The Student Room Group

Does previous study affect PGCE maintenance entitlement?

Hi,

I had quite a but of previous study back in 2006, I attended uni for 4 years, (foundation year plus 3 years), then dropped out of Uni in the last year.

I returned to part time study recently with the Open University and graduated this year, I have applied and been accepted onto a PGCE programme that starts in September.

Will my previous undergraduate study impact my ability to get maintenance loans & tuition fee loan support for the PGCE?

I had a bit of a worrying conversation with the student finance advisor who said I would only be eligible for "top up" funding to get my degree.

I explained that it was a PGCE but they just mumbled something about needing to wait for entitlement letters.

Also on that point, I uploaded evidence to support my application at the end of July. The "Next expected update" part of the site says that I won't get an update until May 2024. That was my original reason for calling. At first he said they were still awaiting evidence. But when I advised I had already uploaded it he confirmed he could see it and said that my application was due to be updated on the 06/09/2023 as that will be when the evidence is processed, but then said that I won't then get my final entitlement letter until 21/10/2023! Is this likely to be correct or is there some misunderstanding here about the dates. I made my application in mid July.

Sorry for the complex post I would really appreciate it if you can help me out here!
Original post by mickey_white
Hi,

I had quite a but of previous study back in 2006, I attended uni for 4 years, (foundation year plus 3 years), then dropped out of Uni in the last year.

I returned to part time study recently with the Open University and graduated this year, I have applied and been accepted onto a PGCE programme that starts in September.

Will my previous undergraduate study impact my ability to get maintenance loans & tuition fee loan support for the PGCE?

I had a bit of a worrying conversation with the student finance advisor who said I would only be eligible for "top up" funding to get my degree.

I explained that it was a PGCE but they just mumbled something about needing to wait for entitlement letters.

Also on that point, I uploaded evidence to support my application at the end of July. The "Next expected update" part of the site says that I won't get an update until May 2024. That was my original reason for calling. At first he said they were still awaiting evidence. But when I advised I had already uploaded it he confirmed he could see it and said that my application was due to be updated on the 06/09/2023 as that will be when the evidence is processed, but then said that I won't then get my final entitlement letter until 21/10/2023! Is this likely to be correct or is there some misunderstanding here about the dates. I made my application in mid July.

Sorry for the complex post I would really appreciate it if you can help me out here!

Hi Mickey_white,

PGCE courses are exempt from ELQ & previous study rules if the course of ITT is 2 years or less in duration and the student doesn't already hold Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending