The Student Room Group

advice on a good personal statement to study classics at uni?

i intend to study classics at either UCL or KCL and would like to know what extra things people did that they wrote in their personal statements for classics? any recommendations on stuff i should read or watch + other things you included in your personal statement that might be useful?
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi there!

I think it's really important when writing your personal statement that you include info that you don't have anywhere else on your application - it could be a book that you read that really caught your imagination (maybe one of the modern twists on the myths) - which area of Classics really interests you? (Roman Politics, Greek tragedies...). These are all things that won't be included anywhere else in your application, and will make your personality and your passion for the subject shine through.

A helpful exercise might be just to write down elements from the courses want to study at, and find how you can back up that interest. Remember though, never mention a uni by name in the statement!!

I hope this helps :smile:
Reading reading reading :yep:
Reply 3
Original post by CCCU -Rep
Hi there!

I think it's really important when writing your personal statement that you include info that you don't have anywhere else on your application - it could be a book that you read that really caught your imagination (maybe one of the modern twists on the myths) - which area of Classics really interests you? (Roman Politics, Greek tragedies...). These are all things that won't be included anywhere else in your application, and will make your personality and your passion for the subject shine through.

A helpful exercise might be just to write down elements from the courses want to study at, and find how you can back up that interest. Remember though, never mention a uni by name in the statement!!

thank u so much!!
Reply 4
Original post by CCCU -Rep
Hi there!

What do you mean never mention a uni by name on your statement? Do you mean if you have done a summer school there or similar? So for example if you went on a Sutton trust subject school in say maths? What should you not mention? Thanks.
Original post by Unijourney
What do you mean never mention a uni by name on your statement? Do you mean if you have done a summer school there or similar? So for example if you went on a Sutton trust subject school in say maths? What should you not mention? Thanks.

Hi there, sorry for any confusion! I meant not to mention unis you are applying to in the personal statement. For example, 'The reason I would love to go to Canterbury Christ Church University is....' this wouldn't be a good idea because your other 4 choices will feel a little left out and probably won't take kindly to that!

Of course, if you have attended a summer school somewhere and would like to mention that, that is fine!
Reply 6
Look at these suggestions for extra reading etc from Cambridge - good for all Unis - https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/super-curricular_suggestions_2.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending