The Student Room Group

Starting another degree

Hello,

For the past few years I have studied civil engineering at university, but recently dropped out due to a change of heart and realization of what I actually would want to be doing in life.

To be more clear, I originally started a civil engineering with foundation year course. In total I would have used 4 years of student finance support.

The course I really would like to be studying is Social Work. I have read about exemption courses and not too sure if this would qualify. Could someone enlighten me on how this works?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by anonav
Hello,

For the past few years I have studied civil engineering at university, but recently dropped out due to a change of heart and realization of what I actually would want to be doing in life.

To be more clear, I originally started a civil engineering with foundation year course. In total I would have used 4 years of student finance support.

The course I really would like to be studying is Social Work. I have read about exemption courses and not too sure if this would qualify. Could someone enlighten me on how this works?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

If you decide to Study Social Work as a full-time course you'll only be entitled to the Maintenance Loan due to your previous study.

However, Social Work can an exception when studied part-time. This means you'll be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan for the duration. So long as the course isn't distance learning you should also be entitled a Maintenance Loan too.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Thank you Graeme!

Another question if you don’t mind, if I wanted to say study Marketing instead, is it the same rules? Would I be only entitled to a maintenance loan if I was to do Marketing full time given my previous circumstances?

Thanks again.
Yes, that's right if this is a full-time course. If you have a particular university in mind it may be worth asking them if doing either of these part-time is an option.

Thanks, Graeme

Original post by anonav
Thank you Graeme!

Another question if you don’t mind, if I wanted to say study Marketing instead, is it the same rules? Would I be only entitled to a maintenance loan if I was to do Marketing full time given my previous circumstances?

Thanks again.
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Yes, that's right if this is a full-time course. If you have a particular university in mind it may be worth asking them if doing either of these part-time is an option.

Thanks, Graeme

As long as the maintenance loan is covered, I believe I will be alright. As my original course was 4 years + 1 extra year of funding, does this mean the next course I potentially study will have 1 year of tuition paid? Given I only used 4/5 of the years of funding?

Thanks.
Original post by anonav
As long as the maintenance loan is covered, I believe I will be alright. As my original course was 4 years + 1 extra year of funding, does this mean the next course I potentially study will have 1 year of tuition paid? Given I only used 4/5 of the years of funding?

Thanks.

Hi anonav,

It is dependent on the length of your new course, as the calculation is - course length + 1 year - previous study years. For example, if the new course is 4 years in length, it will be 4+1-4 (if this is how many years you attended) = 1 year

The 1 year will be applied to the 4th and final year of your course, therefore you will be eligible for the Maintenance Loan and grants in years 1, 2 and 3 however, in years 4 you will also receive the Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending