The Student Room Group

Official: University of St Andrews A100 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Many thanks. Wondering the admission policy or selection criteria is same as A100 or more difficult.

Original post by _Rusty_
What would you like to know?
Original post by Luckluck
Many thanks. Wondering the admission policy or selection criteria is same as A100 or more difficult.

You are put up against fellow applicants so it’ll still be the highest UCATs and following interview score
Reply 22
Many thanks.
So my son's worries is will this A990 student's course work and A100 course work be any different?
He is concerning about why there is a Canadian Pathway!
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Original post by _Rusty_

Original post by _Rusty_
You are put up against fellow applicants so it’ll still be the highest UCATs and following interview score
Many thanks.
So my son's worries is will this A990 student's course work and A100 course work be any different?

There is no difference in work - we all attend the same teaching and have the same exams
Reply 24
Many thanks.

It will be the same course and I imagine this relates to some notable Canadian alumnus from many moons ago that started the Pathway and it has just stuck!
Reply 25
Thank you so much for sharing. Very much appreciated.
:smile:

Original post by _Rusty_

Original post by _Rusty_
Reply 26
Hello, I am a bit confused about the contextual eligibility... I am eligible for a contextual offer but I am not sure whether I have to submit further proof or make any kind of application for it?
Reply 27
Does anyone know what is the lowest UCAT cut-off for 2023?
Reply 28
Original post by ssofiaq
Hello, I am a bit confused about the contextual eligibility... I am eligible for a contextual offer but I am not sure whether I have to submit further proof or make any kind of application for it?

Hi! The uni should email for further proof, just make sure you put it on your ucas form:smile:
Reply 29
Original post by GANFYD
It will be the same course and I imagine this relates to some notable Canadian alumnus from many moons ago that started the Pathway and it has just stuck!

(plus anyone else who might know the answer ). St Andrews invites the top 400 UCAT's to an interview , but do they discriminate here on RUK applicants or not ? So what im asking is will they rank the RUK and Scottish applicants separately or do they not discriminate here on where you're applying from . I thought you might know hence @ u . With my UCAT of 2910(non contextual ) im not sure if I'll make the cutoff but who knows . Thanks
Reply 30
Original post by examboard
(plus anyone else who might know the answer ). St Andrews invites the top 400 UCAT's to an interview , but do they discriminate here on RUK applicants or not ? So what im asking is will they rank the RUK and Scottish applicants separately or do they not discriminate here on where you're applying from . I thought you might know hence @ u . With my UCAT of 2910(non contextual ) im not sure if I'll make the cutoff but who knows . Thanks

I know others wouldn't agree, but I am not sure discriminate is the right word!
St Andrew's do cohort their fee status applicants, as they have quotas for the number of each fee type they should accept. In recent years, RUK has had a much higher UCAT cut off than Home, though they used to be pretty similar, and not that long ago RUK cut off was lower! They will know what proportion of Home and RUK they can interview and the cut off is the Xth person on that list, where X is the number of interviews for each fee type. They actually have almost the same number of RUK places as Home, historically, and I think it goes to show that strategic application pushes cut offs up! I am sure the fact they topped the league tables had an impact, too.
It is complicated by their fairly wide contextual requirements and the fact they give a 10% uplift to UCAT for those that meet them.
You should be OK :smile:
Reply 31
Original post by GANFYD
I know others wouldn't agree, but I am not sure discriminate is the right word!
St Andrew's do cohort their fee status applicants, as they have quotas for the number of each fee type they should accept. In recent years, RUK has had a much higher UCAT cut off than Home, though they used to be pretty similar, and not that long ago RUK cut off was lower! They will know what proportion of Home and RUK they can interview and the cut off is the Xth person on that list, where X is the number of interviews for each fee type. They actually have almost the same number of RUK places as Home, historically, and I think it goes to show that strategic application pushes cut offs up! I am sure the fact they topped the league tables had an impact, too.
It is complicated by their fairly wide contextual requirements and the fact they give a 10% uplift to UCAT for those that meet them.
You should be OK :smile:

yeye "discriminate " the defo not the right now , should of used "differentiate " , thanks for the info though , helps me get to sleep at night 😭
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 32
Since last year St Andrews interviews started at 15th of November , surely interview invites will start coming off shortly ? im guessing they invite the high scorers first ?
Wondering anyone with direct application to A990 (Canadian Pathway) please?

I am from Canada and our school just had a student started A990 in Sep. My understanding is that A990 prepared the students to do IMG residency in Canada. A100 prepares the students to do residency in UK. A990 may not be able to apply UK residency as a local graduate per their website.
Reply 34
Original post by trtrrteter643
Hi I’m wanting to apply for psychology at at Andrews I know it’s meant to be very competitive but I just don’t know a lot about how it works , is there a certain amount of RUK students admitted each year and does this make it harder to get in? Also the offers are lower then most Russel groups but the offer rates are much lower are grades not as important as the personal statement (WHICH I STRUGGGLED WITH) if anyone knows what kid of criteria they make these decisions of please lmk

This is the A100 medicine thread, so not sure people will be able to help on here
Reply 35
Hi, does anyone know when we should start hearing about interviews, and if it differs between pools of applicants (i.e. scottish or RUK)?
Reply 36
Original post by Drcreamdonut
Hi guys, I really like St Andrews and was hoping I could get in. I am an English home student (so RUK) non-contextual, who meets all academic criteria, and has a UCAT of 2970 band 2. I was wondering a) what the lowest RUK non-contextual UCAT score that was invited to interview last year (the lowest I have seen is 2830), and also b) whether you believe it likely for me to get an interview at this lovely school.

Edit:

Moreover, I am aware RUK students are at a disadvantage when applying to Scottish medical schools, but I was wondering whether this still holds true at the interview, as I've heard St Andrews has an excellent interview to offer ratio (about 85% from my sources), so would this % differ by whether the applicant is RUK or Scottish? Finally, is the English or Scottish route more competitive?

St andrews reserve a third of their spaces for English, Scottish and international students respectively so going by that there's no advantage. That being said, more English students will apply purely down to the larger population
Anyone recived interview invites from st Andrews ?
Reply 38
Original post by Amaan jiffry
Anyone recived interview invites from st Andrews ?

Nopee
Interview invite today for St Andrews A100, RUK, UCAT 2970 band 2, no widening participation/ access (non-contextual), interview on the 29th of November.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending