The Student Room Group

A levels -> Uni degree

I am in year 11 and do pretty well in all of my subjects, getting almost all 7s,8s,9s, and want to take Chem, Psychology, and Music. These are my favourite 3 subjects that are offered to me, and I can guarantee myself an A* with music and know that it will be a subject I'll enjoy. I want to then (if i go to Uni) continue to either a Chemistry, or Psychology degree. I know psychology wont be much of a problem, but even though some unis say that Bio/Maths isn't required, will it be a problem for chemistry (and even psychology at some)? Would it be more difficult to both do those degrees or even get an offer?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by n4dn4d
I am in year 11 and do pretty well in all of my subjects, getting almost all 7s,8s,9s, and want to take Chem, Psychology, and Music. These are my favourite 3 subjects that are offered to me, and I can guarantee myself an A* with music and know that it will be a subject I'll enjoy. I want to then (if i go to Uni) continue to either a Chemistry, or Psychology degree. I know psychology wont be much of a problem, but even though some unis say that Bio/Maths isn't required, will it be a problem for chemistry (and even psychology at some)? Would it be more difficult to both do those degrees or even get an offer?

Most Psych degrees at sensible Unis will require a science/maths A level - some will accept Psych for this.
Most Chem degrees at sensible Unis will require both Chem and another science/maths A level - and taking Chem on its own is probably not a great idea if you are aiming at any sort of STEM degree.

Remember that Music can continue as a major interest without doing an A level - and you might be better doing Bio or another subject that is actually related to your intended degree subject.
Original post by n4dn4d

HI @n4dn4d

It's great you're starting to think about what uni course you want to apply to!

Choosing A-levels you will enjoy is really important as it will help you stay motivated and wanting to study but it's also important that your A-levels are relevant and allow you to progress onto the degree course you want to do.

My advice would be to take a look at some unis you may want to apply to and see what their entry requirements are for both courses. At Loughborough for our Psychology course, the entry requirements are AAB with no required subjects. For our Chemistry course, the entry requirements are ABB including Chemistry and preferably one other Science or Maths. You may also want to email the admission teams at a few unis you're interested in applying to just to see what they are looking for in terms of A-level subjects (I've linked the contact details to the Loughborough admissions team here). Eventually you will have to narrow down whether you want to apply for Chemistry or for Psychology and you still have plenty of time to do this but it may be worth having a think as to what you'd prefer.

I hope this helped and good luck with your GCSEs :smile:

Jess

Quick Reply

Latest