The Student Room Group
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester

The Official Winchester University Offer Holder Thread 2024

Hey guys! I noticed that there wasn't an offer holder thread for Winchester University, so I thought I'd make one so we can all get to know each other better.

This is a thread where you can discuss Winchester related stuff with other offer holders and ask any questions you may have (I'm sure Winchester uni will be more than happy to answer as many as they can!)

Here's some questions for you to answer to help start the conversation (I'll leave my answers in a post below!):

1. What's your name (if you'd like to share it) and what are 3 things you enjoy doing outside of school work?
2. What course are you applying for and why?
3. Is Winchester going to be your firm/insurance choice?
4. Why did you choose to apply to Winchester?
5. What subjects do you currently do and what are your predicted grades? And what are the terms of your offer?

I'll look forward to chatting with you all soon! Congratulations on your offer!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kayleigh_t.27
Hey guys! I noticed that there wasn't an offer holder thread for Winchester University, so I thought I'd make one so we can all get to know each other better.

This is a thread where you can discuss Winchester related stuff with other offer holders and ask any questions you may have (I'm sure Winchester uni will be more than happy to answer as many as they can!)

Here's some questions for you to answer to help start the conversation (I'll leave my answers in a post below!):

1. What's your name (if you'd like to share it) and what are 3 things you enjoy doing outside of school work?
2. What course are you applying for and why?
3. Is Winchester going to be your firm/insurance choice?
4. Why did you choose to apply to Winchester?
5. What subjects do you currently do and what are your predicted grades? And what are the terms of your offer?

I'll look forward to chatting with you all soon! Congratulations on your offer!!

Hi, my name is Kay! When I'm not busy revising for exams or writing essays (cries in takes three essay subjects), I enjoy doing yoga, reading and listening to music (current fav artists include Taylor Swift, Tom Grennan, Chase Atlantic and David Kushner)

I'm applying for the psychology and child development course - I know this is going to sound cringe but I've known since like year 9 that I wanted to do something related to therapy (not realising that came under psychology at that stage!) and when it came to choosing my alevel options in year 11, psychology was a no brainer for me. Since I've been enjoying it so much at alevel, I wanted to continue studying it at university - and I decided to go for the child development pathway with it as all I know about what I want to do with my life is that I want to work with children in something relating to psychology (so essentially I want to be some sort of child psychologist).

Winchester are going to be my firm choice 🙂

I chose to apply to Winchester after a colleague at work recommended it as her daughter went there to study history, and I absolutely fell in love with the university on the open day I went to! Also I like that it's a really quiet uni compared to most of the others, and that's something I like - I like the individualism that Winchester give you 🙂 Also, the city is BEAUTIFUL! Waterstones? They've got TWO. Crystal shop? ABSOLUTELY. THE WORKS??? YES PLEASE! And to top it all off, it just so happens that my favourite author (good old Jane Austen) is buried in their cathedral :0 It reminds me so much of my home town but just on a larger scale and I love that!

I currently do English lit (B) History (A) and Psychology (A*) at alevel, and the conditions of my offer are to get 120 ucas points!

Hope to chat with more of you soon :smile:)
University campus
University of Winchester
Winchester
Reply 2
Hi, I'm Ren and I love reading, playing clarinet, and flying toy planes in circles. I'm also pretty obsessed with cricket (have never learnt to play though unfortunately) and the BBC Merlin series.

I am applying for archaeology because for most of my life I've believed that it is the most interesting job that a person could have and I have always just loved the material evidence side of history and prehistory.

Winchester is going to be my firm choice.

I chose to apply to Winchester because it has a cathedral (I like cathedrals and there's none near where I live so), it's only about 2 hours train journey from where I live so not too near or too far, and when I went to the open day I just felt the most comfortable I've ever been in a place. The two Waterstones is also a very tempting proposition.

Right now I'm studying History, Geography, Music and Physics. Honestly can't tell you what my predicted grades are because we haven't actually been told. My offer is 120 UCAS points
Original post by North27
Hi, I'm Ren and I love reading, playing clarinet, and flying toy planes in circles. I'm also pretty obsessed with cricket (have never learnt to play though unfortunately) and the BBC Merlin series.

I am applying for archaeology because for most of my life I've believed that it is the most interesting job that a person could have and I have always just loved the material evidence side of history and prehistory.

Winchester is going to be my firm choice.

I chose to apply to Winchester because it has a cathedral (I like cathedrals and there's none near where I live so), it's only about 2 hours train journey from where I live so not too near or too far, and when I went to the open day I just felt the most comfortable I've ever been in a place. The two Waterstones is also a very tempting proposition.

Right now I'm studying History, Geography, Music and Physics. Honestly can't tell you what my predicted grades are because we haven't actually been told. My offer is 120 UCAS points

Hi Ren! It's great to hear from someone else who has Winchester as their firm choice 🙂 Also I totally agree with Winchester being the most comfortable you've ever been in a place - as I said before, it's so much like the town I currently live in and for someone who hates massive cities, Winchester was just perfect! What exam board are you doing for history - mine's aqa. Also, what's your favourite book since you also like reading?
Reply 4
Hi Ren! It's great to hear from someone else who has Winchester as their firm choice 🙂 Also I totally agree with Winchester being the most comfortable you've ever been in a place - as I said before, it's so much like the town I currently live in and for someone who hates massive cities, Winchester was just perfect! What exam board are you doing for history - mine's aqa. Also, what's your favourite book since you also like reading?

I also do aqa ( Royal Authority and the Angevins, and USA the making of a Superpower).

I'd say my favourite book at the moment is any of the books in the Great Library series by Rachel Caine because whats not to love about a book about books. What's yours?
Reply 5
Hi, my name is James and I play badminton, the double bass and I enjoy reading. I watch a lot of football but I am terrible at playing it so play FIFA (EAfc or whatever its called) instead.

I have applied for Archaeology because I am obsessed with history but I want to be out in the field with direct contact with artefacts rather than analysing a historian's interpretation.

I have accepted Winchester as my Firm choice

I chose Winchester because I love the feel of the Uni and the course was perfect for me (one of the lecturers in a battlefield archaeologist and I am "slightly" obsessed with military history 🙂 I haven't even looked around the city yet but as it was the old capital of England, I think there will be enough history for me. I may also have to fight you two (Ren and Kay) for the Waterstones...

I am currently studying History, Geography, Biology and I have done AS Core Maths. My offer is for 120 UCAS points but with an A in core maths, it is 100 points. I think I am predicted 3Bs but I'm not sure as I haven't looked since I applied.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by North27
I also do aqa ( Royal Authority and the Angevins, and USA the making of a Superpower).

I'd say my favourite book at the moment is any of the books in the Great Library series by Rachel Caine because whats not to love about a book about books. What's yours?

Ahhh lovely!

My all time favourite has got to be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Darcy and Elizabeth >>>>), but I'm currently really enjoying the Thursday Murder Club series by Richard Osman and the One of Us is Lying series by Karen McManus!!
Original post by HamesOg
Hi, my name is James and I play badminton, the double bass and I enjoy reading. I watch a lot of football but I am terrible at playing it so play FIFA (EAfc or whatever its called) instead.

I have applied for Archaeology because I am obsessed with history but I want to be out in the field with direct contact with artefacts rather than analysing a historian's interpretation.

I have accepted Winchester as my Firm choice

I chose Winchester because I love the feel of the Uni and the course was perfect for me (one of the lecturers in a battlefield archaeologist and I am "slightly" obsessed with military history 🙂 I haven't even looked around the city yet but as it was the old capital of England, I think there will be enough history for me. I may also have to fight you two (Ren and Kay) for the Waterstones...

I am currently studying History, Geography, Biology and I have done AS Core Maths. My offer is for 120 UCAS points but with an A in core maths, it is 100 points. I think I am predicted 3Bs but I'm not sure as I haven't looked since I applied.

Hey James!! Exciting to add another one to the crew of Winchester firm choicers! Looks like we might have to be going on a Waterstones trip together as long as we all get in to the uni (which I'm sure we will!)

There also seems to be a lovely crew of alevel historians building here too 😂 what exam board do you do?
Reply 8
Ahhh lovely!

My all time favourite has got to be Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Darcy and Elizabeth >>>>), but I'm currently really enjoying the Thursday Murder Club series by Richard Osman and the One of Us is Lying series by Karen McManus!!

I LOVE One of Us is Lying, did you watch the tv series?
I haven't read Richard Osman's books yet, I intend to at some point but haven't had a chance yet.
Reply 9
Hey James!! Exciting to add another one to the crew of Winchester firm choicers! Looks like we might have to be going on a Waterstones trip together as long as we all get in to the uni (which I'm sure we will!)

There also seems to be a lovely crew of alevel historians building here too 😂 what exam board do you do?

I'm seconding this Waterstones trip
Original post by North27
I LOVE One of Us is Lying, did you watch the tv series?
I haven't read Richard Osman's books yet, I intend to at some point but haven't had a chance yet.

I didn't no, was it good??

OMG you have to read Richard Osman's, they're literally amazing (and I'm just a little bit in love with all the elderly people 😗)
Reply 11

AQA, I think, the topics are Germany 1918-45, Tudors and NEA on Civil Rights
Reply 12
Original post by North27
I'm seconding this Waterstones trip

Guess where my loan is going 😉
Reply 13
I didn't no, was it good??

OMG you have to read Richard Osman's, they're literally amazing (and I'm just a little bit in love with all the elderly people 😗)

The first series was great and they cast the characters really well. There's also a second series but I haven't watched it because we don't have Netflix at the moment.
Reply 14
Original post by HistoryVangaurd
Hi,

I'm Joshua, I have applied for Archaeology and I have accepted my offer from Winchester. The reason I applied to Winchester because they have a very good battlefield archaeology lecturer and I very much love military history and industrial archaeology as well.

The other reason I chose Winchester because It's only two and half hours away from home what is nice and gives me space from home as well, but close enough I can get home quite easily. Winchester is also a lovely place, and it's smaller than other uni cities and towns I have looked at. And a nice thing is Winchester has two Waterstones what is nice.

The other hobbies I have is Railway history and photography

There are going to be no new books in Winchester by the time we leave at this rate
Original post by HamesOg
AQA, I think, the topics are Germany 1918-45, Tudors and NEA on Civil Rights

Omg I do aqa with tudors too! I do international relations as well though 🙂 my nea is on the suffragettes
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by North27
The first series was great and they cast the characters really well. There's also a second series but I haven't watched it because we don't have Netflix at the moment.

I'll try and get around to watching it if I can!!
Original post by HamesOg
There are going to be no new books in Winchester by the time we leave at this rate

LMAO literally 😂 also why on earth are we all historians and why do all three of you so far want to do archaeology haha, Winchester is just gonna be full of all the same people but in different fonts
Reply 18
LMAO literally 😂 also why on earth are we all historians and why do all three of you so far want to do archaeology haha, Winchester is just gonna be full of all the same people but in different fonts

You can never have too many archaeologists. Imo it's the best job you could want, you get paid to dig a hole in the ground, it's great! 😁
What is everyone's favourite part of History(and or era)?
Mine is War, mostly the Roman warfare then skipping to the Napoleonic Wars and WW2, I find WW1 too static for any tactics except throw as many men at the enamy as possible and if there are machine guns, send more. I am inter a ted mainly in the larger scale of it, the tactics and stratagy than the individuals.

Oh and does anyone know when we can apply for accommodation?
Reply 19
Omg I do aqa with tudors too! I do international relations as well though 🙂 my nea is on the suffragettes

I wanted to do my NEA on something war related but at the school I go to, we have to do it on civil rights as we learnt the content anyway. I have still managed to talk about African Americans impact of wars throughout US history for a third of it so its not all bad....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending