The Student Room Group

Why do Girls Love their Jewellery??

This is my first ever thread so I must say a BIG "HEELLLLOOO!".

Basically, I'm a guy and want to ask all you girls a very important question.

"Why are you ALL obsessed with buying jewellery and stuff??"- Well, I know most of it is to look good for me, erm, us guys but seriously there must be another reason why I need to eat beans on toast every day so my girl can walk around like a fashion queen!

I know this might seem like a stupid question, but hey check out my username!! No, seriously my girlfriend drives me bolistic whenever we go shopping. She spends an absoloute fortune on bits of jewellery & other trinket stuff, bangles, rings etc etc.- Most of it my money!!!- Maybe I am a mug, and maybe my username isn't so irrelevant after all.

I just want to know, what is the obsession?? She keeps rabbiting on that the stuff from the shops is cheapo rubbish, all looks the same, and when she see's another girl wearing it, it's goes straight into the closet,- never to be seen again!!- All seems like a big waste of time to me....... So come on girls, put my mind at ease and tell me what the big deal is???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't! It's not all girls!

I only have very expensive jewellery that I love and keep and take care of. My favourite piece being a stunning, delicate diamond bracelet my boyfriend bought me (without me asking, needless to say).
Reply 2
It's all about accessorizing.. it's what makes you unique
Reply 3
Coz we are blingin'.
Reply 4
Ice_Queen
I don't! It's not all girls!

I only have very expensive jewellery that I love and keep and take care of. My favourite piece being a stunning, delicate diamond bracelet my boyfriend bought me (without me asking, needless to say).

Oh Lordy, don't mention diamonds, that'l kill me if she catches onto that!!!
Reply 5
synthpopx
It's all about accessorizing.. it's what makes you unique

But actually, does it make you unique?

I feel you all are like robots, wearing the same stuff all the time. (please don't kill me here).
Reply 6
Simplesimon
But actually, does it make you unique?

I feel you all are like robots, wearing the same stuff all the time. (please don't kill me here).

Depends on who you're talking to lol. Not all girls are like that.
Reply 7
synthpopx
Depends on who you're talking to lol. Not all girls are like that.

Well, I've only got your picture to judge you by, and actually you could indeed be a robot!!, lol
Reply 8
Simplesimon
Well, I've only got your picture to judge you by, and actually you could indeed be a robot!!, lol

Haha! Where from? Stalkerr...
Reply 9
Simplesimon
Oh Lordy, don't mention diamonds, that'l kill me if she catches onto that!!!

Hehe you probably can't afford those. I have very few nice pieces, rather than a lot of the 'fashion' stuff.
Reply 10
synthpopx
Haha! Where from? Stalkerr...

Planet "Stalkerr" eh, sounds good, but not exacly with you on that one!! Remember my username.....lol
Reply 11
Your girl obviously buys so much jewellery because she's found someone naive enough to buy it for her. If it was her own money...

(I don't want to sound harsh but why on earth do you buy her stuff if she's so annoying and superficial? - That's the way she sounds from your post anyway. I would not take my boyfriend shopping for clothes and accessories with me, because I feel this would be very unconsiderate as he finds it really boring, but ask him to pay for my stuff? :eek: I would never have the nerve. There is NO reason why you should pay for her shopping - by all means buy her presents for important occasions and if you see something she'd love from time to time, but what you describe -her making you pay for trinkets she'll never wear- is just sad.)

As for the reason why girls like jewellery and clothes, it's just that they add a little exciting to your life, for example it feels really good to take the time to buy yourself something new (it's like giving yourself a pat on the back, boosts your morale) and then it's even more exciting to think of what you'll wear it with, try it on, look in the mirror and think "mmh, not bad!"! As for jewellery, while the cheaper stuff (Accessorize etc.) is just a "cute little something", when you buy something more expensive, it feels amazing to take the time to choose something and know you'll keep it for years, or even better, receive a nice piece of jewellery as a present... then it's like a keepsake with sentimental value as well. But I don't get the OMG someone else is wearing it I have to ditch it hysteria (then don't buy your clothes on the highstreet ffs), or the buying clothes every week thing, and while I appreciate nice things, I don't think that clothes are that important, or that being always perfectly groomed and up-to-date fashion-wise is sustainable, both practically and financially.
Reply 12
Miam!
Your girl obviously buys so much jewellery because she's found someone naive enough to buy it for her. If it was her own money...

(I don't want to sound harsh but why on earth do you buy her stuff if she's so annoying and superficial? - That's the way she sounds from your post anyway. I would not take my boyfriend shopping for clothes and accessories with me, because I feel this would be very unconsiderate as he finds it really boring, but ask him to pay for my stuff? :eek: I would never have the nerve. There is NO reason why you should pay for her shopping - by all means buy her presents for important occasions and if you see something she'd love from time to time, but what you describe -her making you pay for trinkets she'll never wear- is just sad.)

As for the reason why girls like jewellery and clothes, it's just that they add a little exciting to your life, for example it feels really good to take the time to buy yourself something new (it's like giving yourself a pat on the back, boosts your morale) and then it's even more exciting to think of what you'll wear it with, try it on, look in the mirror and think "mmh, not bad!"! As for jewellery, while the cheaper stuff (Accessorize etc.) is just a "cute little something", when you buy something more expensive, it feels amazing to take the time to choose something and know you'll keep it for years, or even better, receive a nice piece of jewellery as a present... then it's like a keepsake with sentimental value as well. But I don't get the OMG someone else is wearing it I have to ditch it hysteria (then don't buy your clothes on the highstreet ffs), or the buying clothes every week thing, and while I appreciate nice things, I don't think that clothes are that important, or that being always perfectly groomed and up-to-date fashion-wise is sustainable, both practically and financially.

Don't get me wrong, I have probably made the situation sound a lot worse than it is!! (I have to say that because she is standing next to me, broom stick in hand and at the ready!). But seriously, we get on well, and I understand she likes her fashion. I mean, at the end of the day I make her follow me around Boots to get my grooming gear so fairs fair. The only problem I have is that I use all my stuff until it is consumed.- It doesn't break is what I'm trying to say!!

For a long time my girl was buying things from Accesorize, wearing it a couple of times and it was broken!!- Just rubbish. AND, I don't feel that it is cheap stuff like you say. - The stuff in there is a canny bit money.

Anyway, I can't complain as much as I could have a couple of months ago because she has finally ditched Accesorize and found a cheaper better solution online.
Reply 13
By the way, I realise we must be sounding like a right couple of goons, but I am relatively new to all this forum stuff, so bear with me!
Reply 14
Simplesimon

For a long time my girl was buying things from Accesorize, wearing it a couple of times and it was broken!!- Just rubbish. AND, I don't feel that it is cheap stuff like you say. - The stuff in there is a canny bit money.
QUOTE]

I meant "cheaper" as in cheaper than classic jewellery with precious metals and gemstones, not "cheap" in the absolute sense - I agree that it's not buy-everyday-dirt-cheap, esp. when you're a student. :smile: Other than that it just sounds like your girlfriend has a mild case of shopping addiction - she might get over it, I was certainly a bit obsessed with clothes when I was in school but now I don't care so much anymore. Maybe you guys should try doing your shopping separately?
Reply 15
[QUOTE="Miam!"]
Simplesimon

QUOTE]

I meant "cheaper" as in cheaper than classic jewellery with precious metals and gemstones, not "cheap" in the absolute sense - I agree that it's not buy-everyday-dirt-cheap, esp. when you're a student. :smile: Other than that it just sounds like your girlfriend has a mild case of shopping addiction - she might get over it, I was certainly a bit obsessed with clothes when I was in school but now I don't care so much anymore. Maybe you guys should try doing your shopping separately?

Ok, point taken. We do try occassionally to go our own seperate ways, however I now have a bigger problem!! We live together and it was fine because shopping was strictly for the shops, but now she is buying jewellery twice a week from an online shop so now I can't even escape it at home. The friends she brings around are all the same, and spend most their time together shopping online. She found a new site about 2 months ago, and has since spent £200 on jewellery. Thankfully, she is using her card, but I am noticing I am spending more on food & household bills.

Honestly, maybe she does have a problem, or maybe I am abnormal and should move on!- Or both!!! But if I see another delivery from that website I'm gonna start wearing the damn stuff myself. Ok, calm down simple, I'm starting to go a bit psycho...deep breathing....that's it....count to 10 just like the doc said......
Simplesimon
But seriously, we get on well, and I understand she likes her fashion. I mean, at the end of the day I make her follow me around Boots to get my grooming gear so fairs fair.

Ahahaha that's well funny. Sorry.

I hate buying jewellry at places like Accessorize because its not worth it at all...even if I'm supposed to pay £8 for a cheap ring, I expect it not to break.

I stick to one or two good pieces that are adaptable. The two main things I wear are my swarovski earrings that my boyfriend bought me for Chrimbo last year, and a silver necklace with my intials that my mum got a jeweller to make for me.

Why do we love (real) jewellry? Because its an investment :biggrin:
I don't wear costume jewellery. I wear semi-precious stones, sterling silver and Swarovski crystal.
Some girls like 'disposable' fashion, some girls like 'key pieces' - which is what I like to have.

It's all about choice. And, FYI, I don't put jewellery on, to impress men!!! I wear jewellery because I like it, and I feel fabulous in it - it's not for anyone elses benefit but my own.
I a bit of a mixture really, classy silver bracelet and necklaces etc but then funky coloured bangles, rings etc.
Me personally, i find it easier to buy that than trape around looking for clothes that are too expensive and then i get disappointed when it doesnt fit.
Not ALL girls thanks. I never really buy my own jewellery. I've probably bought one cheap necklace in the past year and that was to wear with a dress, I haven't worn it since.

Day to day I wear a beautiful locket that my boyfriend got me for my 18th which he got engraved and there are pictures in :smile: and a lovely bracelet he got me for Christmas with mother of pearl in. That's the only jewellery I wear really.

Latest