The Student Room Group

What should I do with my poor A level results?

My A levels this year were not the greatest and I acheieved a BCE when i was predicted a BBA. I wanted to go study Law LLB at my two chosen firm and insurance universities but obviously I was unsuccessful in my application. As Law is a very ambitious pathway, I have options of to either take my offer from Clearing at a local university to study the Law LLB or I can take the gap year and redo two of my A levels to try and get a better grade. However, my parents are saying to me that a gap year is not an option and that I will be left behind. With such grades like this, I know I am at fault for not working hard enough but I’m at a crossroads right now and I don’t know what to do. Any advice??
Original post by j9udk
My A levels this year were not the greatest and I acheieved a BCE when i was predicted a BBA. I wanted to go study Law LLB at my two chosen firm and insurance universities but obviously I was unsuccessful in my application. As Law is a very ambitious pathway, I have options of to either take my offer from Clearing at a local university to study the Law LLB or I can take the gap year and redo two of my A levels to try and get a better grade. However, my parents are saying to me that a gap year is not an option and that I will be left behind. With such grades like this, I know I am at fault for not working hard enough but I’m at a crossroads right now and I don’t know what to do. Any advice??

Nobody can tell you what is right for you. My personal view is if you are happy with your offer then take it rather than spending a gap year with no guarantee you will get what you want next yea. Teachers generally over predict to get students offers and they often miss their grades. In one of the last pre covid years 75% of students failed to reach their predicted grades.
An unplanned gap year could definitely be hard if you can't manage to arrange an apprenticeship. You could travel but it sounds like your parents wouldn't be a fan. If you're happy with your place you can definitely still pursue law there but if you know you could have done better then retaking is a good option too. Good luck
I would also recommend taking the place and moving onto studying what you want to study. Its disappointing for you but if the offer is for a course that looks like you would enjoy the studies then go for it and don't look back.

Quick Reply

Latest