The Student Room Group

d

kk
(edited 8 months ago)
Can you afford the fees for a second undergraduate degree?
I’m guessing you’re fairly well off if you’re applying for an MSc with an undergraduate masters already (so no postgraduate loan availability).

I would recommend that you speak to the admissions teams for the universities involved (pg and ug admissions are usually separate teams) and ask a) for more detailed feedback on your rejected application for 2023 entry and b) their advice on how to improve your chances of an offer for 2024 entry.
As PQ has stated usually the teams are completely different so it might not even get noticed. If you want to apply for both then definitely speak to the university, or try and get to an open day to speak to the admissions team in person along with the academic team. If you have the experience you may be taken onto the MSc without any problems but this would usually be down to the academic lead to asses your suitability, so meeting them in person if possible can be hugely beneficial.
Reply 3
kk
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by deadpanprint
I don't really want to go into my finances too much here... I have a well-paid job & have been living with my parents for the years since graduating so I have saved most of it

After receiving the rejections I did ask for information like you have recommended in a & b, and received very generic responses from all of the departments along the lines of "we receive a lot of good applications, we can't accept everyone, we can't offer personalised feedback to everyone" - I suspect these types of emails don't make it past an office administrator to get to the actual admissions team.

I think you are correct about meeting them in person - I don't think emails tend to get through to the person you need to speak to. I have looked before to see if there were open days for the masters courses, however it seems rare that postgrad courses have open days (I didn't see any for oxford or imperial) - but perhaps that wass just a covid thing, I will check again for this year, though a quick google doesn't look promising

Postgraduate events are definitely harder to find across the sector to be honest. If you can get in touch with their recruitment team you may be able to organise a bespoke visit whilst also being able to combine this with a chat with the relevant academic team. There are no guarantees this is something they will be able to offer but it's worth a try and at worst, try requesting the academic leads email to discuss your options :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending