The Student Room Group

UCAS Kerfuffle - advice appreciated.

Hi all,

I have never posted on this forum yet but due to a lack of know=how about university applications I need to ask a question.

At the start of the year I applied to study an OU course (WMX151), but I have no interest in law and the application essentially bare face lied about the volume of work required, so I had hoped to withdraw. On my Uni application I have put this down as one of my subjects, however I have now been told that I'll need to complete the work before the 30th Jan which I have no intention of doing. I was advised by my UCAS coordinator to keep it on my application and that way I could complete it only if I received a conditional offer on that specification (Which I think unlikely as I should at least be able to meet the minimum entry requirments). Does anyone know what I can do about this? As I'm unlikely to receive an offer till after Jan when I'll have presumably been kicked out meaning I'd have no way of doing the work if I receive a conditional based on this course.

As I am applying for history and this is a course for law, I'm hoping to high God that I won't be made a conditional based on this.
Original post by Llanfair_578
Hi all,

I have never posted on this forum yet but due to a lack of know=how about university applications I need to ask a question.

At the start of the year I applied to study an OU course (WMX151), but I have no interest in law and the application essentially bare face lied about the volume of work required, so I had hoped to withdraw. On my Uni application I have put this down as one of my subjects, however I have now been told that I'll need to complete the work before the 30th Jan which I have no intention of doing. I was advised by my UCAS coordinator to keep it on my application and that way I could complete it only if I received a conditional offer on that specification (Which I think unlikely as I should at least be able to meet the minimum entry requirments). Does anyone know what I can do about this? As I'm unlikely to receive an offer till after Jan when I'll have presumably been kicked out meaning I'd have no way of doing the work if I receive a conditional based on this course.

As I am applying for history and this is a course for law, I'm hoping to high God that I won't be made a conditional based on this.

You need to declare all attempted qualifications on your UCAS application, whether you withdraw or fail or what have you. Failure to do so can lead to UCAS declaring your application fraudulent, allowing any unis having made offers to nullify them, and UCAS may exclude you from this and potentially even future application cycles.

In terms of whether it will be part of a conditional offer this is up to the uni if you list it as a pending grade. If you aren't going to complete the module you should complete the formal withdrawal process with the OU and list the course on UCAS accordingly i.e. that you withdrew before completing. They won't make it part of a conditional offer in that case.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
You need to declare all attempted qualifications on your UCAS application, whether you withdraw or fail or what have you. Failure to do so can lead to UCAS declaring your application fraudulent, allowing any unis having made offers to nullify them, and UCAS may exclude you from this and potentially even future application cycles.

In terms of whether it will be part of a conditional offer this is up to the uni if you list it as a pending grade. If you aren't going to complete the module you should complete the formal withdrawal process with the OU and list the course on UCAS accordingly i.e. that you withdrew before completing. They won't make it part of a conditional offer in that case.

Thank you for this advice. How do I go about letting UCAS know this?
Original post by Llanfair_578
Thank you for this advice. How do I go about letting UCAS know this?

You add it when you apply? If you've already submitted your application and subsequently withdraw from the course you'll need to let UCAS know and all the unis you've applied to. If you haven't yet submitted it you just need to amend the relevant section.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending