The Student Room Group

Should I commute an hour to uni or go to a London Uni

Would it be worth me commuting everyday to Kent for Uni from London? To Medway so the coach service from Greenwich to Medway is really cheap, so is it worth commuting 1 hour rather paying for rent for the accommodation (which I’ve visited, and is awful)
Reply 1
There is a huge amount to be said for living nearby, particularly in your first year - it makes going to social events so much easier, you can just pop down to the library to get a book, and you can experience a bit of independence which I think is quite important. And you won't be at the mercy of delayed trains or coaches so you'll never worry about missing a lecture or getting stuck in Kent overnight.

Do you have the option of going to a London Uni, because that might be better if you're not keen on living in student halls and aren't dead set on Kent? But if you really like the course at Kent, and really hate the accommodation, then commuting is clearly the best option. It's certainly feasible, but comes with its own set of problems.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Would it be worth me commuting everyday to Kent for Uni from London? To Medway so the coach service from Greenwich to Medway is really cheap, so is it worth commuting 1 hour rather paying for rent for the accommodation (which I’ve visited, and is awful)

Hi there,

Although I do not commute from off-campus, hope I can help to answer your question. :smile:

Few of my friends commuted from London to Kent, so it is an option that you can take, though you should consider the travel time and costs, including the possibility of delays.

Depending on how you will be commuting though, the journeys between London & Kent can be quite tiring. So when thinking about attending lectures and seminars, whether you will have enough energy to concentrate is worth considering.

Echoing @fedora34's reply, social events, gaining independence during University, and delays during commuting are all important factors which you might like to consider.

If you are not keen on your current accommodation, perhaps keep searching for alternative options nearby? Or Considering studying at a London University may also be a good option, as it may save more time and money.

All the best :smile:
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending