The Student Room Group

should I withdraw from my offer?

A few months ago I recieved an offer from Nottingham for Biochemistry, I accepted it at the time but am now sure I'm not going and I am taking a gap year. Results is in 2 days. Am i better waiting and then not enrolling or should I call UCAS to withdraw? Im wary to just not enrol because I intend on reapplying for this course next year again and fear it will hinder my chances.
Original post by jessicab2005
A few months ago I recieved an offer from Nottingham for Biochemistry, I accepted it at the time but am now sure I'm not going and I am taking a gap year. Results is in 2 days. Am i better waiting and then not enrolling or should I call UCAS to withdraw? Im wary to just not enrol because I intend on reapplying for this course next year again and fear it will hinder my chances.

Surely the best idea is to wait until after results day. Assess your options then, and if you are still of the same mind, actively decline the offer in a few days time? There's no need to just not turn up/enrol, you can decline. If you do it soon after results day then they can usually offer the place elsewhere.

Uni's don't keep applications from year to year.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Surely the best idea is to wait until after results day. Assess your options then, and if you are still of the same mind, actively decline the offer in a few days time? There's no need to just not turn up/enrol, you can decline. If you do it soon after results day then they can usually offer the place elsewhere.

So on results day, if I meet the entry requirements I am still able to decline the offer?
Reply 3
So on results day, if I meet the entry requirements I am still able to decline the offer?

If you do meet the offer it would be worth contacting the university and ask if you can defer for a year. It's a fairly common request and if they agreed it would save you the stress of having to reapply
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift

Could OP phone the university on results day and ask to defer their start date to September 2024? (Obviously if the university say no, OP can then decline the place.)

Yes, but as others have said, you could also ask if they could offer you a deferred place.

Even then, you could give that up in the autumn if you decide to make a completely different application for next year.
Reply 6

Wait until results day.If you get in you can ring up the uni and ask if you can defer for a year.If they agree you can go off and enjoy yourself knowing you have your place in the bag.If you change your mind before January you could still contact the uni and ask to be released before applying elsewhere.
Reply 7
Original post by Scotney
Wait until results day.If you get in you can ring up the uni and ask if you can defer for a year.If they agree you can go off and enjoy yourself knowing you have your place in the bag.If you change your mind before January you could still contact the uni and ask to be released before applying elsewhere.

VERY good advice here - take time to think carefully about exactly what you do want to do next.
Reply 8
Thanks to everyone for the advice! If I get accepted tomorrow I'm going to call the uni to defer!
Reply 9
Thanks to everyone for the advice! If I get accepted tomorrow I'm going to call the uni to defer!

Great.Best of luck with your results.

Best of luck to you today, we are here to help + support you if you have any further questions :grouphugs:
#BeResultsProud

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending