The Student Room Group

Changing accom before arriving

Hi,
I’ve recently found out who I’ll be living with and I don’t think I’ll be able to get along with them. We have a group chat and they all like the drinking/partying culture which im definitely not. I know you’ll be saying that to give it a chance but I would prefer to get this sorted out before I take up occupation which will cause further complications. My Uni also said they try to put people who don’t like drinking/noise together but i forgot to mention but now I have so hopefully they will change my room. The halls of residence is fine, I just want to change rooms. Not being judgy but they are the ‘popular’ people you would find in high school. I’ve never gotten along with them and haven’t either when I worked. Also I have a friend who’s in the same halls but different block, is it possible to move to her flat or do I need to speak to another people who in her flat to swap?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I’ve recently found out who I’ll be living with and I don’t think I’ll be able to get along with them. We have a group chat and they all like the drinking/partying culture which im definitely not. I know you’ll be saying that to give it a chance but I would prefer to get this sorted out before I take up occupation which will cause further complications. My Uni also said they try to put people who don’t like drinking/noise together but i forgot to mention but now I have so hopefully they will change my room. The halls of residence is fine, I just want to change rooms. Not being judgy but they are the ‘popular’ people you would find in high school. I’ve never gotten along with them and haven’t either when I worked. Also I have a friend who’s in the same halls but different block, is it possible to move to her flat or do I need to speak to another people who in her flat to swap?

Hi there,
I would definitely recommend contacting your uni accommodation team and explain your concerns. If they have a swap scheme then you may be able to register your interest for that. Hopefully this is possible prior to checking in however, it may be that rooms become available or people would like to swap after they move into their accommodation. The alternative is to look into other forms of accommodation, if you are unhappy with your allocation.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Reply 2
Bump
Hi,

Hi!

I'm not sure how likely it is that you'll be able to swap so close to move-in day, but it is absolutely possible that you should be able to be moved to another dorm! I would get in touch with your university's accommodation team to see if they can arrange this so hopefully you'll be placed somewhere you feel comfortable. If not, there are often studio apartments available in university accommodations, so you could see if this is available to you as well :smile:

Hope this helps!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield
Hi,

Hi there,

I would recommend emailing or getting in touch with your University's accommodation team.

I am not sure how likely to you will be able to swap rooms, but if you explain your situation, I think they can make arrangements e.g.: if they have other rooms, perhaps relocating your choice; or if they are full, you could ask to be placed on a waiting list perhaps.

Last year my friend applied to get accommodation after school term started, and our University managed to arrange something for her within two to three weeks time. So if you raise your concern now, perhaps you will have a higher chance of getting a room change sooner.

I hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
- University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending