The Student Room Group

Ordinary degree and psw

Can i get post study work visa with an ordinary degree. Because i failed one module and my uni might me LLB without honours. Can someone help with this?
Original post by Hax12
Can i get post study work visa with an ordinary degree. Because i failed one module and my uni might me LLB without honours. Can someone help with this?

The rules (here and here) make no distinction between an honours degree and an ordinary degree. However, they do require that you have "successfully completed the course". It's possible that if you were studying for an honours degree, and received an exit award of an ordinary degree having failed one module, the university might be squeamish about saying you'd successfully completed the course.

The first of those two pages says, "You can ask your education provider if you’re not sure whether they’ve told the Home Office you’ve successfully completed your course."

There are a couple of suggestions on-line that an exit award would not count:

St Mary's University say here (in the context of the Graduate immigration route) that, "You must successfully complete your entire course, you are not eligible to apply if you leave St Mary’s University with an Exit Award."
Royal Holloway have a template e-mail here discussing the Graduate Immigration Route which says, "If you have been given a resit or repeat outcome, not yet been awarded or given an exit award you will not be considered eligible at this point in time."

It sounds like you need to talk to your university, (a) to establish whether you will receive an exit award (i.e. an ordinary degree rather than an honours degree) and (b) to establish whether they will consider that having "successfully completed your course".

Good luck. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending