The Student Room Group

English Language A-Level - Help

At the start of Year 11 I chose Biology, Chemistry and Law as I found law interesting, however the holiday homework and further research has completely put me off the subject lol. I'm considering swapping it for English Language as I've always been really good at essay writing and have been a consistent grade 9 student throughout secondary school, however there's little to no resources online about it, and seemingly nobody does it. I want a relaxed but interesting A-level to add to biology and chemistry as I can already tell they are extremely strenuous, but can someone please give me their experience of the course and if it's content heavy? Thank you!
Original post by t4smiyah
At the start of Year 11 I chose Biology, Chemistry and Law as I found law interesting, however the holiday homework and further research has completely put me off the subject lol. I'm considering swapping it for English Language as I've always been really good at essay writing and have been a consistent grade 9 student throughout secondary school, however there's little to no resources online about it, and seemingly nobody does it. I want a relaxed but interesting A-level to add to biology and chemistry as I can already tell they are extremely strenuous, but can someone please give me their experience of the course and if it's content heavy? Thank you!

Hi! Which exam board are you doing it with? I'd recommend having a look at their syllabus on their website to understand what you actually have to do, and maybe see if you can get in contact with your college for some more advice!
Reply 2
Original post by Elizabeth.lea
Hi! Which exam board are you doing it with? I'd recommend having a look at their syllabus on their website to understand what you actually have to do, and maybe see if you can get in contact with your college for some more advice!

I'm assuming AQA, and yes I have looked through the spec and i'm a bit more confident, however i'm worried they wont accept my change as it might be too late? When is usually the appropriate timeframe for switching your a-levels and could they decline my request?
I'm assuming AQA, and yes I have looked through the spec and i'm a bit more confident, however i'm worried they wont accept my change as it might be too late? When is usually the appropriate timeframe for switching your a-levels and could they decline my request?

It is down to your college, however if you haven't started the subjects at all, it's likely that they will be very flexible. It's quite usual in the first week for a fair number of people to change around over the first few weeks. I dropped a subject because I only wanted to study three but wasn't sure whether I'd enjoy psychology or sociology more, so I did both for a week or so! Your college will want you to be able to do the best you possibly can, and it's not like you've even missed any lessons. It might be worth emailing them about it now to give them some notice that you'd like to discuss switching, but the most important thing is to discuss it in the first week back so that they can advice you and help you switch!
Reply 4
Original post by Elizabeth.lea
It is down to your college, however if you haven't started the subjects at all, it's likely that they will be very flexible. It's quite usual in the first week for a fair number of people to change around over the first few weeks. I dropped a subject because I only wanted to study three but wasn't sure whether I'd enjoy psychology or sociology more, so I did both for a week or so! Your college will want you to be able to do the best you possibly can, and it's not like you've even missed any lessons. It might be worth emailing them about it now to give them some notice that you'd like to discuss switching, but the most important thing is to discuss it in the first week back so that they can advice you and help you switch!

Thank you so much for your help! I went in to enrol yesterday and asked them and they said they couldn't guarantee anything, however they will try their best to move me.
Thank you so much for your help! I went in to enrol yesterday and asked them and they said they couldn't guarantee anything, however they will try their best to move me.

I hope it goes well and good luck for your a levels!

Quick Reply

Latest