The Student Room Group

mum is a bit of a hoarder and idk what to do

my mum has always had a little too much stuff for one person, and since university when i moved out, it's definitely ticked upwards

i also read that hoarding can often be triggered by trauma/tragedy, and that's relevant here as well

for an idea of the problem, she has a reasonable 3-4 bed house (even though it's just her), and only the master bedroom is still habitable. the kitchen/living room/hallways are also all very full

she suggested i share a bed with my brother when i come home at christmas because my old room (which i last slept in in May) is swamped. at some point, the house will become largely uninhabitable/dangerous to move around (although it is at least clean, just FULL AF) and she's obviously going to get less mobile eventually

what exactly can i do? i've told her she's got a bit too much stuff, and on the one hand she comes off as slightly embarrassed, but mostly it's as though she sees the post-covid world as a need for intense survivalism for when the supermarkets inevitably become deserts (/s)
Original post by HoldThisL
my mum has always had a little too much stuff for one person, and since university when i moved out, it's definitely ticked upwards

i also read that hoarding can often be triggered by trauma/tragedy, and that's relevant here as well

for an idea of the problem, she has a reasonable 3-4 bed house (even though it's just her), and only the master bedroom is still habitable. the kitchen/living room/hallways are also all very full

she suggested i share a bed with my brother when i come home at christmas because my old room (which i last slept in in May) is swamped. at some point, the house will become largely uninhabitable/dangerous to move around (although it is at least clean, just FULL AF) and she's obviously going to get less mobile eventually

what exactly can i do? i've told her she's got a bit too much stuff, and on the one hand she comes off as slightly embarrassed, but mostly it's as though she sees the post-covid world as a need for intense survivalism for when the supermarkets inevitably become deserts (/s)

I suppose you could offer to help her get rid of stuff if you’re willing to do that? It might take a bit of patience though. Also maybe you should suggest that she go to the doctor and maybe try therapy or something to see what’s caused her issues

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending