The Student Room Group

University of Sunderland A100 2024 Entry

Welcome to the Sunderland University A100 2024 entry.

2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7252543

For general information click: https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/m...bchb-medicine/

For entry requirements click: https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/study/m...#fees-and-reqs

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
Does Sunderland still use the R&R form or have they changed to personal statement like Keele did?
Thanks
Original post by VilasL06
Hi,
Does Sunderland still use the R&R form or have they changed to personal statement like Keele did?
Thanks

i think they're using a 250 word submission about your experiences
Reply 3
Original post by VilasL06
Hi,
Thanks

Hey, ur saying Keele isn’t using the R&R form this time? Where did u see that?
Reply 4
Original post by Qwerty06
Hey, ur saying Keele isn’t using the R&R form this time? Where did u see that?

I've asked people on TSR forum and thats what they said. On the website there is no mention of an R&R form anymore, they mentioned PS instead
Hi,

I am looking to apply to Sunderland, and I was wondering if I have a good shot at getting an interview at least with these stats, as I am a reapplicant and my UCAT didn't go to plan.

GCSE's: 99999998887 (7 in English Language)
Achieved A Levels: A* A A( A* in bio, A in chem, A in maths)
Low UCAT score of: 2620 B3
Contextual: maybe? As I was looked after by my grandparents for 1.5 years, 1st on to go to uni.
Work Experience: Clinics, Hospitals, care homes, online work experience (Brighton and Sussex medical school+ Plymouth Medical School). I also volunteer + tutor.

As well as that if you have any recommendations on where to apply, please do tell :smile:
Original post by RRandom_user
Hi,

I am looking to apply to Sunderland, and I was wondering if I have a good shot at getting an interview at least with these stats, as I am a reapplicant and my UCAT didn't go to plan.

GCSE's: 99999998887 (7 in English Language)
Achieved A Levels: A* A A( A* in bio, A in chem, A in maths)
Low UCAT score of: 2620 B3
Contextual: maybe? As I was looked after by my grandparents for 1.5 years, 1st on to go to uni.
Work Experience: Clinics, Hospitals, care homes, online work experience (Brighton and Sussex medical school+ Plymouth Medical School). I also volunteer + tutor.

As well as that if you have any recommendations on where to apply, please do tell :smile:

based on last years requirements, you needed 80+ hours volunteering/work in a caring/helping capacity
Original post by reubenn05
based on last years requirements, you needed 80+ hours volunteering/work in a caring/helping capacity

I volunteered for like I think a year or so for Sunday School as a teacher. And I am starting to work as a healthcare assistant (full time) in like 2 weeks. Does work experience count for anything as well?
(edited 7 months ago)
I volunteered for like I think a year or so for Sunday School as a teacher. And I am starting to work as a healthcare assistant (full time) in like 2 weeks. Does work experience count for anything as well?

i think shadowing doesn’t count, as it needs to be hands on experience
i think shadowing doesn’t count, as it needs to be hands on experience

Ah ok, does working in a care home for a week count? As well as that for Sunderland, does it matter if you have more hours in one area or does it have to be spread out, as I think I have like 60 hours working as a Sunday School teacher, and what kind of proof do you need to provide? Many thanks.
Ah ok, does working in a care home for a week count? As well as that for Sunderland, does it matter if you have more hours in one area or does it have to be spread out, as I think I have like 60 hours working as a Sunday School teacher, and what kind of proof do you need to provide? Many thanks.

i don’t think it has it be spread out, and care home will count. you probably have to include contact details of a person from where you did it
i don’t think it has it be spread out, and care home will count. you probably have to include contact details of a person from where you did it

Ok thank you, do you have any advice on where else to apply? As I am considering Kent and Medway as well, as my average A Level School attainment was for 2021/22: B and attainment 8 for secondary school was for 2021/22: 54.5.
Ok thank you, do you have any advice on where else to apply? As I am considering Kent and Medway as well, as my average A Level School attainment was for 2021/22: B and attainment 8 for secondary school was for 2021/22: 54.5.

kmms could be good, as your a levels are above average for your school. look at keele, consider sitting bmat
(edited 7 months ago)
kmms could be good, as your a levels are above average for your school. look at keele, consider sitting bmat

Yep, I am doing the BMAT as well. I am looking into Keele, however on the UCAT scoring system I only get around 5/10. Is that kinda risky?
Yep, I am doing the BMAT as well. I am looking into Keele, however on the UCAT scoring system I only get around 5/10. Is that kinda risky?

yeah it may be risky actually. like ganfyd said on the kmms thread, check out what unis you're contextual for
Hi

I am aware that Sunderland puts a lot of emphasis on Work Experience, but I was wondering if it has to be in a care setting or if it can be anywhere (such as in a shop etc.), and if my work experience would be enough to get to interview?
My Work Experience is below:

3 months part time retail assistant
3 months waitressing in a restaurant/hotel
Currently volunteering in my local blind and visually impaired association (I have been doing this for less than a month however)
4 months tutoring maths students (this was with school so may not count)
Currently tutoring refugees (with school so may also not count)
I have also done shadowing in a GP practice and other similar things, but I don't think shadowing counts for Sunderland.

Thank you
How many hours of volunteering is needed?
Reply 17
Original post by kitty2005
How many hours of volunteering is needed?

I heard 200+ but no idea where this figure came from. Can anyone help?
Original post by shimul
I heard 200+ but no idea where this figure came from. Can anyone help?

What exactly is classed as work experience/volunteering? Would waitressing and part time work in a shop count?
Hey, from what I’m understand 200+ hrs is needed for Sunderland. The thing is i know I have 66 hrs from my hospital volunteering but I’m not sure how many hours I have from my charity shop volunteering ( I did it for almost a year than I stopped).

Should I still apply there?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending