The Student Room Group

Going to uni with a level 2 BTEC

I have my 3 a-level results totalling 112 ucas points. I have a level 2 btec which should be worth 28 ucas points and I was wondering if people have experience with using level 2s as part of their application. My condition for the uni is 4 qualifications totaling 120 ucas points. It does not specify the level of the qualification so I am unsure if I can use a level 2 to boost the score up?
Original post by GroyzKT3
I have my 3 a-level results totalling 112 ucas points. I have a level 2 btec which should be worth 28 ucas points and I was wondering if people have experience with using level 2s as part of their application. My condition for the uni is 4 qualifications totaling 120 ucas points. It does not specify the level of the qualification so I am unsure if I can use a level 2 to boost the score up?

The vast majority of unis will want your UCAS points to come solely from level 3 qualifications, some also specify it must be only 3 of them. You can talk to the uni, however I would be surprised if that was something they are happy to accept.
Reply 2
Original post by Lemur14
The vast majority of unis will want your UCAS points to come solely from level 3 qualifications, some also specify it must be only 3 of them. You can talk to the uni, however I would be surprised if that was something they are happy to accept.

I spoke to the uni earlier and the woman on the phone said they'd accept it but I haven't found anything where people have been in similar positions which is concerning :/
I spoke to the uni earlier and the woman on the phone said they'd accept it but I haven't found anything where people have been in similar positions which is concerning :/

I mean if the uni said they would accept it then that is a good start. Was this a clearing offer or a offer you had prior to today?
Reply 4
Original post by Lemur14
I mean if the uni said they would accept it then that is a good start. Was this a clearing offer or a offer you had prior to today?

I already had the (conditional) offer because it is a part of my degree apprenticeship so I don't just have uni on the line XD
Scary
I already had the (conditional) offer because it is a part of my degree apprenticeship so I don't just have uni on the line XD
Scary

Did you have to apply through UCAS? If so, have you had a decision on there?
Reply 6
Original post by Lemur14
Did you have to apply through UCAS? If so, have you had a decision on there?

I applied through the university directly
I applied through the university directly

Ah, you may need to speak to them directly again to ask them to confirm in writing they will be able to accept you since you won't receive updates directly.
Reply 8
Original post by Lemur14
Ah, you may need to speak to them directly again to ask them to confirm in writing they will be able to accept you since you won't receive updates directly.

Well, sitrep
I used my level 2 BTEC and 118 UCAS points worth of A-levels and got accepted. My condition was 120 UCAS points so I guess they did accept it.
Reply 9
Level 2 btec which should be worth 28 ucas points

Level 2 qualifications are not worth any UCAS points - what you have is the equivalent of a GCSE.
Reply 10
Even GCSE

Original post by McGinger
Level 2 qualifications are not worth any UCAS points - what you have is the equivalent of a GCSE.

Even GCSEs have UCAS value just low. I phoned the uni on the 17th and they said they would accept level 2 qualification as long as they were within the guidelines of the condition which it was. Using the level 2, I got into the uni, soo
Even GCSE

Even GCSEs have UCAS value just low. I phoned the uni on the 17th and they said they would accept level 2 qualification as long as they were within the guidelines of the condition which it was. Using the level 2, I got into the uni, soo

Universities dont accept GCSE or level 2 btec. What often happens is that universities accept lower level 3 ucas points than the offer they make. This is very common and a drop of 8 ucas points which is the equivalent of 1 A level grade is accepted more often than not. This is what has probably happened to you.
Reply 12
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities dont accept GCSE or level 2 btec. What often happens is that universities accept lower level 3 ucas points than the offer they make. This is very common and a drop of 8 ucas points which is the equivalent of 1 A level grade is accepted more often than not. This is what has probably happened to you.

Well when i called them they said they would accept it for my conditions so
Reply 13

Even GCSEs have UCAS value just low.

Please give me the weblink to the UCAS page that tells you their 'UCAS value'.
Well, sitrep
I used my level 2 BTEC and 118 UCAS points worth of A-levels and got accepted. My condition was 120 UCAS points so I guess they did accept it.

Ah 118 UCAS points when your offer is 120 is highly likely they would be happy to take you regardless of your level 2 BTEC. But congrats on your uni place :yay:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending