The Student Room Group

Mature Student commuting

Hey people,

I’m 26 going to be 27 when I start uni next year as I’m currently completing an access course to go on and study psychology next year.

Living out is not an option due to commitments such as house and relationships. I’m content with my social relationships that I have already so my main question is my local university or the university that has the course I value the most and feel has the most skills that tie in with my previous work experience and future aspirations

My local uni is a 40 minute walk or 10 minute bus , but the course I feel stronger about is 1 hour drive and up to 1 hour and half with traffic

I should state that in my current job I regularly have to do drives of around an hour and this doesn’t phase me, so what I’m essentially asking, is it worth it to do the course I feel stronger about ?
Original post by Ozko
Hey people,

I’m 26 going to be 27 when I start uni next year as I’m currently completing an access course to go on and study psychology next year.

Living out is not an option due to commitments such as house and relationships. I’m content with my social relationships that I have already so my main question is my local university or the university that has the course I value the most and feel has the most skills that tie in with my previous work experience and future aspirations

My local uni is a 40 minute walk or 10 minute bus , but the course I feel stronger about is 1 hour drive and up to 1 hour and half with traffic

I should state that in my current job I regularly have to do drives of around an hour and this doesn’t phase me, so what I’m essentially asking, is it worth it to do the course I feel stronger about ?

You have plenty of time to decide this once you have offers.

Although the drive might not be a concern for you it’s worth checking the parking situation. Many universities don’t allow students to park on campus and so you may face the extra time for park and ride or pricey parking charges.
Hi there,

If you really like the University it is definitely worth it. You are paying a lot of money for the course, and it's an investment for the rest of your life, given this I think an extra drive would definitely be worth it - especially given you say you don't mind driving.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Original post by Ozko
Hey people,

Hi there,

I would say to take the time to do the research into the modules, opportunities and prospects at each university. If you are happy to commute then I know people that commute further and I believe that it would be worth it. Just make sure to do the research so you're happy.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Original post by Ozko
Hey people,

@Ozko
I've taught on Access for over 10 years, I am sure you are doing great on your course.

Have you thought about doing a Psychology degree online instead? Arden University have a mixture of 100% online and blended learning options (london, manchester, leeds, birmingham etc) and the course is fully accredited by the BPS.

For any provider if you want an unbiased view check out their report with the QAA (a bit like Ofsted) and their Teaching Excellence Framework Report - both readily available online

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Ozko
Hey people,

Hey!

I'd agree with above mostly! Just wanted to add I think it is worth it, especially if you prefer the course! I currently do a 1 hour drive to uni and actually quite like it as it is time to unwind especially after a stressful day. Also, it really helps separate uni with work and personal life. I tend to treat uni as a 9-5 when I'm there due to the long drive and try to get any work done in downtime from classes, then when you are home you can 100% focus on your own things! Definitely look in to parking though :smile:

Best of luck with everything!
Natalie (Uni of Kent Student Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending