The Student Room Group

Independent Student, Renting with parents in London, no owned Home

Hello all. I am an independent student in London, above the age of 25. I have been working a full-time job for close to 6 years, and did an Access Course this year to enter uni while continuing working.

I rent a house in London along with my parents, meaning I pay rent and bills. I receive no financial help from parents, and am financially independent from them. They are also unable to help me financially even if they wanted to due to other familial matters.

Is there a chance I can get the “living in London, away from parents” loan? My parents do not own the home, we share in paying the rent, my name is on the tenancy agreement, and they do not support me financially and have not for close to the last 6 years.

Many thanks
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Anyone who can inform me?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by 3Bid
Hello all. I am an independent student in London, above the age of 25. I have been working a full-time job for close to 6 years, and did an Access Course this year to enter uni while continuing working.

I rent a house in London along with my parents, meaning I pay rent and bills. I receive no financial help from parents, and am financially independent from them. They are also unable to help me financially even if they wanted to due to other familial matters.

Is there a chance I can get the “living in London, away from parents” loan? My parents do not own the home, we share in paying the rent, my name is on the tenancy agreement, and they do not support me financially and have not for close to the last 6 years.

Many thanks

Hi there,

If your course is in London and you select 'elsewhere' as your living location, then you would automatically be assessed on the London Rate of Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 3
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

If your course is in London and you select 'elsewhere' as your living location, then you would automatically be assessed on the London Rate of Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Clare

Thank you for your reply Clare. Just to clarify so I understand correctly; me and my mother will be living and renting in the same house. I will be paying rent, bills, and receive no financial support from my mother.

To confirm, does that mean I have a chance to get the London rate of Maintenance Loan as we simply rent the same apartment? Thank you
Original post by 3Bid
Thank you for your reply Clare. Just to clarify so I understand correctly; me and my mother will be living and renting in the same house. I will be paying rent, bills, and receive no financial support from my mother.

To confirm, does that mean I have a chance to get the London rate of Maintenance Loan as we simply rent the same apartment? Thank you

Hi there,

Usually this would be considered as 'living with parent(s), however, if the property and bills are in your name, then this should be acceptable if your mother is living with you.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 5
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi there,

Usually this would be considered as 'living with parent(s), however, if the property and bills are in your name, then this should be acceptable if your mother is living with you.

Thanks, Clare

I see, thank you for the info Clare.
Original post by 3Bid
I see, thank you for the info Clare.

You're welcome! Have a nice day!
Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending