The Student Room Group

Switching Universities

I am currently in my first year of University however I have become unhappy for a variety of reasons. I am looking to drop out until September and then restart my course at a different University. To restart the same course (from year 1) at a different University should I reapply on UCAS or contact Universities that I wish to apply for directly?
(edited 2 years ago)
You can't apply directly.
You have to reapply with a totally new application through UCAS.
Drop out and apply via UCAS. The longer you stay at your present uni, the more of the course fees you will have to pay.
Original post by random0912479
I am currently in my first year of University however I have become unhappy for a variety of reasons. I am looking to drop out until September and then restart my course at a different University. To restart the same course (from year 1) at a different University should I reapply on UCAS or contact Universities that I wish to apply for directly?

The Transfer FAQ may help you with the process.

For year 1 entry it's not really necessary to contact your new choices ahead of an application. Just ensure that you list your current incomplete study in the education history section.
Original post by Admit-One
The Transfer FAQ may help you with the process.

For year 1 entry it's not really necessary to contact your new choices ahead of an application. Just ensure that you list your current incomplete study in the education history section.

Hi! i know this thread is a year old but you seem to know how to go about applying to transfer
when i am putting in the university i am currently at in the education section , do i set the end date to when i plan to leave or when i would have graduated if i completed the course?
I am in first year btw and I am considering transferring into 1st year of another course in a different university
Original post by moneyislife2408
Hi! i know this thread is a year old but you seem to know how to go about applying to transfer
when i am putting in the university i am currently at in the education section , do i set the end date to when i plan to leave or when i would have graduated if i completed the course?
I am in first year btw and I am considering transferring into 1st year of another course in a different university

I'd imagine when you plan to leave.

You put the date you will leave if you get an offer that you want to accept. UCAS won’t let you put an end date in 2026 if you’re applying for 2024 start courses
Yup, just when you'd leave the course if taking up a place elsewhere.
Hi there!

You don't always have to go through UCAS to change universities. You can apply by contacting the university directly and completing an Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL). Basically, what this means is that you would submit an application to transfer your credits from your current uni, and the academic tutors will assess whether the credits you have completed are a good match for the course content.

You can also reapply through clearing in the summer, however places on your preferred course may be limited, or the course may not accept clearing applications. I would recommend getting in touch with your preferred uni and asking them about the process, as they will be able to advise you more specifically.

Best of luck with your transfer!

-Ella
Graduate Advocate
Original post by PQ
You put the date you will leave if you get an offer that you want to accept. UCAS won’t let you put an end date in 2026 if you’re applying for 2024 start courses

Oh I’ve already attempted setting the end date to july 2026 and UCAS allowed me to do so which is why i was originally confused
Yup, just when you'd leave the course if taking up a place elsewhere.

thank you for the reply
Oh I’ve already attempted setting the end date to july 2026 and UCAS allowed me to do so which is why i was originally confused

It might just error when you submit then - best to do it for a 2024 finish :yes:
Original post by PQ
It might just error when you submit then - best to do it for a 2024 finish :yes:

Alright then , Thank you for the quick reply!! :smile:
I suppose the important bit is not to imply that you will be trying to complete both courses simultaneously :smile:
I suppose the important bit is not to imply that you will be trying to complete both courses simultaneously :smile:

i don't understand sorry , could you explain what you mean?
i don't understand sorry , could you explain what you mean?

If you entered the current finish date of your course, (rather than the one if you leave early and transfer), the uni may be under the impression that you want to be enrolled on both courses at the same time. Unlikely, but it may cause uncessary confusion.

Don't worry about it, just pop your expected leaving date if you do swap.
If you entered the current finish date of your course, (rather than the one if you leave early and transfer), the uni may be under the impression that you want to be enrolled on both courses at the same time. Unlikely, but it may cause uncessary confusion.

Don't worry about it, just pop your expected leaving date if you do swap.

ohhhh i see , that is a reasonable connotation they could make
thanks for highlighting that!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending