The Student Room Group

Appeal ,been withdrawn!!!!

hey guys,I’m literally stressed, last week I got an email stating I’ve been withdrawn due to not completing all the requirements to progress on to year 2. I have done well in all my exams and 1 essay which counts as 40% of a module I failed once and failed again due to some extenuating circumstances. I’m gonna submit my appeal v soon. I feel like it’s really unfair to be withdrawn cuz of one essay but it is understandable as I do a healthcare course( radiography). My extenuating circumstances is that I was experiencing breast cancer symptoms and it affected me emotionally and mentally, I have an appointment letter referring me to a breast clinic is that enough evidence for my appeal to be successful!!! I also want to rejoin the course and to continue to progress in year 2!

Scroll to see replies

Did you tell your university about your issues before your resit or afterwards?
Original post by Anonymous
hey guys,I’m literally stressed, last week I got an email stating I’ve been withdrawn due to not completing all the requirements to progress on to year 2. I have done well in all my exams and 1 essay which counts as 40% of a module I failed once and failed again due to some extenuating circumstances. I’m gonna submit my appeal v soon. I feel like it’s really unfair to be withdrawn cuz of one essay but it is understandable as I do a healthcare course( radiography). My extenuating circumstances is that I was experiencing breast cancer symptoms and it affected me emotionally and mentally, I have an appointment letter referring me to a breast clinic is that enough evidence for my appeal to be successful!!! I also want to rejoin the course and to continue to progress in year 2!

It isn't 'unfair' to be withdrawn from a course because you failed an element of it twice.

Why didn't you apply for ECs and a deferral in this assessment, given that you had a medical issue which affected your performance in it - and a medical problem for which you could provide evidence? Retrospective ECs are highly unlikely, and there would need to be a very good reason why you failed to apply for ECs but handed in the piece of work - for obvious reasons.

I also imagine it won't be possible to proceed to the next year - not straight away at least. Even if your appeal for retrospective ECs is accepted, you still have the problem of the failed module which is needed for progression. You'd probably need to take that, and only that module again in the next academic year, resitting it at the next assessment opportunity. Then, assuming you passed it, you would be able to progress to your next academic year - but you will obviously not be in the same cohort.
The reason I failed the second time was due to academic misconduct, a lot of plagiarism context I didn’t understand like self plagiarism , I didn’t even know it was a thing. But they were understandable and decided to resolve the situation locally and sanction was ‘fail in component with an opportunity to resit where permissible’. That is why I’m appealing now under undisclosed extenuating circumstances
Original post by ageshallnot
Did you tell your university about your issues before your resit or afterwards?

The reason I failed the second time was due to academic misconduct, a lot of plagiarism context I didn’t understand like self plagiarism , I didn’t even know it was a thing. But they were understandable and decided to resolve the situation locally and sanction was ‘fail in component with an opportunity to resit where permissible’. That is why I’m appealing now under undisclosed extenuating circumstances. I brought up in the meeting, but only after I was given a fail.
The reason I failed the second time was due to academic misconduct, a lot of plagiarism context I didn’t understand like self plagiarism , I didn’t even know it was a thing. But they were understandable and decided to resolve the situation locally and sanction was ‘fail in component with an opportunity to resit where permissible’. That is why I’m appealing now under undisclosed extenuating circumstances. I brought up in the meeting, but only after I was given a fail.

I'm a bit lost for words.
The reason I failed the second time was due to academic misconduct, a lot of plagiarism context I didn’t understand like self plagiarism , I didn’t even know it was a thing. But they were understandable and decided to resolve the situation locally and sanction was ‘fail in component with an opportunity to resit where permissible’. That is why I’m appealing now under undisclosed extenuating circumstances

Oh I see. They’re unlikely to give a known cheater who was withdrawn for academic misconduct a third crack at the whip. If you’ve been there 2 years you should understand the academic standards expected of you in regard to integrity.
(Original post by ROTL94 3)Oh I see. They’re unlikely to give a known cheater who was withdrawn for academic misconduct a third crack at the whip. If you’ve been there 2 years you should understand the academic standards expected of you in regard to integrity.

I haven’t been there for two years. Only one year and it was my first ever essay and first ever piece of work we have had to reference
Original post by ageshallnot
I'm a bit lost for words.

Why? It was my first ever essay and first ever piece of work we have had to reference, I realised my mistake.
I haven’t been there for two years. Only one year and it was my first ever essay and first ever piece of work we have had to reference

Original post by ROTL94 3
Oh I see. They’re unlikely to give a known cheater who was withdrawn for academic misconduct a third crack at the whip. If you’ve been there 2 years you should understand the academic standards expected of you in regard to integrity.
You are going to struggle. Retrospective MCs are possible but institutions don't much like giving them, and I suspect that their goodwill might already be waned with the (serious) instance of academic misconduct.

You have some evidence but what you will struggle with is showing why you didn't tell them earlier. A defining characteristics of a successful appeal against exclusion/withdrawal is that there are serious and compelling reasons why mitigation was not disclosed at the time. You will need to have a think about this and try to find a way to present them.

You should be in contact with the SU and/or personal tutor - they can give more institutionally-tailored advice.
hey my academic misconduct wasn’t serious, the reason I was withdrawn was because my essay was already at second attempt ,so if I failed that I can’t progress. And thank you, I have an appointment with SU tomorrow.
hey my academic misconduct wasn’t serious, the reason I was withdrawn was because my essay was already at second attempt ,so if I failed that I can’t progress. And thank you, I have an appointment with SU tomorrow.

I disagree: it is serious, and the programme directors and examination board will generally hold it against you, amicable resolution or no.

You are taking the correct steps now, and hopefully something can be worked out in your favour.
SU and my personal casted my case as not serious though? If my work was at first attempt, I would have not been withdrawn. But thank you, I appreciate it.
Hey, I have written a reason why I didn’t complete an extenuating circumstance form on time, is it a good enough reason? I’ll copy and paste it below:
‘During the summer, specifically around July 2022, was when I first noticed symptoms of breast cancer and started having breast cancer scares. It took a toll on my mental health. It affected me mentally, emotionally and physically. I started to lose weight due to stress. I always had scary thoughts and I was extremely anxious that I couldn’t sleep properly and would wake up in the middle of the night due to emotional distress. The only thing that was on my mind was my health and if I have breast cancer. Managing university and other stuff in my life felt very difficult for me. Even completing the work that I was supposed to do (my resit report), was hard for me to put my mind to it. I did not complete the extenuating circumstances form on time because I was scared of facing anything that had to do with my health; at the time I wanted to protect my mental health. I was always distracting myself throughout most of the summer and trying to not think about breast cancer. I had many mental breakdowns, when it came to university,because of the fear my health would affect my academic life. I have learnt my lesson to seek support and the importance of submitting an extenuating circumstance form on time.’
Original post by gjd800
I disagree: it is serious, and the programme directors and examination board will generally hold it against you, amicable resolution or no.

You are taking the correct steps now, and hopefully something can be worked out in your favour.

Hey, I have written a reason why I didn’t complete an extenuating circumstance form on time, is it a good enough reason? I’ll copy and paste it below:

‘During the summer, specifically around July 2022, was when I first noticed symptoms of breast cancer and started having breast cancer scares. It took a toll on my mental health. It affected me mentally, emotionally and physically. I started to lose weight due to stress. I always had scary thoughts and I was extremely anxious that I couldn’t sleep properly and would wake up in the middle of the night due to emotional distress. The only thing that was on my mind was my health and if I have breast cancer. Managing university and other stuff in my life felt very difficult for me. Even completing the work that I was supposed to do (my resit report), was hard for me to put my mind to it. I did not complete the extenuating circumstances form on time because I was scared of facing anything that had to do with my health; at the time I wanted to protect my mental health. I was always distracting myself throughout most of the summer and trying to not think about breast cancer. I had many mental breakdowns, when it came to university,because of the fear my health would affect my academic life. I have learnt my lesson to seek support and the importance of submitting an extenuating circumstance form on time.’
I did a nursing course a couple of years ago (failed unfortunately). From what I remember, mental breakdowns and mental instability would affect your Fitness To Practice and be a reason for removal from the course too so you may want to word it better at minimum
I did a nursing course a couple of years ago (failed unfortunately). From what I remember, mental breakdowns and mental instability would affect your Fitness To Practice and be a reason for removal from the course too so you may want to word it better at minimum

Hey, would it like how? Could you give me an example please. And did u appeal?
Hey, would it like how? Could you give me an example please. And did u appeal?

I think you're covered by the HCPC from what I remember and there's a bit more on fitness to practice here https://www.hcpc-uk.org/concerns/what-we-investigate/fitness-to-practise/#:~:text=Purpose%20of%20the%20fitness%20to,to%20practise%20safely%20and%20effectively. and here https://www.hcpc-uk.org/news-and-events/blog/2020/the-importance-of-maintaining-fitness-to-practise-wellbeing-and-seeking-help-where-necessary/
I wasn't removed directly due to my mental health but indirectly. I was going through a bad breakup and couldn't concentrate on my biology unit and ended up failing the exam but online lectures didn't help either, especially considering it was taught by midwives who didn't know how much detail nurses had to know for the exam
Half the people on the course failed because of online lectures and various other issues
I couldn't be bothered to appeal as I realised it was too stressful for me and it was best for me to accept the failure instead of trying to appeal and doing the course for another 3 years.
I ended up deciding to apply through clearing to another university in the same city for another passion of mine (Software Engineering) and, fortunately, I'm doing very well on the course and about to start my 2nd year and I'm currently averaging around 80% which is a First. So glad I changed courses tbh, I'm now so much happier than I was doing nursing even though I found it very satisfying, that wasn't enough
I think you're covered by the HCPC from what I remember and there's a bit more on fitness to practice here https://www.hcpc-uk.org/concerns/what-we-investigate/fitness-to-practise/#:~:text=Purpose%20of%20the%20fitness%20to,to%20practise%20safely%20and%20effectively. and here https://www.hcpc-uk.org/news-and-events/blog/2020/the-importance-of-maintaining-fitness-to-practise-wellbeing-and-seeking-help-where-necessary/
I wasn't removed directly due to my mental health but indirectly. I was going through a bad breakup and couldn't concentrate on my biology unit and ended up failing the exam but online lectures didn't help either, especially considering it was taught by midwives who didn't know how much detail nurses had to know for the exam
Half the people on the course failed because of online lectures and various other issues
I couldn't be bothered to appeal as I realised it was too stressful for me and it was best for me to accept the failure instead of trying to appeal and doing the course for another 3 years.
I ended up deciding to apply through clearing to another university in the same city for another passion of mine (Software Engineering) and, fortunately, I'm doing very well on the course and about to start my 2nd year and I'm currently averaging around 80% which is a First. So glad I changed courses tbh, I'm now so much happier than I was doing nursing even though I found it very satisfying, that wasn't enough

Thank you and that’s nice to hear , glad you’re happy now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending