ambassadors.

We also have a number of Unibuddy Ambassadors who are experienced with clearing, and would be happy to answer any of your questions if you would like to private message them.

Eliza :smile:
Second Year Education Studies Student
(edited 8 months ago)
Hi everyone, in this post I’ll discuss accommodation in Clearing to hopefully reassure you a bit!

Sometimes plans change when applying to university, and you might find yourself in Clearing.
One of people’s big concerns around Clearing is that they won’t be able to find suitable accommodation. However, don’t worry as this isn’t always the case!

Many universities offer guaranteed accommodation to people applying through Clearing, including us! The only criteria for this at the Uni of Reading is:
You must have applied for a place in Clearing by 17:00 on 25 August 2023
The programme you have applied for is a full-time undergraduate programme beginning in September 2023
You accept your accommodation offer within two working days of receiving it

As well as this, you won’t have to choose accommodation without seeing it. You can attend a university Clearing visit day (ours is on Friday 18 August!). Which will give you the chance to explore campus, find out about the types of accommodation on offer, and (in some cases) even meet your department.

If you’re not able to get to campus this isn’t a problem, as we also offer virtual tours.
Virtual tours are a way of seeing the room types we have on offer, and finding out more about them. This way, you can hopefully find one that suits you!
Have a look around our Accommodation Virtual Tour page at the many different types of rooms and accompanying communal areas available 😊

I hope this helps reassure you! If you have any further questions, you can put them on this thread.

Eliza 😊
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Hello,

Hope this message finds you all well : )
May I ask question that can I apply for Reading uni through Clearing hotline? But I don’t have Clearing Number. It’s because that I’m holding a conditional offer from an another uni, and I don’t know how to decline the conditional offer I’m holding with now.
Original post by Dylan818
Hello,

Hope this message finds you all well : )
May I ask question that can I apply for Reading uni through Clearing hotline? But I don’t have Clearing Number. It’s because that I’m holding a conditional offer from an another uni, and I don’t know how to decline the conditional offer I’m holding with now.

Hey @Dylan818! We're all good, and hope you are too!

You absolutely can apply to Reading through the Clearing hotline, yes! You can use the ‘Decline your place’ button in your application to decline your firm choice, but this option will only become available once you get your unconditional offer through from them (UCAS have created some helpful guidance on declining your place here). Of course, you'll need to double check your course is available and that you meet the Clearing entry requirements first! You can do that here.

I'd recommend giving us a call on +44 (0) 118 402 0900, as the lines are now open - you won't need a Clearing number, but it will help speed things along if you have your UCAS ID number to hand.

Best of luck! We'll keep our fingers crossed for you :smile:

Lottie
Reply 11
I’m good, thanks so much for your help : ).
I had had a call to you this morning through the Clearing hotline and I got so many helpful guidance and advice. I appreciate it!:smile:

Best wishes,
Dylan
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @Dylan818! We're all good, and hope you are too!

You absolutely can apply to Reading through the Clearing hotline, yes! You can use the ‘Decline your place’ button in your application to decline your firm choice, but this option will only become available once you get your unconditional offer through from them (UCAS have created some helpful guidance on declining your place here). Of course, you'll need to double check your course is available and that you meet the Clearing entry requirements first! You can do that here.

I'd recommend giving us a call on +44 (0) 118 402 0900, as the lines are now open - you won't need a Clearing number, but it will help speed things along if you have your UCAS ID number to hand.

Best of luck! We'll keep our fingers crossed for you :smile:

Lottie
Original post by Dylan818
I’m good, thanks so much for your help : ).
I had had a call to you this morning through the Clearing hotline and I got so many helpful guidance and advice. I appreciate it!:smile:

Best wishes,
Dylan

Hey @Dylan818,

Glad to hear it was all sorted for you this morning!

Do let us know if you have any other questions about clearing or Reading, or anything at all that we can help with.

Best of luck!
Skye :smile:
3rd Year Speech and Language Therapy Student
Reply 13
Original post by UniofReading
Hi everyone, in this post I’ll discuss accommodation in Clearing to hopefully reassure you a bit!

Sometimes plans change when applying to university, and you might find yourself in Clearing.
One of people’s big concerns around Clearing is that they won’t be able to find suitable accommodation. However, don’t worry as this isn’t always the case!

Many universities offer guaranteed accommodation to people applying through Clearing, including us! The only criteria for this at the Uni of Reading is:
You must have applied for a place in Clearing by 17:00 on 25 August 2023
The programme you have applied for is a full-time undergraduate programme beginning in September 2023
You accept your accommodation offer within two working days of receiving it

As well as this, you won’t have to choose accommodation without seeing it. You can attend a university Clearing visit day (ours is on Friday 18 August!). Which will give you the chance to explore campus, find out about the types of accommodation on offer, and (in some cases) even meet your department.

If you’re not able to get to campus this isn’t a problem, as we also offer virtual tours.
Virtual tours are a way of seeing the room types we have on offer, and finding out more about them. This way, you can hopefully find one that suits you!
Have a look around our Accommodation Virtual Tour page at the many different types of rooms and accompanying communal areas available 😊

I hope this helps reassure you! If you have any further questions, you can put them on this thread.

Eliza 😊

Hello,

I've applied for Reading Uni through clearing and have been offered a place to study English Lit! I'm a bit worried through, as on UCAS it hasn't been confirmed by Reading. This means I can't apply for clearing accommodation as I haven't received the conformation email with the details I need to apply for acom. As it's a first come first serve basis I don't want my preferred room choice to get taken.

Any help would be appreciated thank you!!!
Original post by Cghm23
Hello,

I've applied for Reading Uni through clearing and have been offered a place to study English Lit! I'm a bit worried through, as on UCAS it hasn't been confirmed by Reading. This means I can't apply for clearing accommodation as I haven't received the conformation email with the details I need to apply for acom. As it's a first come first serve basis I don't want my preferred room choice to get taken.

Congratulations on getting your offer! It's been such a challenging few years, so this is an extra special achievement :smile:

I've double-checked this with my colleagues, and it will take a few days for you to get your invitation to apply for accommodation as the admissions team need to confirm your results and your place. It's easier said than done, but please try not to worry! You can monitor our current room availability on our Clearing accommodation webpage, which also provides everything you need to know about the application process.

Our Unibuddy ambassadors have made a few helpful pieces of content about accommodation at Reading that I would suggest checking out (under content, specify accommodation) to give you an idea of what accommodation is actually like at Reading, plus you can take a virtual tour of our accommodation here.

I'm sorry I can't provide a more concrete response, but please let us know if we can help you with anything!

Is clearing still open??
Original post by Anonymous
Is clearing still open??

Hi Anonymous,
Clearing is technically open until the 17th of an October, but if you’re looking to apply for a University course beginning in mid/September then I would apply soon!
If you have any questions about the process, please let us know :smile:
Kat
BA History Graduate
Reply 17
Hello,

Original post by Cghm23
Hello,

Hey @Cghm23!

Congratulations on your place - that's awesome news!

Have you received a confirmation email from the university that may contain those details on? If not, I would advise possibly calling our admissions team as soon as you can on +44 (0) 118 378 8372 to check the progress of your application/figure out why this has happened and hopefully they will be able to solve the issue for you.
Then I would call the Accommodation team on 0118 200 5011 to discuss your accommodation options, as this is the most direct way to reach them and they will have the most up to date information on the accommodation situation!

Hope this is all sorted for you soon, and wishing you the best of luck with your start!

Skye :smile:
4th Year Speech and Language Therapy Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending