The Student Room Group

How to get into computer science?

I messed up a lot in my early life and now I'm 24 and want to study and work hard. I did very average on my A-Levels (I did it in Canada so I technically got like a D in maths, A in biology, some more random A's and B's in subjects that don't exist here)

I feel like If I don't invest in getting into a good uni I'll reach a block in my career. I've been self-studying for a bit and really enjoy it. I've been learning math all over again and I can definitely do it properly this time.

What would you do if you were 24 with very average grades from 5 years ago? Would you retake some gcses and a levels and try to get into a good uni? I live in Sheffield so it would be ideal to get into Sheffield but it looks to be quite competitive - in fact all computer science degrees look competitive. I'm willing to put in the work.
Reply 1
I don't know how much help this would be but 3 years ago I went to Leeds uni of and was studying Japanese, but last year I made the change to dmu to study cyber security. This was a massive risk because I hadn't studied computer science or anything Similar formally before, the most appropriate a level for cyber security I had was Core math in which I got a B in (core is like in between gcse and A Level in regards to difficulty but it is not a BTEC) .
Before DMU I looked at a lot of uni's and courses and while many asked for previous education is computer science or similar there were a few that welcomed beginners straight onto the course, no foundation year all they really asked was passing of A levels (sometimes at least 3 B's) and passing of GCSE English and math. As someone who went onto such course as an absolute beginner it is fine honestly but if you want to be more prepared and confident depending on how much you want to spend it maybe worth retaking gcse math and maybe computer science or similar at a local college. I think the biggest thing that got me onto my current course was my Personal statement (I applied through UCAS so its a must)- thats where I really tried to show my passion and what i have been working towards in my own time despite no direct qualifications.

It would help but it is also a longer way to go. Im 22 and in my second year of uni due to my switch and with my lack of work experience in the field im already very anxious about finding work in the cyber sector as it is very saturated. I have looked at jobs and yes most do require a degree but perhaps collage certificate plus a lot of you own learning could potentially be enough. Also I would never stop looking for low level jobs in the computer sector even if you do choose to go to uni because we are in a world where work experience really is more highly valued than a degree
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by faithrl
I messed up a lot in my early life and now I'm 24 and want to study and work hard. I did very average on my A-Levels (I did it in Canada so I technically got like a D in maths, A in biology, some more random A's and B's in subjects that don't exist here)

I feel like If I don't invest in getting into a good uni I'll reach a block in my career. I've been self-studying for a bit and really enjoy it. I've been learning math all over again and I can definitely do it properly this time.

What would you do if you were 24 with very average grades from 5 years ago? Would you retake some gcses and a levels and try to get into a good uni? I live in Sheffield so it would be ideal to get into Sheffield but it looks to be quite competitive - in fact all computer science degrees look competitive. I'm willing to put in the work.

Hiya,

I am Jivanthika, a second year computer science and AI student at the University of Sheffield. I hope I can help you with any questions you have regarding starting your academic journey with the university! In terms of mature students, the university of very supportive of anyone trying to get into education and offers bursaries and support for these students. In my course in particular, we have students from 17-32 so there is definitely potential to get into the course if it is your passion. If you require more support you can contact the admissions team at the university to find out more information.

You can chat to someone using
https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/contact/prospective-students#chat

Or you can call on: 44 114 222 8030 from 10am to 12pm.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions :smile:
Jivanthika

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending