The Student Room Group

Biology or Physics for A-level?

Hi. I am a Year 11 student choosing A-level, and I'm hesitating between Physics and Biology. My other choices are pretty much set, which are Chemistry, Math and Further Math.

If choosing physics, I would probably aim to do an engineering degree in uni, potentially going into developing products. The reason behind this is because I enjoy creating things and the satisfaction. However, I don't particularly feel a large passion for physics itself. I am also worried that A-level physics may be very hard, from information that I have heard.

Whereas for Biology, I really enjoy the genetic and evolution topics, but not much for the rest. If taking biology, my current thoughts are doing research in the future, as I have no interest in clinical medicine. My concerns are: this route will be difficult and long, as you'll need a higher degree, and I'm worried that my interest is not enough to support me through that.

Right now I'm leaning towards physics, as it opens up more degree options. You may enter some biology-related degree with physics and chemistry, but not physics degrees with biology.

My grades for the two subjects are quite similar, making it harder to decide. In the mock we just had, I got 9 for both of them (with the exact same scores actually).

Thank you so much for reading this, any advice would be much appreciated!
Biology and chemistry have a lot of overlap :smile: I was also worried about taking a-level biology because i hated the ecological side to things but it goes by fast and there's not much more to it than GCSE in that topic so i think you would be fine

If you're not passionate then I wouldn't choose the to study a subject at A-Level

when i chose my alevels i did maths chem and econ, i then swapped to maths chem and hist, then i swapped to maths chem and bio and then i swapped to bio chem and psych - im in no way saying this is a good way to go about it BUT the point is you can usually trial an a-level before sticking to one so you could apply to sixth form for 4 alevels and drop whichever one you dont like after experiencing them?

i hope this helps
Original post by aslkdjfh
Hi. I am a Year 11 student choosing A-level, and I'm hesitating between Physics and Biology. My other choices are pretty much set, which are Chemistry, Math and Further Math.

If choosing physics, I would probably aim to do an engineering degree in uni, potentially going into developing products. The reason behind this is because I enjoy creating things and the satisfaction. However, I don't particularly feel a large passion for physics itself. I am also worried that A-level physics may be very hard, from information that I have heard.

Whereas for Biology, I really enjoy the genetic and evolution topics, but not much for the rest. If taking biology, my current thoughts are doing research in the future, as I have no interest in clinical medicine. My concerns are: this route will be difficult and long, as you'll need a higher degree, and I'm worried that my interest is not enough to support me through that.

Right now I'm leaning towards physics, as it opens up more degree options. You may enter some biology-related degree with physics and chemistry, but not physics degrees with biology.

My grades for the two subjects are quite similar, making it harder to decide. In the mock we just had, I got 9 for both of them (with the exact same scores actually).

Thank you so much for reading this, any advice would be much appreciated!

i would suggest taking a look at a-level physics an a-level bio syllabus----congrats on doing well at them in ur gcses but just cause they are the same subject doesnt mean they are like that at a-level, i do a-level bio and it is def different from gcse and my friend does physics a-level and she too said it was different---------and then this might help u decideee :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest