The Student Room Group

Winchester or Aberystwyth

So I’m starting uni this September, and the choice is between two unis for an English literature and creative writing course.

Aberystwyth is far away from my home, small town, maybe it’s my anxiety talking but as someone from south oxford I’m slightly worried I may be looked down on. But, it’s like 39th on the league table overall, 30th for English lit, while I don’t like small towns like that it is rather nice, and my choice of accom is quite good.

Winchester on the other hand, I really love the city, the course is pretty good, but it’s ranked a lot lower on the league table in both regards compared to aberystwyth (I know that’s not a very good metric, but I think it’s got to be worth some consideration?), I know friends going there, and the price point isn’t a huge issue for me, but aberystwyth would be much more affordable.

Overall, I really like both. I feel like aberystwyth has more going for it academically speaking but everything else form the location and so on would possibly bog me down, this worry I don’t have with winchester, however academically it may have less going for it.

I honestly have no idea what to pick. I keep swaying back and forth between the two unis
Original post by ZoinkMan32
So I’m starting uni this September, and the choice is between two unis for an English literature and creative writing course.

Aberystwyth is far away from my home, small town, maybe it’s my anxiety talking but as someone from south oxford I’m slightly worried I may be looked down on. But, it’s like 39th on the league table overall, 30th for English lit, while I don’t like small towns like that it is rather nice, and my choice of accom is quite good.

Winchester on the other hand, I really love the city, the course is pretty good, but it’s ranked a lot lower on the league table in both regards compared to aberystwyth (I know that’s not a very good metric, but I think it’s got to be worth some consideration?), I know friends going there, and the price point isn’t a huge issue for me, but aberystwyth would be much more affordable.

Overall, I really like both. I feel like aberystwyth has more going for it academically speaking but everything else form the location and so on would possibly bog me down, this worry I don’t have with winchester, however academically it may have less going for it.

I honestly have no idea what to pick. I keep swaying back and forth between the two unis

1. Forget league tables - they aren't important :security:

2. The people of Aberystwyth are a very friendly bunch and while you may get a few tongue-in-cheek comments about being posh, you aren't going to be made to feel unwelcome. :nah:

3. The choice is do you go with somewhere familiar, or do you go with somewhere that you can save up some money. But also, for English Lit, LOOK AT THE COURSE. Modules will vary wildly between the two so choose the one that interests you most. :biggrin:
Original post by ZoinkMan32

Hello,

I don't envy being in the position of having to choose between two different places, but I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you when the time comes!

I'm happy to help answer any questions you have about the courses at Winchester or just life in general, So let me know :smile:

It's good you've had a look at the league tables, but there are many metrics that make up the overall score, so this is something to be aware of. For example, if you sort by 'graduate prospects' on the CUG Subject table then we are ranked 10th for English. This is a combination of our passionate academics, great location and our brilliant careers team who I always recommend our students get to know as soon as possible.

Sometimes with these things it just comes down to your gut feeling, I think there is value in going to a university in a location you know you'll enjoy, as your going to spend 3 years there! Having said that, it's great to see new locations as well.

Get in touch if you have any further questions

Luke

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending