The Student Room Group

Student finance help?

I dropped out of my first year degree in January due to illness, then restarted my degree in September. I now want to transfer to a different degree at a different university at the end of this year. How will this affect my tuition and maintenance loans?
Hi charliesm77,

So I can correctly advise you on this - can you clarify that you have 2 years of previous study before transferring onto your new course and you will be starting the new course from 1st year?

Thanks,
Calum
Reply 2
Original post by Calum SLC
Hi charliesm77,

So I can correctly advise you on this - can you clarify that you have 2 years of previous study before transferring onto your new course and you will be starting the new course from 1st year?

Thanks,
Calum

Hi Calum, yes this is the case :smile:
Original post by charliesm77
Hi Calum, yes this is the case :smile:

Thanks. What is the name of your new course and is it full time or part time? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Thanks. What is the name of your new course and is it full time or part time? Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason, it’s illustration BA and it’s full time.
Hi charliesm77,

Thank you for confirming. Can you also confirm the course length?

Thanks, Clare
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi charliesm77,

Thank you for confirming. Can you also confirm the course length?

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare, it's 3 years.
Hi charliesm77,

Thank you. We calculate your future entitlement as follows: Course length + 1 year - previous study = entitlement. Therefore, if you were to begin a new 3-year course for example and have 2 years of previous study, the calculation would be 3+1-2= 2 years. This means that you will be fully funded for years 2 and 3 of the 3 year course, however for the first year you will need to self fund your tuition fees as you will only receive the Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants if applicable in that year.

*You mentioned that you have Compelling Personal Reasons for not completing your previous course(s), you can apply for an additional year of Tuition Fee Loan if you are able to provide evidence to confirm that. We can accept a letter from your GP and/or University at the time that confirms what happened, how this affected your studies and when.

Thanks, Clare
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi charliesm77,

Thank you. We calculate your future entitlement as follows: Course length + 1 year - previous study = entitlement. Therefore, if you were to begin a new 3-year course for example and have 2 years of previous study, the calculation would be 3+1-2= 2 years. This means that you will be fully funded for years 2 and 3 of the 3 year course, however for the first year you will need to self fund your tuition fees as you will only receive the Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants if applicable in that year.

*You mentioned that you have Compelling Personal Reasons for not completing your previous course(s), you can apply for an additional year of Tuition Fee Loan if you are able to provide evidence to confirm that. We can accept a letter from your GP and/or University at the time that confirms what happened, how this affected your studies and when.

Thanks, Clare

Hi Clare, I sent a letter to SFE yesterday detailing my compelling personal reasons. I sent a letter from my doctor saying that I took time out due to mental health problems, but he did not go into detail. Will that be sufficient or will I need to send more?
Hi charliesm77,

As long as it explains what happened, when this happened and how this directly impacted your studies, it should be acceptable. The assessors will advise if this is accepted once they have processed the evidence for you.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending