The Student Room Group

Nusing degree mature student -jumping through hoops to have place confirmed

Anyone else having to jump through hoops to get your degree place confirmed?
Reference from current employer… I’m still working
GCSE results- can’t find English certificate college and exam board now dissolved hoping will take city and guilds level 2 communication instead.

I already have studied for a degree 20years ago and since then trained nurses across the U.K. on medical devices in theatres/ICU/wards but still need to jump through hoops… however if I was 18yrs old and have 3 Alevels of course we will take you!! Doesn’t make sense at all! They might pass out at the sight of open heart surgery or not but surely age experience stands for something? I’m giving up a good job to go into nursing so it’s not a oooooo I’ll do that course idea!

Sorry moan over but I’d love to hear other stories of getting a place
Reply 1
Yea it seems to be Education first now when it comes to the Nursing Degree. Experience doesn't seem to make a difference when applying for it. I'm still waiting on a confirmed place. I have sent all my results.
Reply 2
Original post by Jojo777
Yea it seems to be Education first now when it comes to the Nursing Degree. Experience doesn't seem to make a difference when applying for it. I'm still waiting on a confirmed place. I have sent all my results.

Thank you for reply…. I’m not the only one… it’s a joke as Mature students who have had a career and want to do it haven’t taken that decision lightly at all. I’ve wanted to do it for the last 10years unsure if most younger people could say that? Maybe some can and maybe they have cared for relatives but what will be will be, good luck with it all hope you get the place confirmed soon
Reply 3
you have to show that you meet the nmc requiements. thats not an age thing.
Reply 4
Original post by paub
you have to show that you meet the nmc requiements. thats not an age thing.

No experience so basically you stating so long as I have a piece of paper in my hand with a certain grade on that’s worth more than any years of experience?

There’s me thinking there’s a shortage of nurses ….. maybe that is why! I’ve trained nurses on medical equipment and not all but a fair amount had very little English skills.
Reply 5
Original post by Hoppo98!
No experience so basically you stating so long as I have a piece of paper in my hand with a certain grade on that’s worth more than any years of experience?

There’s me thinking there’s a shortage of nurses ….. maybe that is why! I’ve trained nurses on medical equipment and not all but a fair amount had very little English skills.

there are very sound reasons for those bits of paper. experience is not always a plus.
Reply 6
Original post by paub
there are very sound reasons for those bits of paper. experience is not always a plus.

Seams to be the case for education however not so much for employment thanks for your info tho
Reply 7
I'm 52 and I start my nursing degree next month.

I'm sorry your having such a rubbish experience.

I've only had positive experiences with all my uni applications.

You've either got the grades or you haven't.
Reply 8
Original post by Zeebee71

Thank you and good luck for next month 😊😊
I do have a degree in a science foundation degree and city and guilds certs and some Wellards and ABPI certifications and got the GCSEs just couldn’t find the certificate 🙈🙈 it’s probably because I’ve gone via clearing and not applied earlier?
Reply 9
Original post by Zeebee71

Hi ya I'm 40 and Starting this Month. Great to hear from another mature student if thats what we are supposed to be 🤣
Reply 10
Original post by Jojo777
Hi ya I'm 40 and Starting this Month. Great to hear from another mature student if thats what we are supposed to be 🤣

I am far from mature !!!!! 😂😂 my place now all confirmed too 😊😊
Reply 11
The things the uni are after are set by the NMC, they have to check that you have these qualifications to be able to offer you a place on the course and send off for your registration on completion of the course. It's a pain in the bum if it's been decades since you achieved those qualifications, but the uni often don't have any wiggle room with this sort of stuff.

I see you've now had your place confirmed, congrats, hope you enjoy the course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending