The Student Room Group

1 mark away from A in chemistry !!!!

Do i send this for a re mark?? has anyone been in a similar situation to this,has anyone had there marks increased after re marking?? any information will be helpful.
Original post by Mariam2409
Do i send this for a re mark?? has anyone been in a similar situation to this,has anyone had there marks increased after re marking?? any information will be helpful.

Hey there,

So first thing is that "remarks" are actually called a review of marking. It's a check that exam boards do to make sure the exam board has followed the correct processes and calculated your grade correctly. It's not where they will look at your answers and re-evaluate them.

If you are close to the grade above in a subject, it may be worth getting a review of marking and you need to speak to your school about this. If you are close to the grade below, getting a review of marking can be risky because there is a small chance that your marks can be lowered.

Most grades will stay the same, some go up and a small amount may go down. The first thing that you need to do is talk about this to your school. One question, is university your next step?
(edited 8 months ago)

Ask your sixth form to request your exam scripts back in pdf form. Then let them mark them against the mark scheme (which they should be able to access on the exam boards secure website) and send off the one(s) you are most likely to get marked up on.

last year i was in a similar situation and i went for the remark and got +8 marks, go for it mate!!!
Does it make a difference to your offers? If not then its not necessary. Annoying but not something you need to do.

If it is then do the suggestion above.
Reply 5
Original post by DDC=Holloway
last year i was in a similar situation and i went for the remark and got +8 marks, go for it mate!!!

hi which subject was it
Reply 6
thank you
Original post by KA_P
Hey there,

So first thing is that "remarks" are actually called a review of marking. It's a check that exam boards do to make sure the exam board has followed the correct processes and calculated your grade correctly. It's not where they will look at your answers and re-evaluate them.

If you are close to the grade above in a subject, it may be worth getting a review of marking and you need to speak to your school about this. If you are close to the grade below, getting a review of marking can be risky because there is a small chance that your marks can be lowered.

Most grades will stay the same, some go up and a small amount may go down. The first thing that you need to do is talk about this to your school. One question, is university your next step?

Original post by totallyfine
Does it make a difference to your offers? If not then its not necessary. Annoying but not something you need to do.

If it is then do the suggestion above.

yes it does i need a A in chem,thank you
thank you

yes it does i need a A in chem,thank you

Then absolutely get it checked. Your sixth form can help set thsi up

Hey!:h:

I was in your position last year- I received a B initially on results day and was 1 mark from the A. I needed the A to pursue my chosen course so I sent it off to review. My grade did increase to the A thankfully. :biggrin:

But there are some things to think about before making the decision:

- do you need the A to pursue your chosen course? If not, you might feel that the review isn’t entirely necessary. The good thing here is you’re very close to the grade above so the chances are pretty slim your grade will fall into a C but as with a lot of things, there’s a risk.:frown:

- If you do decide to send off for a review, it’s better to send one paper off- perhaps the one with the lowest mark etc. This is so you can avoid gaining a mark in one paper and then losing it in another. :redface:

- I would also suggest you get access to your script (your exam paper) so you can run this through with a teacher before sending for the review. If your teacher feels you deserve a mark somewhere but you’ve not been awarded the mark, then you could send it off. Unfortunately, reviews do cost a bit of money ( and it quickly adds up should you decide to send off multiple papers) so going through the paper initially might save you some cash.

- Also, if you go ahead, it’s worth asking your school if they can pay for the review. My school didn’t do this but it’s worth the ask as I’ve seen other schools offer this.

Hope this helped!

Good luck!:h:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Jessi2004
Hey!:h:

I was in your position last year- I received a B initially on results day and was 1 mark from the A. I needed the A to pursue my chosen course so I sent it off to review. My grade did increase to the A thankfully. :biggrin:

But there are some things to think about before making the decision:

- do you need the A to pursue your chosen course? If not, you might feel that the review isn’t entirely necessary. The good thing here is you’re very close to the grade above so the chances are pretty slim your grade will fall into a C but as with a lot of things, there’s a risk.:frown:

- If you do decide to send off for a review, it’s better to send one paper off- perhaps the one with the lowest mark etc. This is so you can avoid gaining a mark in one paper and then losing it in another. :redface:

- I would also suggest you get access to your script (your exam paper) so you can run this through with a teacher before sending for the review. If your teacher feels you deserve a mark somewhere but you’ve not been awarded the mark, then you could send it off. Unfortunately, reviews do cost a bit of money ( and it quickly adds up should you decide to send off multiple papers) so going through the paper initially might save you some cash.

- Also, if you go ahead, it’s worth asking your school if they can pay for the review. My school didn’t do this but it’s worth the ask as I’ve seen other schools offer this.

Hope this helped!

Good luck!:h:

Hi Jess thank you for replying ,means a lot ,can i ask which subject was this that you got remarked
hi which subject was it

biblical hebrew adv, AQA
Reply 11
thank you
biblical hebrew adv, AQA
thank you

sorry i know its not the most relevant subject but i had some great memories with my hebrew study buddies!
Hi Jess thank you for replying ,means a lot ,can i ask which subject was this that you got remarked

No worries. It was AQA A Level Chemistry :smile:

thats some good marks!
(edited 8 months ago)

there is a risk in remarking it: either your actual grades are lower, or they stay the same, but there is an off chance that your grades really are an A
I have to ask though, is this your final year of GCSEs? Because you can always bring it up in your second year (if you do have them...), I can't imagine it wouldn't be that hard since you're already in the threshold.

Quick Reply

Latest