The Student Room Group

I cannot afford University

Basically I got A*A*B in my A levels and I want to go to University after my gap year to study to become a History teacher. However, I’ve been going over the finances I would be entitled to and every other possible bit of help and it looks like I’m going to struggle A LOT. I would be able to afford it but last year my mum got two cats and somehow managed to convinced me to pay for their food as if I didn’t she would get mad. She still wants £130 a month when I’m at University for this and that is why I cannot afford University. I just don’t know what to do because I feel like I have wasted all of my effort for nothing ;(. I genuinely can’t think about it without bursting into tears.
that's horrible, i'm so sorry!!! however, uni is still possible. lots of people have part time jobs at uni. most unis have campus jobs available too!! or you could take a gap year and work to save up for money to spend at uni and then fund your mum's cats still. don't give up right away!!
Reply 2
So sorry to hear. Congratulations on your grades.

May I ask
- do you know how much student loan you would be able to get?
- where were you planning on applying (for history I guess?) Would that be living away from home?
Reply 3
Original post by Starrytillymae
that's horrible, i'm so sorry!!! however, uni is still possible. lots of people have part time jobs at uni. most unis have campus jobs available too!! or you could take a gap year and work to save up for money to spend at uni and then fund your mum's cats still. don't give up right away!!

you think he could afford the three years of uni bc he can make like 17-20K on minium or even above a little wage.
£30 a week for cat food sounds rather steep? Battersea Dogs & Cats home estimate £20-55 a month: https://www.battersea.org.uk/pet-advice/cat-advice/search-cat-advice/cost-owning-cat

So something isn't adding up there. Also if she's telling you to pay for them then you should just say you'll be taking them with you if so.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Basically I got A*A*B in my A levels and I want to go to University after my gap year to study to become a History teacher. However, I’ve been going over the finances I would be entitled to and every other possible bit of help and it looks like I’m going to struggle A LOT. I would be able to afford it but last year my mum got two cats and somehow managed to convinced me to pay for their food as if I didn’t she would get mad. She still wants £130 a month when I’m at University for this and that is why I cannot afford University. I just don’t know what to do because I feel like I have wasted all of my effort for nothing ;(. I genuinely can’t think about it without bursting into tears.

you should see if your uni has any grants/bursaries availbale that you would be eligible for. dont let this situation ruin the rest of your life.

You're being ripped off.

You can do a degree with the Open University, it is cheaper than emulate university and the time limit to complete your degree is 16 years so you can easily fit it around any schedule. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Clivierx
you think he could afford the three years of uni bc he can make like 17-20K on minium or even above a little wage.

i mean money to give to his mum. or to spend on food whilst at uni. most people i know are going to be on strict budgets as it is but work alongside uni is a big benefit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending