The Student Room Group

Changing from A-Level Spanish to A-Level English Language

Hi everyone, I am now 4 months into studying my A Level subjects and it is now January of Year 12. I was wondering if it is too late to drop A Level spanish and start English language. I got a 7 in English Language at GCSE and on results day i was torn between doing English or spanish and I picked spanish but now I regret that decision

I also take Psychology and Sociology and I feel as though english language would link really nicely with them and I have taken a look at the subject specification and I really like the look of the subject content.

I really enjoy Sociology and Psychology and I feel as though I am not getting the same enjoyment from Spanish. Do you think it is too late and my teachers will not let me change?

Any advice would really help! Xx
Original post by June 2021
Hi everyone, I am now 4 months into studying my A Level subjects and it is now January of Year 12. I was wondering if it is too late to drop A Level spanish and start English language. I got a 7 in English Language at GCSE and on results day i was torn between doing English or spanish and I picked spanish but now I regret that decision

I also take Psychology and Sociology and I feel as though english language would link really nicely with them and I have taken a look at the subject specification and I really like the look of the subject content.

I really enjoy Sociology and Psychology and I feel as though I am not getting the same enjoyment from Spanish. Do you think it is too late and my teachers will not let me change?

Hi

Speak to your teachers and explain all of this to them and see whether there is anything you can do. At my sixth form if you wanted to change around the Christmas holidays mark you had the option to swap and join the class but teach yourself the first terms content in free periods and outside of school using resources provided or you had to re-sit the year - it all depended on space in the class and how much content had been missed.

That being said, speak to your tutor / head of year / senior leadership team etc. as soon as you can as the later you leave this the more you are missing out on and therefore the more likely they are to say no. You will probably need prove to them or convince them you will work hard to catch up and that you will put the work in and that swapping courses is right for you. Make sure to ask them whether they can accommodate this change - if there's room in the class, if you can teach yourself content, if they can provide you support for content missed, if there are revision sessions etc. and see what they would be willing to do to help and support you through this as if they are unable to support you then this may sway you to stay with Spanish.

There is also nothing to say you can't study the whole of english language next year should your teachers allow this. If you continue with Spanish and sit the AS Level in the summer and then drop it you can then study year 1 and year 2 english alongside year 2 psychology and sociology so ask whether this would be a solution.

Hope all that helps, Ella (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by June 2021

I speak to your teachers to see what they say. I might possibly be too late now, as you will have missed out and will have to catch up on too much stuff. Buts worth asking just in case they say yes.
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi

Speak to your teachers and explain all of this to them and see whether there is anything you can do. At my sixth form if you wanted to change around the Christmas holidays mark you had the option to swap and join the class but teach yourself the first terms content in free periods and outside of school using resources provided or you had to re-sit the year - it all depended on space in the class and how much content had been missed.

That being said, speak to your tutor / head of year / senior leadership team etc. as soon as you can as the later you leave this the more you are missing out on and therefore the more likely they are to say no. You will probably need prove to them or convince them you will work hard to catch up and that you will put the work in and that swapping courses is right for you. Make sure to ask them whether they can accommodate this change - if there's room in the class, if you can teach yourself content, if they can provide you support for content missed, if there are revision sessions etc. and see what they would be willing to do to help and support you through this as if they are unable to support you then this may sway you to stay with Spanish.

There is also nothing to say you can't study the whole of english language next year should your teachers allow this. If you continue with Spanish and sit the AS Level in the summer and then drop it you can then study year 1 and year 2 english alongside year 2 psychology and sociology so ask whether this would be a solution.

Hope all that helps, Ella (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hi! As an update, I managed to switch to English Language on Wed 24th. Thankyou so much for replying to my post. Xxx
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
I speak to your teachers to see what they say. I might possibly be too late now, as you will have missed out and will have to catch up on too much stuff. Buts worth asking just in case they say yes.

Hi! Thank you so much for the advice! I managed to switch to English Language on Wed 24 Jan. Xx

Quick Reply

Latest