The Student Room Group

University of Sunderland A100 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

hiya, i've rejected my offer from Sunderland so hopefully a space opens for one of you on the waiting list. best of luck to you all
Reply 581
I just firmed Sunderland,, does anyone know how long it takes for them to send the DBS and Accommodation stuff??
Original post by Saj.
I just firmed Sunderland,, does anyone know how long it takes for them to send the DBS and Accommodation stuff??

Hi there,

I think for us it was a couple of weeks to a month. You can see accommodation stuff on the website- that may already be open to apply for, I don't think the actual medical school sent us any information about accommodation it is through the university itself.
I believe on this website it says you can apply once you have accepted an offer from the uni.

Here is the link- I would recommend having a look and applying asap so you have more chance of getting the accommodation you want.

https://www.sunderland.ac.uk/student-experience/accommodation/apply/

I really hope this helps,
Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
have any people on the waitlist got offers yet
Original post by luwatun
hiya, i've rejected my offer from Sunderland so hopefully a space opens for one of you on the waiting list. best of luck to you all

What are you firming? Ive firmed Newcastle.
Original post by t_boy356
What are you firming? Ive firmed Newcastle.

lancaster
Question for current Sunderland Med students:

What does the weekly timetable look like? are Wednesdays or any other weekday off?
How many lectures would you typically expect a week?
And when you start going placement more often in the later years how does this affect the timetable?

-- only asking because ill probably be working part-time and im wondering how much work id be able to fit in with studying/classes etc

Many thanks for the response
Original post by Mharmstudent2022
What does the weekly timetable look like? are Wednesdays or any other weekday off?
And when you start going placement more often in the later years how does this affect the timetable?
-- only asking because ill probably be working part-time and im wondering how much work id be able to fit in with studying/classes etc

This is a copy paste from some questions I answered a couple of months ago but I can add some more info:
Ive put a typical week down below, it stays like that pretty much week to week. We sometimes have a ‘ciriculum catch up week’ where we only have approx 3 hours of teaching and the week to study ourselves which is good. We also had one ‘reading week’ in semester 1 where we had no scheduled lectures or teaching. There will be the odd weeks some times where we will have lectures on a Tuesday just from 9-11 anf that’s basically a day off like a wednesday. Again on Fridays sometimes we finish super early and only have 9-12. But again, there can be lectures it just depends. But in terms as for a part time job we get or full day to day calendar when you start so you can plan work ahead of time.
You could expect maybe 6-9 lectures a week? Roughly speaking. But this doesnt include PBL, any workshops we have, clinical skills, communication skills, anatomy etc etc, there are so many other sessions that fill around the lectures. Another week I can pick out to give you a rough idea is below:
Monday PBL 9-11 lecture 11-12 comms skills 3-5
Tue- PBL 9-11, clinical skills 1-3
Wed- 9-1 of back to back lectures w 30 min breaj
Thur - comms skills 9-11 anatomy 1-3
Friday 9-12 lectures 2-3 lecture
On a Friday you always get a 2 hr gap between 12-2

I dont know about 3-5th year placements yet but you get a separate timetable that consist of coming into uni 1 day a week on a Friday
Hope this helped!!
In the first 2 weeks it’s all induction and freshers activities and introductory lectures e.g lectures on attendance, societies,placements, introduction to physiology, introduction to pharmacology, introduction to biomedicine etc etc etc …… however afterthem 2 weeks a typical week varies. In the first 2 years your in every day pretty much monday- Friday. If this helps this was oneof my weeks: Mon: 9-12 PBL and lecture, 1-3pm communication skills Tues: 9-11 PBL, 1-3pm (what makes a good dr lecture with the GP team) Wed: 9-11, 11.30-1pm lectures and histology workshop Thur: 9-11 anatomy, 1-3pm practical relating to this weeks anatomy Fri: 9-11, 2-5pm lectures
No not all medics are in the same accommodation, the most popular is scotia quay given its en-suite, next door is panns bankwhich has medical students as well, it depends where you apply, some people go for private accommodations in sunderlandcity centre e.g AXO, phoenix house, Jopling house. Most medical students however in my year group from what ive seen areIn scotia quay or panns bank but that is just subject to availability I guess.
Our first exam was a mix of MCQ’s and long written answers
I had already done my a levels because I took a gap year so my experience was a bit different, but during the summer if youhave an offer I would take a relaxing break and make the most out of it!! Medicine is tough and requires a LOT of effort not justin lectures but lots of time is required outside of the teaching hours, so make sure you are prepared ahahah
Hopethishelped
Original post by Tinyy7
This is a copy paste from some questions I answered a couple of months ago but I can add some more info:
Ive put a typical week down below, it stays like that pretty much week to week. We sometimes have a ‘ciriculum catch up week’ where we only have approx 3 hours of teaching and the week to study ourselves which is good. We also had one ‘reading week’ in semester 1 where we had no scheduled lectures or teaching. There will be the odd weeks some times where we will have lectures on a Tuesday just from 9-11 anf that’s basically a day off like a wednesday. Again on Fridays sometimes we finish super early and only have 9-12. But again, there can be lectures it just depends. But in terms as for a part time job we get or full day to day calendar when you start so you can plan work ahead of time.
You could expect maybe 6-9 lectures a week? Roughly speaking. But this doesnt include PBL, any workshops we have, clinical skills, communication skills, anatomy etc etc, there are so many other sessions that fill around the lectures. Another week I can pick out to give you a rough idea is below:
Monday PBL 9-11 lecture 11-12 comms skills 3-5
Tue- PBL 9-11, clinical skills 1-3
Wed- 9-1 of back to back lectures w 30 min breaj
Thur - comms skills 9-11 anatomy 1-3
Friday 9-12 lectures 2-3 lecture
On a Friday you always get a 2 hr gap between 12-2
I dont know about 3-5th year placements yet but you get a separate timetable that consist of coming into uni 1 day a week on a Friday
Hope this helped!!
In the first 2 weeks it’s all induction and freshers activities and introductory lectures e.g lectures on attendance, societies,placements, introduction to physiology, introduction to pharmacology, introduction to biomedicine etc etc etc …… however afterthem 2 weeks a typical week varies. In the first 2 years your in every day pretty much monday- Friday. If this helps this was oneof my weeks: Mon: 9-12 PBL and lecture, 1-3pm communication skills Tues: 9-11 PBL, 1-3pm (what makes a good dr lecture with the GP team) Wed: 9-11, 11.30-1pm lectures and histology workshop Thur: 9-11 anatomy, 1-3pm practical relating to this weeks anatomy Fri: 9-11, 2-5pm lectures
No not all medics are in the same accommodation, the most popular is scotia quay given its en-suite, next door is panns bankwhich has medical students as well, it depends where you apply, some people go for private accommodations in sunderlandcity centre e.g AXO, phoenix house, Jopling house. Most medical students however in my year group from what ive seen areIn scotia quay or panns bank but that is just subject to availability I guess.
Our first exam was a mix of MCQ’s and long written answers
I had already done my a levels because I took a gap year so my experience was a bit different, but during the summer if youhave an offer I would take a relaxing break and make the most out of it!! Medicine is tough and requires a LOT of effort not justin lectures but lots of time is required outside of the teaching hours, so make sure you are prepared ahahah
Hopethishelped
Hi thank you so much, this was so detailed!!😁

Do you know if youre able to watch the lecture back (online) to make notes or does all the learning have to be done during the lecture?

Again thanks for the help it was really appreciated!
Hi thank you so much, this was so detailed!!😁
Do you know if youre able to watch the lecture back (online) to make notes or does all the learning have to be done during the lecture?
Again thanks for the help it was really appreciated!

The recordings of the lecture get posted on our canvas page about a day later so you can watch them back

Hi there,

We get wednesday afternoons off yeah. But the other days are typically 9-5. So in terms of working you would need an evening/weekend job I would say. The timetable changes year on year so I cannot say how many lectures you may have in the day but as you move through the years the timetable becomes different. It is no longer university based and so the timetable is dependent on the trust you are at. You can expect to have Wednesday afternoons off in most placements and be 9-5 the other days.

I hope this helps

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Hi guys,
if anyone want to study medicine in Georgia message me. I am a UK student currently studying there. I am happy to answer any questions
heyy is there a group chat for offer holders??
Original post by nahya_
heyy is there a group chat for offer holders??

We should make one
Original post by Obsidian.
We should make one

Yeahh we should.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending