The Student Room Group

Can I restart my UCAS application during my gap year if I wanted to?

Hi guys I'm going to take a gap year after year 13 (currently transitioning into y13 this year). Currently I am set on computer science and want to do a course so it would make sense to do a differed entry to secure my place.

However, if during my gap year I change my mind on what course I want to do and I have already received offers and accepted, could I just restart the whole UCAS process again and apply for a different course and unis? If so how would the process work?
Original post by Clivierx
Hi guys I'm going to take a gap year after year 13 (currently transitioning into y13 this year). Currently I am set on computer science and want to do a course so it would make sense to do a differed entry to secure my place.

However, if during my gap year I change my mind on what course I want to do and I have already received offers and accepted, could I just restart the whole UCAS process again and apply for a different course and unis? If so how would the process work?

I would say if you're not 100% sure on your course choice to hold off on submitting your application to UCAS until after Christmas to minimise the time between applying and starting the course.
I'd also recommend only using 4 of your 5 choices so you have at least 1 choice available to use UCAS Extra if you change your mind later.

You can't re-do an entire UCAS application within a cycle (apart from if you cancel within 14 days of applying) - but UCAS has Extra and then Clearing available for applicants who change their minds
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
I would say if you're not 100% sure on your course choice to hold off on submitting your application to UCAS until after Christmas to minimise the time between applying and starting the course.
I'd also recommend only using 4 of your 5 choices so you have at least 1 choice available to use UCAS Extra if you change your mind later.

You can't re-do an entire UCAS application within a cycle (apart from if you cancel within 14 days of applying) - but UCAS has Extra and then Clearing available for applicants who change their minds

Yeah I meant if I apply during year 13 and if I change my mind can I change it on the next cycle which would be in my Gap year. Wouldn't the cycle repeat on my gap year?
Yeah I meant if I apply during year 13 and if I change my mind can I change it on the next cycle which would be in my Gap year. Wouldn't the cycle repeat on my gap year?

I think I understand what you mean - you apply in year 13 for deferred entry and then you want to know if you can change your mind during your gap year. So in that case...

Yes, yes you can do a UCAS application during your gap year - it'll be a brand new one, you'll be able to apply to do anything, anywhere! But you'll have to withdraw from any offers you might hold.
Reply 4
Original post by Scotland Yard
I think I understand what you mean - you apply in year 13 for deferred entry and then you want to know if you can change your mind during your gap year. So in that case...

Yes, yes you can do a UCAS application during your gap year - it'll be a brand new one, you'll be able to apply to do anything, anywhere! But you'll have to withdraw from any offers you might hold.

ahh okay, thank you so much for this! So would I have to like delete my previous application or simply reject all the offers?
ahh okay, thank you so much for this! So would I have to like delete my previous application or simply reject all the offers?

You'll have to reject all the offers. There will probably be a button to reject your offer, if there isn't, you should call UCAS and let them know!

But this is all very hypothetical at the moment so I suggest you just relax, do your application now in year 13 and worry about what to do if you change your mind if that happens :smile:

If you apply during year 13 and ask for deferred entry for Sep/Oct 25, then (hopefully) following results day in August 24 you will be holding a confirmed place (not offers). If during your gap year you decide to apply for a different course, then you would need to ask your uni to release you from your place so that you can start a new UCAS application for that cycle. If your current uni offers the course you want to change to, then you could ask them if a course swap would be possible instead.

Before you leave school, it is worth asking the teacher who wrote your reference if they would be happy to do it again the following year if you decide to reapply.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Scotland Yard
You'll have to reject all the offers. There will probably be a button to reject your offer, if there isn't, you should call UCAS and let them know!

But this is all very hypothetical at the moment so I suggest you just relax, do your application now in year 13 and worry about what to do if you change your mind if that happens :smile:

Yeah haha, good point, I feel like I'm overthinking the details, I appreciate your advice!
Reply 8
Original post by normaw
If you apply during year 13 and ask for deferred entry for Sep/Oct 25, then (hopefully) following results day in August 24 you will be holding a confirmed place (not offers). If during your gap year you decide to apply for a different course, then you would need to ask your uni to release you from your place so that you can start a new UCAS application for that cycle. If your current uni offers the course you want to change to, then you could ask them if a course swap would be possible instead.

Before you leave school, it is worth asking the teacher who wrote your reference if they would be happy to do it again the following year if you decide to reapply.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending