The Student Room Group

Applying to veterinary medicine with lower grades

I am currently in year 13 and am studying biology chemistry and maths. I am predicted bcc but am hoping to achieve acc or abc. I have had a few difficulties these last few years and haven’t been able to complete my a levels to the maximum potential but do not meet the widening participation criteria . However, I wouldn’t like to resit my a- levels again and am looking for a gate way course, foundation course or a year zero course I can apply to to help me get into veterinary medicine. I have all the required work experience it is just my grades holding me back but I am so set on veterinary medicine. What should I do?
Look at the gateway courses at Nottingham, RVC and Bristol. You could potentially look into Liverpool's foundation course too but I'm not too sure you'd meet the criteria, but if you're unsure you can always email the admissions team. Nottingham for the 5 year do not look at predicted grades apparently and last year were quite lenient on results day (especially if you would like to do the April cohort) but obviously that's not 100% so very risky, plus it is after the application deadline now for the 5 year courses.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by 292905
I am currently in year 13 and am studying biology chemistry and maths. I am predicted bcc but am hoping to achieve acc or abc. I have had a few difficulties these last few years and haven’t been able to complete my a levels to the maximum potential but do not meet the widening participation criteria . However, I wouldn’t like to resit my a- levels again and am looking for a gate way course, foundation course or a year zero course I can apply to to help me get into veterinary medicine. I have all the required work experience it is just my grades holding me back but I am so set on veterinary medicine. What should I do?

If you have not sat your exams yet, you have plenty of time to improve your grades. There is no easy route to Veterinary Medicine and ultimately studying hard is going to be the most effective route. Contact your teachers and don't be shy about finding out what you need to do to improve your grades. You still have many months in order to improve and you don't need to push your grades up by too much - it's completely doable in the time you have.

Worst case scenario, Bristol, Notts, RVC (and maybe some others?) have gateway years, but you will still need to meet the entry requirements, including any widening participation. If you do not meet that, then unfortunately your only way to vet school would be to resit your A Levels.

As an absolute last resort, you can study a different degree and then apply to vet as a post-grad. This however is considered more competitive than undergrad, so there is no guarantee you would get a place after all the work you have done. Additionally, you would need to fund your vet degree as Student Finance will not fund a second degree. This is £48k+ which is unattainable for a lot of people, so just something to consider.

Good luck on your journey.:smile:
Original post by 292905

Heya! Im so sorry to hear that. A levels are rough. I know that nottingham except one retake for vet med and that Liverpool dont accept any retakes, but thats all I know from the top of my head. Im applying to Nottignham on the prelim year as I dont do Bio at the moment and its only for applicants who dont have the right a levels, not lower grades. Everywhere else seems to only have foundation/gateways for wider participation from emailing them. I know that Nottingham doesnt look at predicted grades if that helps? Good luck. Just check on each unis website or give them a call
Original post by harrietscott
Heya! Im so sorry to hear that. A levels are rough. I know that nottingham except one retake for vet med and that Liverpool dont accept any retakes, but thats all I know from the top of my head. Im applying to Nottignham on the prelim year as I dont do Bio at the moment and its only for applicants who dont have the right a levels, not lower grades. Everywhere else seems to only have foundation/gateways for wider participation from emailing them. I know that Nottingham doesnt look at predicted grades if that helps? Good luck. Just check on each unis website or give them a call

Liverpool definitely do accept retakes (but offer will be A*AA rather than standard AAA offer) and 2 application rounds, I know loads of people who resat A Levels on the course. The info can be found here under FAQs. Edinburgh and Glasgow don't accept retakes though, but as far as I'm aware all other vet schools do (except not sure about Cambridge).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending