The Student Room Group

Can you help me decide?

(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Kiddo276
I'm gonna try sum things up as shortly as I can:

In 2016 I started a foundation year in Physics, in September 2017, I left due to schizophrenia.

In 2019 I started an Economics course. Completed in 2022.

Schizophrenia means that if I am not medicated my brain gets over excited and creates delusions, paranoia and hears or sees things.

Medication means that I suffer from somnolence and metabolic syndrome.

2022, I have an offer to study Economics at Masters level.

I'm worried Economics isn't for me. I want to study Astronomy through the open uni, part time instead because it means no travelling and working on an interest.

Economics and Physics are both interests of mine, but academically I find it easier to read about Astronomy than I do Economics.

How do I decide between a part time astronomy through open university, or a Economics masters at a physical institute which requires attendance.

To re-iterate, physically I am disabled due to the medication, and if not the medication, then mentally if I go off of medication.

To attend a physical university requires me to go off of medication or flunk out because of attendance.

Any advice, help or techniques to figure out what I want to do?

(Edit: Academic qualifications, Maths and Physics A, Bachelor of Arts in Economics)

Hey there :hi:
First of all, huge congrats on your results :hugs: so exciting to go to uni and I'm sure it will be awesome no matter where you go!

I think that this is really about you and your experience. It might be cool to take some time and really decide what you want out of your University experience. I would definitely chat to friends, family and even your parents about what might be best for you, the future and maybe your career.

Overall personally I believe from reading your post and your circumstances detailed there, that going for the Open Uni might be a really awesome option. I think you should value looking after your health and wellbeing and I think having a more relaxed part-time study in a subject that you are really passionate about is the way to go.

Please feel free to check out some relevant TSR forums that could also be super helpful - there is one for Physics/astronomy uni courses and the Open Uni.

All the best,
Cheese :hugs:
Reply 2
Thank you Cheese

I've decided to go with the open university and focus on physics. I'm looking forward to gravity, general relativity and cosmology :biggrin:
Original post by Kiddo276
Thank you Cheese

I've decided to go with the open university and focus on physics. I'm looking forward to gravity, general relativity and cosmology :biggrin:

No worries :hugs:
That sounds amazing, all the best with everything and feel free to pop back on TSR if you need any further help/advice with anything :smile:
Best wishes,
Cheese :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending