The Student Room Group

Official: University of Bristol A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
"Struggling with motivation and starting to resent the med school. Current 4th year here - my med school infantilise us and have given us too much to complete with such little time. WPBAs have to be signed someone over F2 grade but can’t be any of our tutors/doctors who want to do bedside teaching with us as that’s for our “learning” it’s not in the “workplace”. 2/5 days of the week we can potentially spend on the wards due to teaching sessions and GP, which normally would be enough time however the checklist is so long none of us feel like we will get it done. Factoring in strikes and illness a lot of us are behind and any valuable ward teaching we get, the med school don’t deem as relevant because there’s no box to tick! 32 clerkings in 18 weeks and only geriatric patients. Each one has to correlate to a specific speciality and Rockwood Frailty score and 4AT for each. Then multiple MOCAs, AMTS etc. Which would be fine if we didn’t have so many to do, every doctor thinks it’s ridiculous that we have so many to do. Some doctors have even said they don’t want med students just coming to the wards to clerk - which is understandable because the majority of us want to be taught & get involved but we don’t really have a choice. In our portfolio, expected to attend 9 ward rounds but these only count if you have photographic evidence that you scribed the ward round. Multiple students have been to ward rounds and received great teaching and been involved in patient care but the med school won’t deem this as suitable because we don’t have “proof” and there’s no box to tick off. Also many doctors don’t want us scribing ward rounds or discharge summaries let alone taking pictures of the notes. A lot of the tutors and my GP have emailed the med school complaining about this too and we’ve been told that at faculty meetings, the students aren’t trusted and we are being infantilised. And that is truly how it feels!"

This was shared on reddit by a student who is a 4th year med student at bristol. hope this helps you with your application.
Reply 41
i got 2870 in my ucat and i have 3 other very likely interviews at birmingham, newcastle and anglia ruskin.
is it worth me applying as the ucat cut off for 2022 entry was 2870.
how likely is ucat cut off to drop this year, i have heard that high ucat unis might drop as less people will be secured an interview.
Original post by alfa9
i got 2870 in my ucat and i have 3 other very likely interviews at birmingham, newcastle and anglia ruskin.
how likely is ucat cut off to drop this year, i have heard that high ucat unis might drop as less people will be secured an interview.

i don't think it is very likely that bristol's cutoff would drop, it is more likely it will stay around the same i think, so it would be a risky option
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 43
Original post by reubenn05
i don't think it is very likely that bristol's cutoff would drop, it is more likely it will stay around the same i think, so it would be a risky option

How likely do you feel that the Bristol cut off stays the exact same now that the UCAT results have been published?
Reply 44
Original post by joelee0977
Hi all,
I am an international student with 3060 and band 3.
Will I get an interview? Thanks

cutoff was 2960 last year
i don't think they consider sjt as long as not b4
I think you're good to go :biggrin:
Reply 45
Original post by alfa9

Cut off for non contextuals was 2910 for 2023 entry
Reply 46
Original post by reubenn05

Do you think it is likely that it will increase by 20-30 points?
Reply 47
Re-sit applicant with UCAT 2940. What are the chances to make the cut off this year? Thanks
Reply 48
Original post by M.S.R
Re-sit applicant with UCAT 2940. What are the chances to make the cut off this year? Thanks

I would go for it, someone on the ‘which med school thread’ had the same ucat as you and was told they should be fine!
Reply 49
Original post by hola12345
I would go for it, someone on the ‘which med school thread’ had the same ucat as you and was told they should be fine!

Hiya do you know if any guidance was given on a score of 2930? Really undecided right now and need to send off my application very soon
Reply 50
Original post by asdfghjmk
Hiya do you know if any guidance was given on a score of 2930? Really undecided right now and need to send off my application very soon

i’m just an applicant myself so by no means an expert but i think with a cut off as high as bristols, if they make it too high, they won’t have enough people to fill seats i would have thought. personally i would go for it too, if you have 3 safer options it shouldn’t be a problem x
Reply 51
i’m just an applicant myself so by no means an expert but i think with a cut off as high as bristols, if they make it too high, they won’t have enough people to fill seats i would have thought. personally i would go for it too, if you have 3 safer options it shouldn’t be a problem x

Original post by asdfghjmk

I don't think anybody can give any guidance as such. People have opinions, and some of that is based on experience, but it's still just their view.

There are no guarantees.

The thing is with places like Bristol that uses a straight UCAT cut off is that it's dependant on a mix of the the UCAT scores of the people who choose to apply to Bristol, combined with the numbers of people that Bristol choose to interview. So they just count down the list of applicants in UCAT score order until they have run out of interview spaces and have met their interview strategy. So they don't set the cut off. It sets itself.

It has to be your own decision on what you think is a reasonable risk in the context of your other choices and personal comfort.

I know it would be good if someone could say do x or do y !

Good luck with your applications
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 52

Think I'm gonna skip as although it may turn out that I would've been fine, 2930 is ultimately only 20 points higher than the cut off from last year and for the last 2 years running the cut off has increased by 40 points. The top UCAT decile has increased again this year and with the way deciles work, that would mean there is still at least 10% of test takers, or around 3500 people with UCATs higher than 2890. I don't think Bristol will have any problem filling seats even if the cut off were to increase by 50 points even. They don't interview a mad excess of people anyway - hence their quite good post interview to offer ratio.

But yea ultimately no one can predict reliably, but for the sake of safety I think I'm gonna not apply to Bristol
Reply 53
Original post by aaasdfg
Think I'm gonna skip as although it may turn out that I would've been fine, 2930 is ultimately only 20 points higher than the cut off from last year and for the last 2 years running the cut off has increased by 40 points. The top UCAT decile has increased again this year and with the way deciles work, that would mean there is still at least 10% of test takers, or around 3500 people with UCATs higher than 2890. I don't think Bristol will have any problem filling seats even if the cut off were to increase by 50 points even. They don't interview a mad excess of people anyway - hence their quite good post interview to offer ratio.

But yea ultimately no one can predict reliably, but for the sake of safety I think I'm gonna not apply to Bristol

I've settled on Bristol, my UCAT is 2980 but still a bit worried. I think it comes down to your 3 other options - how "safe" they are and also how badly you want Bristol. Other factors will play a part:strategic applications, expansion of numbers at Edge Hill/Brunel,Leeds going to UCAT, lower UCAT takers etc.
Original post by ss12468
I've settled on Bristol, my UCAT is 2980 but still a bit worried. I think it comes down to your 3 other options - how "safe" they are and also how badly you want Bristol. Other factors will play a part:strategic applications, expansion of numbers at Edge Hill/Brunel,Leeds going to UCAT, lower UCAT takers etc.

I have the same ucat as you and applied. I would be shocked if the cut off rose 70 points this year tbh
Reply 55
Original post by ss12468

I don't think less ucat takers means all too much based on prior evidence honestly but regardless with 2980 I reckon you're very safe. I didn't apply as I was only 20 points above last year's cut off, as opposed to you who is 70 points above
Panicking a little now as only 50 points above!
3000 B2 should be safe for Bristol this year am I right?
Hi I was reading the Admissions Statement for Bristol and I was reading that for the interviews it will be online with 2 assessors separately marking your interview. Does this mean it is not MMI anymore?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 59
Original post by Namashrey_05
Hi I was reading the Admissions Statement for Bristol and I was reading that for the interviews it will be online with 2 assessors separately marking your interview. Does this mean it is not MMI anymore?

They don't appear to have updated their interviews page yet, so perhaps will need to wait and see.

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/after-you-apply/interviews/medicine/

Am only a parent and am guessing, but that webpage says 4 asssessors, and the med ad statement says 2 assessors so something may have changed.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending