The Student Room Group

GCSE Results Day 2023 - Retake and "Remark" Information

GCSE Results Day 2023 - Retake and "Remark" Information

Hi everyone! :wavey:

GCSE Results Day isn’t too far away and many of you may be wondering what you need to do if your results aren’t what you were expecting. We’re all rooting for you to do well, but as with most exams, there will be some of you that unfortunately feel a little disheartened.

If you’re unhappy with your results, the first thing we recommend that you do is talk to your teachers, as they are best suited to giving you tailored advice, as they’ve seen your progress and academic ability first hand. However, if you’re curious about reviews of marking and retakes, or your teacher suggests one of them, then the details below should help you understand them better!

The purpose of this thread is to give you all the information you need if you’re considering getting a review of marking or retaking an exam. I'll try to cover as much as I can and I’ll focus on the most common questions that come up, but if you’re still a little bit stuck then feel free to comment, and one of us will get back to you.

The first thing you should know about remarks is that they are not actually remarks - they are called reviews of marking, and they are a check to see whether the mark awarded on each question is reasonable - if the examiner deems them unreasonable, then it will be reassessed (essentially remarked), but if they are deemed reasonable, then the mark stands for that question.

Retakes

Reviews of Marking

If you didn't do as well as you hoped then here are some general questions answered in this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7384871

Good luck to everyone :hugs:
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

If I got 2 marks off a 9 in both biology and Spanish do you think it would be worth getting them both remarked and I know there isn’t much difference between an 8 and a 9 but it’s just for my personal validation
Original post by ryananderson06
If I got 2 marks off a 9 in both biology and Spanish do you think it would be worth getting them both remarked and I know there isn’t much difference between an 8 and a 9 but it’s just for my personal validation

Ask your school for a priority copy of your papers and see if a teacher is able to have a look and see if they reckon there are any more marks in there :smile:
Reply 3
I am 2 marks off a 9 in English language and 8 marks into the boundary for an 8- do I get it remarked and if so do I pay for both papers to increase my chance of going up a grade or do I do just one so I don’t end up losing a lot of money if the grade stays the same/decreases?
Original post by ailsak1234
I am 2 marks off a 9 in English language and 8 marks into the boundary for an 8- do I get it remarked and if so do I pay for both papers to increase my chance of going up a grade or do I do just one so I don’t end up losing a lot of money if the grade stays the same/decreases?

It's up to you - but the deadline for reviews of marking are not for a few weeks so you could potentially put in one today and then wait until your school's deadline before deciding about the other, it may come back in time for you to see if it went up enough on just one paper? But nowadays we would usually just advise you get the paper back and get someone to take a look and see if it is likely to go up (although this is more difficult to judge in English than say maths)

i was one mark off a 9 in english language and i remarked it for £50 smth for edexcel and im hoping i get the money back but i think u should only remark one paper not both!! congrats
Reply 6
Original post by Lemur14
It's up to you - but the deadline for reviews of marking are not for a few weeks so you could potentially put in one today and then wait until your school's deadline before deciding about the other, it may come back in time for you to see if it went up enough on just one paper? But nowadays we would usually just advise you get the paper back and get someone to take a look and see if it is likely to go up (although this is more difficult to judge in English than say maths)

I’m not sure it’s worth asking a teacher as English is so subjective and my English teachers have always marked me close to full marks in my mocks and I don’t think I did any worse in the real thing. I’m also nervous to rely on one paper returning in time in case the grade doesn’t increase as with both all it takes is for one paper to increase in order to get a refund for both. and if I do just one paper which do I choose- I got slightly higher in one than the other but idk if that makes a difference
Reply 7
if i was 2 off an 8 in spanish is it worth a remark??
and if i was 4 off in geo from an 8 is it worth a remark (i've never scored this low before and it just felt a bit off)
^ my parents are mad about my 2 7s and if i can get these 2 both up then they're ok with only 8s and 9s
Reply 8
Original post by soutu
if i was 2 off an 8 in spanish is it worth a remark??
and if i was 4 off in geo from an 8 is it worth a remark (i've never scored this low before and it just felt a bit off)
^ my parents are mad about my 2 7s and if i can get these 2 both up then they're ok with only 8s and 9s

As a parent of a GCSE student I would advise you to only get a review if it matters to you rather than anyone else. It sounds like you've done brilliantly and I hope you are very proud of yourself. Good luck whatever you decide to do but a big well done!
Reply 9
Hi, I have a question on which subjects you think I should get a remark for as I’m confused:
English Lit - 5 marks off an 8
Geography - 4 marks off a 9
Chemistry - 4 marks off a 9
Physics - 4 marks off an 8
Biology - 2 marks off an 8
Original post by YungZedd
Hi, I have a question on which subjects you think I should get a remark for as I’m confused:
English Lit - 5 marks off an 8
Geography - 4 marks off a 9
Chemistry - 4 marks off a 9
Physics - 4 marks off an 8
Biology - 2 marks off an 8

It depends what you want to do in the future. If you want to do Engineering, you may want to consider increasing your Physics grades. Likewise, if you want to study Chemistry at university, a 9 would make you look like a strong candidate. But you should first consider whether you want to re-mark both papers or just 1 of them. It would be advisable that you talk to your teachers and let them see whether it is worth doing a re-mark.

Just keep in mind that it might be easier to get marks in some subjects than others. For example, essays tend to be a bit easier to gain marks while subjects like Maths and Sciences have a strict mark scheme to follow. If you are confident you are a strong student in any of those subjects who has been performing well and has been getting high grades, why not re-mark?
(edited 8 months ago)
Hey, just wanted some advice.I got a grade 4 in English Language which is unusual compared to mocks where I was getting 6-7.The paper has been sent in for a remark by my school due to it being close to the next grade up, I desperately need the grade 5 in all honesty.What are the chances of it actually going up or should i change plans to accommodate the grade?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by josceline1w4
Hey, just wanted some advice.I got a grade 4 in English Language which is unusual compared to mocks where I was getting 6-7.The paper has been sent in for a remark by my school due to it being close to the next grade up, I desperately need the grade 5 in all honesty.What are the chances of it actually going up or should i change plans to accommodate the grade?

depends how many marks off.
English is quite subjective so it could def go up a few marks but beware because it could also go down.
Original post by soutu
depends how many marks off.
English is quite subjective so it could def go up a few marks but beware because it could also go down.

I'm 2 marks up from the next grade
Reply 14
What’s the deadline for remarks?
I’m not sure it’s worth asking a teacher as English is so subjective and my English teachers have always marked me close to full marks in my mocks and I don’t think I did any worse in the real thing. I’m also nervous to rely on one paper returning in time in case the grade doesn’t increase as with both all it takes is for one paper to increase in order to get a refund for both. and if I do just one paper which do I choose- I got slightly higher in one than the other but idk if that makes a difference

I don't believe the bit I have bolded is true unfortunately, it is only the paper that pushes you over the grade boundary that is refunded. Edit: Apparently this has changed recently so ignore me on that bit :getmecoat:
If you usually do similarly in each paper (and felt they went equally well on the day) then I'd go for the paper with the lower score - more potential marks that could be found. But if you usually do much better in the paper that is higher then you could put the higher one in :smile:
Original post by YungZedd
What’s the deadline for remarks?

Depends on your school, but it must reach the exam board by 28th September. My brother's school I believe have said the 22nd September, but other schools may be earlier or later depending on their size and the capacity of the exams team. Best to talk to your school early if you are unsure.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 16
Hello can you give me some advice please?

English Language : 4 marks away from A, 9 marks away from C
English Literature: 1 mark away from A, 10 marks away from C

Is it worth remarking both subjects? Besides, I think that those two subjects were marked very harshly, so is there a chance of CIE being more generous in the remark process?
Original post by Euchacks
Hello can you give me some advice please?

English Language : 4 marks away from A, 9 marks away from C
English Literature: 1 mark away from A, 10 marks away from C

Is it worth remarking both subjects? Besides, I think that those two subjects were marked very harshly, so is there a chance of CIE being more generous in the remark process?

Markers are held to the same standard in the review process, so that alone will not change things. It's hard for anyone to judge really, 1 mark is clearly more likely than 4, but I would recommend getting your papers back and seeing if your English teacher can take a look and advise :smile:
Reply 18
I just received my GCSE results and recieved some grades that I am pleased with and others that I have just missed the next grade by 1 or 2 marks.
I received 6 9s, 3 8s, 1 7 and 1 6.
Biology - I got an 8 and I was one mark off a 9
Computer Science - I got a 7 and I was one mark off an 8
Drama - I got an 8 and I was two marks off a 9
English Language: This was my grade 6. This grade was completely unexpected for me as I sure I would get an 8. Nevertheless, I found out I was 2 marks off a 7.

What do you guys think? What sorts of options are there for remarks? My exams officer has said that if I get the access to scripts then this can no longer be rechecked/remarked however, from the info i've read online, this does not seem to be the case. Is it worth rechecking? Any other advice/feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by Aditya06
I just received my GCSE results and recieved some grades that I am pleased with and others that I have just missed the next grade by 1 or 2 marks.
I received 6 9s, 3 8s, 1 7 and 1 6.
Biology - I got an 8 and I was one mark off a 9
Computer Science - I got a 7 and I was one mark off an 8
Drama - I got an 8 and I was two marks off a 9
English Language: This was my grade 6. This grade was completely unexpected for me as I sure I would get an 8. Nevertheless, I found out I was 2 marks off a 7.

What do you guys think? What sorts of options are there for remarks? My exams officer has said that if I get the access to scripts then this can no longer be rechecked/remarked however, from the info i've read online, this does not seem to be the case. Is it worth rechecking? Any other advice/feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You need copies of your scripts to then go for a review of marking.

Quick Reply

Latest