The Student Room Group

Sixth Form or College? Which ones better?

lol I’m still in y9 going into y10 but I’ve been really curious, is college better than sixth form? Do colleges have a lower grade boundary than sixth form or does it mainly just depend on what college/sixth form you apply for? I remember one of my friends saying college is mostly coursework based and then some tests but sixth form is all exam like work, like that’s what determines your overall grade but even if college is more ‘lenient’ she also said that it’s better to try to achieve higher gcse grades so they accept applicants faster than people with lower grades? That was a bit of a worry to me because even though, it might be more ‘lenient’ with the grade boundary, my predicted grades r a bit bad and I feel like maybe it woukd be too full or something by the time maybe I apply for college or sixth form. I feel like I’m totally wrong so I came to ask here haha, so what are you guys opinions? If I could, I’d wanna do A Level Psychology and biology, but they also exist in college but as something called “btec” degree/grade? idk but yeah tell me allllll I’m super curioussss (im sorry if the way I structured all of this was so weird and confusing LOL)
Reply 1
Colleges usually have lower grade requirements than sixth form but it really does depend on the institution itself. The reason that colleges may be more coursework based is because they are more likely to have Btecs which I’m pretty sure are more coursework based and fewer exams, which you might be interested in. However, some A-level courses have coursework or ‘non-exam assessment/NEA’, such as English, History, Geography, Computer Science etc
Apply to a range of places because it won’t hurt- the worst they could do is reject you. Make sure you apply to a college that has realistic grade requirements for you, but you can have some aspirational sixth forms or whatever. Colleges are more likely to be lenient I think.
Your final grade will always be made from either the end of A2 exams or a combination of that and coursework, or just coursework. Your predicted grades will always be generated based off a range of things such as mock exam performance, class test performance, general attitude and any coursework or essays that have been completed. It may also be an optimistic grade, ie if you got a C in a mock they might predict you a B overall.
Sorry if this isn’t what you were looking for, I hope you get where you want to be :smile:
im going to a sixthform college and its the same stuff as sixthform e.g same subjects and same grade boundaries and stuff. personally id reccommend college because the teachers treat you more like an adult and its alot more independant.There are teachers specifically teachiling alevels unlike sixth form because most schools the alevel teachers also teach other years so i feel like they wouldnt be as concentrated as they need to.(that may have come out weird idk)Either way they are both good.
Reply 3
Original post by miisakii
lol I’m still in y9 going into y10 but I’ve been really curious, is college better than sixth form? Do colleges have a lower grade boundary than sixth form or does it mainly just depend on what college/sixth form you apply for? I remember one of my friends saying college is mostly coursework based and then some tests but sixth form is all exam like work, like that’s what determines your overall grade but even if college is more ‘lenient’ she also said that it’s better to try to achieve higher gcse grades so they accept applicants faster than people with lower grades? That was a bit of a worry to me because even though, it might be more ‘lenient’ with the grade boundary, my predicted grades r a bit bad and I feel like maybe it woukd be too full or something by the time maybe I apply for college or sixth form. I feel like I’m totally wrong so I came to ask here haha, so what are you guys opinions? If I could, I’d wanna do A Level Psychology and biology, but they also exist in college but as something called “btec” degree/grade? idk but yeah tell me allllll I’m super curioussss (im sorry if the way I structured all of this was so weird and confusing LOL)

After going to a Sixth Form and studying three subjects, I regret it. From what my friends who went to college tell me, it was much easier. You study one subject in depth and that's it. But it all depends on what type of workload you're willing to take on and what you're interested in studying.

I studied a Health and Social Care BTEC and really enjoyed it. There's a lot of coursework involved but I found it quite easy and I only had to do one exam, which is also quite easy to pass.

It really depends on you and your preferences. Maybe do some more research into it. You're only in Year 10, so try not to worry too much, you still have plenty of time to get those predicted grades up!

Hope this was helpful lovely, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending