The Student Room Group

psychology at uni

i’m currently a gcse student and i’m picking my a levels now as i’ve just had my grades for gcse. i want to fulfil a course in psychology at uni and have chosen psychology, sociology and criminology and i know i won’t be interested in any sciences or maths so i’ve opted not to study those at a level. will this make my profile less favourable to unis or should i choose a maths + science? i’ve also used an offer calculator to my top choice uni and with what options i’ve now chosen, i’d be likely to receive an offer so when choosing these options, i had no doubts. as of now, my family has told me i need to do a maths and science but they seem irrelevant unless i wanted to do biology which doesn’t matter all that much to the psychology course. what do i do? does science and math subjects matter?
Original post by student2222777
i’m currently a gcse student and i’m picking my a levels now as i’ve just had my grades for gcse. i want to fulfil a course in psychology at uni and have chosen psychology, sociology and criminology and i know i won’t be interested in any sciences or maths so i’ve opted not to study those at a level. will this make my profile less favourable to unis or should i choose a maths + science? i’ve also used an offer calculator to my top choice uni and with what options i’ve now chosen, i’d be likely to receive an offer so when choosing these options, i had no doubts. as of now, my family has told me i need to do a maths and science but they seem irrelevant unless i wanted to do biology which doesn’t matter all that much to the psychology course. what do i do? does science and math subjects matter?

Personally i dont think it matters what subjects you choose except for psychology of course. (some unis even allow you to not have picked psych).

E.g for Manchester uni the entry requirements are. AAB-AAA including one or more of: Psychology, Biology, Human Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Statistics, Mathematics, Further Maths, Geography, Geology, Environmental Science, Applied Science, Computer Science.

It does list science and maths subjects but it does say "one or more" so bc youve chosen psychology youll be fine. The grade matters more than the subject at the end of the day.

Hope this helps :smile:
Maths and science may not be precisely stated, however, one of them would certainly not hurt.

Quick Reply

Latest