The Student Room Group

A-Level Subjects

I’ve just started sixth form at my secondary school and i love my teachers and the school itself however i have an issue which is i originally picked A-level english, history and sociology in hope to further study journalism at university in 2025 however i got informed that at my school there’s not enough students to run the history course this year and i will have to pick a different option now i’m not interested in maths or science and they’re the only other A-levels available to me but if i did them i know i would do badly so my only other option is a BTEC my school does run a media studies course which i’m willing to take in replacement for history however i really want to go to university and i’m just wondering if universities will still take my application seriously if i have 2 A-levels and 1 BTEC instead of 3 A-levels
Original post by ellafaulkner07
I’ve just started sixth form at my secondary school and i love my teachers and the school itself however i have an issue which is i originally picked A-level english, history and sociology in hope to further study journalism at university in 2025 however i got informed that at my school there’s not enough students to run the history course this year and i will have to pick a different option now i’m not interested in maths or science and they’re the only other A-levels available to me but if i did them i know i would do badly so my only other option is a BTEC my school does run a media studies course which i’m willing to take in replacement for history however i really want to go to university and i’m just wondering if universities will still take my application seriously if i have 2 A-levels and 1 BTEC instead of 3 A-levels

Did you have any target universities in mind? Have you checked their entry requirements for Journalism? Many will be perfectly happy with two A levels and one BTEC Extended Certificate.

Yes you can go uni
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/can-you-get-into-university-if-youre-studying-btecs
Check the course and uni though
For example https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/2024/journalism-studies-ba
A Levels: ABB
BTEC Extended Diploma DDD in a relevant subject
BTEC Diploma DD + B at A Level
Reply 3

Depends on which unis you are thinking off, some are a bit iffy with BTECs but it really depends

Quick Reply

Latest