The Student Room Group

My first year top tips

Hey guys
It’s coming to the end of my first year at Manchester met!
Just a few easy top tips for you up coming first years…

Bring a flask to uni -
I can’t tell you how much bringing a flask of tea, coffee or hot chocolate to lecture helps you on those 9am mornings! At MMU, the cafe staff are brilliant and let you refill your flasks at the cafe. This way, it can keep you going all day long :smile:
Also, I always enjoy a flask of peppermint tea at the MMU library. If I’m feeling a bit stressed and have a lot to do, a nice herbal tea helps me settle in and get on with my work.

Find your nearest gym-
Gym rat or not, signing up to the gym is a brilliant way for many at uni. It provides me with much needed head space and gets me out my accommodation and also acts a social event. I’m at JD gym in Manchester and they have classes there included in your membership! I find a nice yoga class at the end of a stressful day is sometimes just what I need.

It’s ok to have a day off.-
It can feel like you need to be sociable and busy everyday at uni, but it’s important to have some you time too! If you have time maybe take an evening in the week to chill. Put the diffuser on, make a cup of tea and watch a movie. It’s important to re charge those social batteries for the rest of the week.

these top tips wont be for Everyone, so take away any you want or non at all! I’m sure you will all come up with own by the end of your first term
Feel free to share your own

Best wishes

Emily <3

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Hey guys

Bring a flask to uni -
I can’t tell you how much bringing a flask of tea, coffee or hot chocolate to lecture helps you on those 9am mornings! At MMU, the cafe staff are brilliant and let you refill your flasks at the cafe. This way, it can keep you going all day long :smile:
Also, I always enjoy a flask of peppermint tea at the MMU library. If I’m feeling a bit stressed and have a lot to do, a nice herbal tea helps me settle in and get on with my work.

Find your nearest gym-
Gym rat or not, signing up to the gym is a brilliant way for many at uni. It provides me with much needed head space and gets me out my accommodation and also acts a social event. I’m at JD gym in Manchester and they have classes there included in your membership! I find a nice yoga class at the end of a stressful day is sometimes just what I need.

It can feel like you need to be sociable and busy everyday at uni, but it’s important to have some you time too! If you have time maybe take an evening in the week to chill. Put the diffuser on, make a cup of tea and watch a movie. It’s important to re charge those social batteries for the rest of the week.

these top tips wont be for Everyone, so take away any you want or non at all! I’m sure you will all come up with own by the end of your first term

Best wishes

Emily <3

Pretty good, although gym may be a bit boring for some, perhaps a sports team would be better.
Hey guys

Bring a flask to uni -

Find your nearest gym-

Best wishes

Emily <3

Hey Emily,:wink:

Thanks for sharing your experience and top tips for first-year students. I couldn't agree more with your suggestion to bring a flask to uni. I find myself constantly reaching for my thermos filled with coffee to keep me going through the long studying days.:u:

I'd also add that joining a student society can be a great way to meet new people and make friends with similar interests. It's a great way to take a break from studying and have some fun.

Finally, I couldn't agree more with your point about taking time off. I like to take an entire day off during the week to relax and recharge. It's like doing a hard reset on my brain, and I come back to my work feeling refreshed and energised.:cool:

Thanks again for sharing your tips, and I hope my additions other students in some way.:h:

Good luck,

- Ilya:tongue:
Original post by justlearning1469
Pretty good, although gym may be a bit boring for some, perhaps a sports team would be better.

Hi @justlearning1469
Good point! What team sports would you suggest ?
Best wishes
Emily <3
Original post by De Montfort University

Thanks for sharing your experience and top tips for first-year students. I couldn't agree more with your suggestion to bring a flask to uni. I find myself constantly reaching for my thermos filled with coffee to keep me going through the long studying days.:u:

I'd also add that joining a student society can be a great way to meet new people and make friends with similar interests. It's a great way to take a break from studying and have some fun.

Finally, I couldn't agree more with your point about taking time off. I like to take an entire day off during the week to relax and recharge. It's like doing a hard reset on my brain, and I come back to my work feeling refreshed and energised.:cool:

Thanks again for sharing your tips, and I hope my additions other students in some way.:h:

Good luck,

Hi IIya
I so agree with the student societies of point, that’s also a brilliant way to meet new people :smile: ( aswell as recharge !)
Thanks
Emily <3
Hey guys

Bring a flask to uni -

Find your nearest gym-

Best wishes

Emily <3

Congratulations on successfully completing your first year best of luck with your second year.
Original post by Mohammed_80
Congratulations on successfully completing your first year best of luck with your second year.

Hi @Mohammed Kromah
Thank you !
Are you at uni?
Best wishes
Emily <3
Hi @Mohammed Kromah
Thank you !
Are you at uni?
Best wishes
Emily <3

Emily hey, yeah just in my last few weeks now before I graduate this summer.
Hi @justlearning1469
Good point! What team sports would you suggest ?
Best wishes
Emily <3

Which sports are you good at? What have you played as a kid? What's your intention?

Conventional sports like basketball, soccer are quite competitive, especially for university teams. But they're popular and being good at these sports would boost your social standing.
Emily hey, yeah just in my last few weeks now before I graduate this summer.

Hi @Mohammed_80
Oh fantastic well done ! What university are you at ? Have your enjoyed your degree ?

best wishes

Emily <3
Original post by justlearning1469
Which sports are you good at? What have you played as a kid? What's your intention?

Conventional sports like basketball, soccer are quite competitive, especially for university teams. But they're popular and being good at these sports would boost your social standing.

Hi @justlearning1469
This is the thing about university sports teams I never know how competitive they are going to be. I really want to join footy but I’ve never played before but I always thought it looked fun ! I played a lot of individual sports I swim, ski, cross country and I’m a gymnast.

best wishes

Emily <3
Hi @Mohammed_80
Oh fantastic well done ! What university are you at ? Have your enjoyed your degree ?

best wishes

Emily <3

Emily :heart: thank you very much :colondollar:, I am at University of Hertfordshire. I’ve enjoyed most aspects of the degree I would say some has irrelevance but it will lead me towards what I want to do as a postgraduate :smile:. Stay awesome ✌🏼
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi @justlearning1469
This is the thing about university sports teams I never know how competitive they are going to be. I really want to join footy but I’ve never played before but I always thought it looked fun ! I played a lot of individual sports I swim, ski, cross country and I’m a gymnast.

best wishes

Emily <3

That's quite a few sports... I guess you could try different sports clubs to see which sports you're best at and focus on those sports?

But to me, being very skilled at one sport is better than having minimal skill in several sports.

If you compete for the university in multiple sports, that's going to be very draining...
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi there,
Here are some tips I adopted that helped me get through my first year in the university:

Taking Studies Serious: I was advised that my first year was the easiest year and will define what the end would be. And so, I made good use of that opportunity by focusing more on my studies and making the best grades which actually paid off. I created a workable time table and made sure I followed it strictly.

The university is a different world on its own and you will meet people from different regions in the world. Be mindful of the type of friends you make. I was selective in making friends. If you will not add value to my stay in the university, then we might not be friends. I focused on people who shared the same interest as I did, people who reasoned the same way with me.

With all the class activities, I made sure I created time for resting( should not be traded for anything).

I prayed and asked God for directions. I didn’t and could not achieve all that without the help of God. Always pray and put God first in all that you.

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni Rep
Emily :heart: thank you very much :colondollar:, I am at University of Hertfordshire. I’ve enjoyed most aspects of the degree I would say some has irrelevance but it will lead me towards what I want to do as a postgraduate :smile:. Stay awesome ✌🏼

You too !
Best wishes for the future
Emily <3
Original post by Bradford Rep
Hi there,
Here are some tips I adopted that helped me get through my first year in the university:

Taking Studies Serious: I was advised that my first year was the easiest year and will define what the end would be. And so, I made good use of that opportunity by focusing more on my studies and making the best grades which actually paid off. I created a workable time table and made sure I followed it strictly.

The university is a different world on its own and you will meet people from different regions in the world. Be mindful of the type of friends you make. I was selective in making friends. If you will not add value to my stay in the university, then we might not be friends. I focused on people who shared the same interest as I did, people who reasoned the same way with me.

With all the class activities, I made sure I created time for resting( should not be traded for anything).

I prayed and asked God for directions. I didn’t and could not achieve all that without the help of God. Always pray and put God first in all that you.

Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni Rep

Hi Chuks
These are really interesting ideas!
Thank you

Emily <3
Great tips! Mine would probably be:
- bring a colour changing light bulb/star projector
- use a referencing tool
- use the keyboard shortcut c+f (means you can look up keywords in a PDF/anything on a website)
- you can convert pdf's to word documents by opening the pdf via word if you right click on a document in onedrive
- iPad isn't necessary but its a fun way to take notes

definitely agree with a flask or waterbottle! I like the giant ones :yep:
You too !
Best wishes for the future
Emily <3

Thank you :smile: and you too
Hey guys

Bring a flask to uni -

Find your nearest gym-

Best wishes

Emily <3

Original post by De Montfort University

Good luck,

Brilliant.
Original post by Chronoscope
Great tips! Mine would probably be:
- bring a colour changing light bulb/star projector
- use a referencing tool
- use the keyboard shortcut c+f (means you can look up keywords in a PDF/anything on a website)
- you can convert pdf's to word documents by opening the pdf via word if you right click on a document in onedrive
- iPad isn't necessary but its a fun way to take notes

definitely agree with a flask or waterbottle! I like the giant ones :yep:

Hi @Chronoscope
Fab ideas.
I’ve never used that keyboard shortcut before, I must try that out ! Also, very much agree with the use of the iPad to take notes. I love getting creative in lectures and doodling the work out

thanks
Emily
<3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending