The Student Room Group

Telling my parents that I take antidepressants

I’ve been on antidepressants since November last year. I got to a point with uni and my mental health where I was scared and the therapy on its own wasn’t doing enough for my anxiety and depression. I tried talking to my parents about it but I think they thought I was exaggerating and being autistic and not getting adequate support at uni meant it was obviously hard aside from the relapses. Some say it’s an easy choice to go on medication but it really wasn’t for me, it took months and it was a decision I took when it was the only one left and I was still scared because my parents and previous therapists haven’t supported taking antidepressants. Anyway I’ve been on them now for a long time and they help a lot. I still have to do therapy and live a healthy lifestyle obviously but it’s made it possible to leave the house or my bed. I’ve been thinking about telling my parents about them because I live with them and I trust them but I haven’t managed to and I’m scared of them reacting badly but I also would like if I told them and they supported or were fine with it because I feel bad hiding it even though legally it is my choice if I tell them. What would you do?
Original post by Snowgirl44
I’ve been on antidepressants since November last year. I got to a point with uni and my mental health where I was scared and the therapy on its own wasn’t doing enough for my anxiety and depression. I tried talking to my parents about it but I think they thought I was exaggerating and being autistic and not getting adequate support at uni meant it was obviously hard aside from the relapses. Some say it’s an easy choice to go on medication but it really wasn’t for me, it took months and it was a decision I took when it was the only one left and I was still scared because my parents and previous therapists haven’t supported taking antidepressants. Anyway I’ve been on them now for a long time and they help a lot. I still have to do therapy and live a healthy lifestyle obviously but it’s made it possible to leave the house or my bed. I’ve been thinking about telling my parents about them because I live with them and I trust them but I haven’t managed to and I’m scared of them reacting badly but I also would like if I told them and they supported or were fine with it because I feel bad hiding it even though legally it is my choice if I tell them. What would you do?

Hi! I am currently on my second course of SSRIs. Previous course was couple of years ago and it affected my body weight in a very unfortunate way. However, the pills I am taking now are helpful and my weight seems fine. My parents were informed both of the times about that, and they took it pretty fine, probably, because of my profession. The first time they said something like “if you think that’s what you need then fine” and this time they didn’t react at all.

I usually use a metaphor of any other health issue to help people understand the purpose of antidepressants. For instance, let’s take a stomach ache. Usually people think that’s it’s ridiculous to try something like “don’t think about it”, “just start a diet”, “maybe you are just lazy”. The brain is also an organ and sometimes it malfunctions, just like your stomach. This is the moment when we use medication.

Hope this helps! Wish you luck with your parents.
Reply 2
I had a similar experience with my parents. I don't know the reason why your parents against you taking antidepressants, on my case they just said I don't need them, my situation is not that serious.
My mom is a psychologist (she even teaches children psychology to future teachers) and she couldn't notice I had depression. Only after I told her I attempted suicide at 13 she realized how bad my mental state was (that was late teens). I only took them to stabilize the chemical balance in my brain and slowly took them of. Now I'm off of them for years and feel much better, I doubt I could be that good if I wasn't taking them.

Why are your parents against the antidepressants?
Reply 3
Original post by Kathy89
I had a similar experience with my parents. I don't know the reason why your parents against you taking antidepressants, on my case they just said I don't need them, my situation is not that serious.
My mom is a psychologist (she even teaches children psychology to future teachers) and she couldn't notice I had depression. Only after I told her I attempted suicide at 13 she realized how bad my mental state was (that was late teens). I only took them to stabilize the chemical balance in my brain and slowly took them of. Now I'm off of them for years and feel much better, I doubt I could be that good if I wasn't taking them.

Why are your parents against the antidepressants?

Thanks for sharing your story.

My parents are against them based on what I would call the stigma against them. I had a psychiatrist when I was 16 who was very against antidepressants and publicly debates in media that they don’t work and are prescribed because of the pharmaceutical industry wanting them to. I can’t say I know enough about the politics of it but it seems like an extreme opinion on par with if a doctor was claiming they work for everyone.

Basically when I was 16 I left school and ended up in and out of hospital because of self harm and depression that had come to a point that I couldn’t live everyday life and I was undiagnosed autistic so there was a lot that I didn’t yet know that was contributing to me feeling depressed and anxious and misunderstood.

Often when someone I know who has mental health issues is struggling my mother says maybe their meds are the reason and while sometimes they can mess with you I’ve come to the opinion that that’s more individual than rule and that med reviews and follow up are important for making sure it’s helpful.

I was scared to try antidepressants again because of the stigma, I thought I’d feel numb and gain half my body weight etc but the reality has been pretty uneventful aside from when starting them feeling very nauseous but explaining this to my parents might be important as I still get lows but I feel a difference particularly in my anxiety and catastrophising.

I’m over 18 so my therapist told me it’s my choice if I take them and who I share my health information with, having this choice felt odd because I share most things with my parents and sometimes I feel dishonest and like I’m lying to them.
Reply 4
Original post by Snowgirl44
Thanks for sharing your story.

My parents are against them based on what I would call the stigma against them. I had a psychiatrist when I was 16 who was very against antidepressants and publicly debates in media that they don’t work and are prescribed because of the pharmaceutical industry wanting them to. I can’t say I know enough about the politics of it but it seems like an extreme opinion on par with if a doctor was claiming they work for everyone.

Basically when I was 16 I left school and ended up in and out of hospital because of self harm and depression that had come to a point that I couldn’t live everyday life and I was undiagnosed autistic so there was a lot that I didn’t yet know that was contributing to me feeling depressed and anxious and misunderstood.

Often when someone I know who has mental health issues is struggling my mother says maybe their meds are the reason and while sometimes they can mess with you I’ve come to the opinion that that’s more individual than rule and that med reviews and follow up are important for making sure it’s helpful.

I was scared to try antidepressants again because of the stigma, I thought I’d feel numb and gain half my body weight etc but the reality has been pretty uneventful aside from when starting them feeling very nauseous but explaining this to my parents might be important as I still get lows but I feel a difference particularly in my anxiety and catastrophising.

I’m over 18 so my therapist told me it’s my choice if I take them and who I share my health information with, having this choice felt odd because I share most things with my parents and sometimes I feel dishonest and like I’m lying to them.

Yeah, it is hard to tell your parents you are doing something they don't approve, but still it is your choice. If the meds make you feel better it is the most important thing.
I wish you the best luck with explaining them your situation. Be prepared to long and annoying conversations :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Please let your parents to be a part of your life. I think you will feel better after you tell them everything
Reply 6
Original post by Kathy89
Yeah, it is hard to tell your parents you are doing something they don't approve, but still it is your choice. If the meds make you feel better it is the most important thing.
I wish you the best luck with explaining them your situation. Be prepared to long and annoying conversations :smile:

Thanks 😊 yeah I hope it can be a long but useful discussion when I choose to have it but yeah it is my choice as you say and it’s mostly a kind of awkward thing when it’s been so long because while I’ve stabilised it’s not like if I told them sooner
Hi. Same my parents weren't supportive of the fact of me taking anti depressants but i was 14 at the time self harming, undaignosed autism again (though an investigatation was underway), suicidal thoughts it got to the point where i was no longer able to attend school unless i took anti depressants as the school said i was too much orlf a risk and may have been close to being put into hospital so essentially i was forced into having it and parents had no choice but to agree.bthey weren't keen because of side effects and thought 'relaxation positive thought and being religious will fix it all'.
It helped though but after taking them i did start having panic attacks which fgot more and more debilitating. Whether this was caused my antidepressants or just Co incidence timing we don't know but when it came to having meds for this they weren't happy them Eitger until they saw a couple of my 'attacks or autistic meltdowns and they were like na, we don't want you having that so if the med was going to help calm me down the they were like fine but it was more 'save is from embarrassment '.
But as much as i knew how bad my anxiety and attacks/ melt downs were and the doc willing to give it to me i repeatedly refused for the reason of i wouldn't be able to hide it from my parents and lie i couldn't cheat- take it without taking them. It's only when we get going away on holiday and they were like dont you do dare have a meltdown at airport etc that they reluctantly agreed
I think try and choose a right time and explain it to them. Reassure them undersrwvs there reasons. IE i know your worried about side effects but the doc is regularly reviewing me. Or what helps KY parents with the med for anxiety I've got is that its on a temporary as and when i need it. I do take it though sometimes out side of their knowledge though at same. Have a calm honest discuss when it feels right.

Quick Reply

Latest