The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Parking at University of Kent Canterbury

I'm applying to study Computer Science at Kent in September, and I will be commuting from home. I live in Rainham, outside of the exclusion zones, so I should hopefully be able to get a permit. Since the bus doesn't stop in Rainham, my only alternative is a train and then a bus from Canterbury East station, which will be very expensive and an overall 3 hour commute each day, so I would like to avoid it. Since I should be able to get a permit, my question is how is the situation with parking spaces? Should I have to worry about having somewhere to park every day or will I be okay? Thanks
Original post by nulekpl2
I'm applying to study Computer Science at Kent in September, and I will be commuting from home. I live in Rainham, outside of the exclusion zones, so I should hopefully be able to get a permit. Since the bus doesn't stop in Rainham, my only alternative is a train and then a bus from Canterbury East station, which will be very expensive and an overall 3 hour commute each day, so I would like to avoid it. Since I should be able to get a permit, my question is how is the situation with parking spaces? Should I have to worry about having somewhere to park every day or will I be okay? Thanks

Hi there

Although I cannot comment on whether you will get a permit, there are often parking available at the University of Kent.

Most students at Kent live on campus or are in close proximities, so they are not given a parking permit. There are several car parks in Kent, when I walk pass the ones near the Woolf accommodation block, there are often spaces available, so if you are granted a permit, you should not have to worry about parking.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

Although I cannot comment on whether you will get a permit, there are often parking available at the University of Kent.

Most students at Kent live on campus or are in close proximities, so they are not given a parking permit. There are several car parks in Kent, when I walk pass the ones near the Woolf accommodation block, there are often spaces available, so if you are granted a permit, you should not have to worry about parking.

I hope this helps.
Chloe

That's great to hear. I sent the transport team an email asking about the probability of being granted a permit, but if you say that there are many parking spaces available, that fills me with confidence about getting one. Thanks!
Original post by nulekpl2
That's great to hear. I sent the transport team an email asking about the probability of being granted a permit, but if you say that there are many parking spaces available, that fills me with confidence about getting one. Thanks!

Hi @nulekpl2 ,

As my friend Chloe said, I cannot give you a yes or no if you will be granted a permit but I live just outside the exclusion zone and got one.

The spaces where you can park (Blue Zone) with a normal student permit do fill up fast in the mornings but these are the ones that are closer to central campus/where my lectures usually are. I usually find parking in Parkwood there is a space (10-15 minute walk depending on where your lecture is) so it isn't that far!

Do note that if you get a student permit, you CAN NOT park in a pay and display area even if you pay for the duration of your stay. This caught me out once! Do make a note of where you can park and make sure there is signage saying 'blue zone'. It is a little confusing as some of the blue zones are also pay and display car parks but the signage will make it clear. There is a map to show you where the blue zones are here: https://media.www.kent.ac.uk/se/22540/Parkingmap-Canterbury.pdf.

I hope this helped.

Alia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending