The Student Room Group

University of Leeds A101 (Gateway Year) 2024 entry applicants and offer holders threa

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi I meet all contextual requirements and have
3 9s, 5 8s, 2 7s and BBC A levels with 2720 band 2 UCAT likelihood of interview?
Reply 21
Original post by A12354.1
Hi I meet all contextual requirements and have
3 9s, 5 8s, 2 7s and BBC A levels with 2720 band 2 UCAT likelihood of interview?

I’m thinking of applying with the same UCAT only Band 1!
Original post by rh1209
I’m thinking of applying with the same UCAT only Band 1!

I got 2620 band1, hoping it’s enough. I suspect it will be as it’s gateway year
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 23
Original post by B7861
I got 2620 band1, hoping it’s enough. I suspect it will be as it’s gateway year

Applying with a low UCAT 2530 B1. Hopefully, my GCSE can carry me (999999875).
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Aks-y
Applying with a low UCAT 2530 B1. Hopefully, my GCSE can carry me (99999985).

That’s an alright UCAT mate, have you looked at any other options?
Reply 25
Original post by B7861
That’s an alright UCAT mate, have you looked at any other options?

Yh I've got 3 more options that I've applied. My Leicester score is all right based on the previous year's admission data and for Nottingham and Lincoln, my band 1 means that my point score is on the higher end of people who were invited to interview last year so I'm hopeful.

Honestly what's stressing me out most right now is interview prep. Has anyone else started and if so how are you guys preparing?
Original post by Aks-y
Yh I've got 3 more options that I've applied. My Leicester score is all right based on the previous year's admission data and for Nottingham and Lincoln, my band 1 means that my point score is on the higher end of people who were invited to interview last year so I'm hopeful.

Honestly what's stressing me out most right now is interview prep. Has anyone else started and if so how are you guys preparing?

What’s your score for Leicester?
Reply 27
Original post by B7861
What’s your score for Leicester?

My score is 57. A significant part of my score is because I was able to get the maximum points available for academics which I think is 32. I'm an achieved applicant btw
Original post by Aks-y
My score is 57. A significant part of my score is because I was able to get the maximum points available for academics which I think is 32. I'm an achieved applicant btw

Nice one, mines 55 and last years cutoff was 54.5 so I hope I get an interview, just my GCSEs that let me done a bit
Reply 29
Original post by B7861
Nice one, mines 55 and last years cutoff was 54.5 so I hope I get an interview, just my GCSEs that let me done a bit

Yh good luck. It's gonna be a long wait for both of us though since I think invites for Leicester only started rolling out for foundation courses last year for 2023 entry around January.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 30
Previous years haven’t really shared GCSE stats for this course so i’m really conflicted now on whether to apply. My UCAT is 2720 B1, but my GCSEs (NI applicant so still letters) are A*AAAAABBB (with another 2 A*s predicted on top of this as i’m only now doing GCSE bio and chem- they’ve said they accept pending grades) what do we think?
Original post by rh1209
Previous years haven’t really shared GCSE stats for this course so i’m really conflicted now on whether to apply. My UCAT is 2720 B1, but my GCSEs (NI applicant so still letters) are A*AAAAABBB (with another 2 A*s predicted on top of this as i’m only now doing GCSE bio and chem- they’ve said they accept pending grades) what do we think?

applying to leeds will be a risk as we dont know how they're gonna use UCAT and if they're gonna use SJT or not, hope they do cause I got band 1 also
Reply 32
I’ve heard Leeds take a holistic approach towards applicants using all parts of the application not solely focusing on just the UCAT score but a combination of UCAT and GCSE
Reply 33
Original post by A12354.1
I’ve heard Leeds take a holistic approach towards applicants using all parts of the application not solely focusing on just the UCAT score but a combination of UCAT and GCSE

Yes, Leeds look at all aspects of your application. In previous years the highest weighting was given to GCSE and A level/IB results and the BMAT which was the former admission test was given relatively little weighting in their selection procedure. Unfortunately, this year they haven't been too clear as to how they will use the UCAT in their selection process since it's their first year using it. There aren't even any clear details as to whether it will have the same weighting as the BMAT.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 34
Applying to Leeds feels like a literal shot in the dark at the minute, like why are we playing a guessing game haha
my predicted grades are AAB so i couldnt apply for gateway but the access to leeds instead. im unsure about applying to medicine A100 through this route as my ucat sjt was band 3 and my score 2490.
Reply 36
Original post by ultimateslayer30
my predicted grades are AAB so i couldnt apply for gateway but the access to leeds instead. im unsure about applying to medicine A100 through this route as my ucat sjt was band 3 and my score 2490.

Unfortunately, there's really no way to know because we don't know how they use the UCAT in the selection process. If we use the BMAT as a reference, it could be that you may require a relatively average score to be invited to an interview 2500/2600+ as that was the case for the BMAT. We could also infer that they may do something with the SJT band as Leeds is a medical school that likes to look at all aspects of the application in which case that would be a limiting factor for you having received a band 3.

Unfortunately, this is all speculation but overall, in my own personal opinion applying to A100 in your case is a huge risk especially since there are definitely much safer options out there like Keele and KMMS. You may even be eligible for their contextual offers.

The other alternative is asking your teacher to downgrade your prediction in order to enable you to apply to the foundation year program but that is a difficult discussion to have so close to the application deadline.
Original post by Aks-y
Unfortunately, there's really no way to know because we don't know how they use the UCAT in the selection process. If we use the BMAT as a reference, it could be that you may require a relatively average score to be invited to an interview 2500/2600+ as that was the case for the BMAT. We could also infer that they may do something with the SJT band as Leeds is a medical school that likes to look at all aspects of the application in which case that would be a limiting factor for you having received a band 3.

Unfortunately, this is all speculation but overall, in my own personal opinion applying to A100 in your case is a huge risk especially since there are definitely much safer options out there like Keele and KMMS. You may even be eligible for their contextual offers.

The other alternative is asking your teacher to downgrade your prediction in order to enable you to apply to the foundation year program but that is a difficult discussion to have so close to the application deadline.

i've thought about lowering my predictions because a few other gateway courses have the same criteria however once again im not sure about my ucat and if its a waste of an application. my As are in bio and maths and if i have to bring one to a B i'd rather it be maths however for leeds it would have to be biology that's a B. my teachers also said they could bring my grades up to AAA for A100 courses but they dont think i'll meet it :frown:. if that happens im still not sure due to my ucat score. so maybe i'll pass on applying for any leeds course
Reply 38
Original post by ultimateslayer30
i've thought about lowering my predictions because a few other gateway courses have the same criteria however once again im not sure about my ucat and if its a waste of an application. my As are in bio and maths and if i have to bring one to a B i'd rather it be maths however for leeds it would have to be biology that's a B. my teachers also said they could bring my grades up to AAA for A100 courses but they dont think i'll meet it :frown:. if that happens im still not sure due to my ucat score. so maybe i'll pass on applying for any leeds course

Overall the final decision is yours. If you were to downgrade your predicted so that you would be eligible for gateway courses then you would have a more likelier chance of being invited to interview however that would automatically cancel any a100 choices you may have chosen.
Reply 39
My stats:
UCAT: 2570 Band 2
GCSEs: 99988765 D*2 P2
A-Levels Achieved: BBC (B's in Bio and Chem)
Meet WP criteria, so I am eligible to apply for the gateway year course
Would this be enough for an interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending