The Student Room Group

Doubt about following through with my deferred offer.

Around this time last year I finished my A Levels and got an offer to study BSc Biochemistry at Imperial College London. I deferred my offer almost instantly as I didn't feel ready to go to Uni just yet, meaning I'll be starting this October 2023 instead . I've spent the last year in and out of various jobs, more recently working for the NHS as a lab assistant, but now it's near enough to October now that I have to start thinking about Uni again.

My motivation for going to university is definitely a heavy mix of wanting to make a decent living, and out of a genuine passion for the subject. But I'm starting to question if I'm really passionate enough to follow through with it all. I'm hearing too many mixed reviews (if you will) about the career prospects of doing Biochemistry at Imperial. I've heard its a great subject that can open a variety of doors into pharmaceuticals, consulting, finance etc... but also that a masters or PhD is pretty much necessary if you want to make any money from it, and I don't see myself being able to fund any of these options.

I have an itch in the back of my mind telling me that I should be doing something with much better career opportunities like computer science or law, both of which I also find interesting. But the fact is I'm here now, with an offer from a supposed top 10 university with realistically only 3 months to make a choice, which either way will be critical in determining my future and it's quite a lot of weight to bear (which is most likely why I am, or attempting to, unload it here).

The idea of declining the offer, taking another year out and working, while trying to figure out what I actually want to do just doesn't seem realistic. Having to go through the devil-made headache of a university application all over again is not a pleasing thought but neither is the possibility of being a miserable undergrad student in a degree that I cannot be certain I will enjoy or that leads to prospects I cannot be certain will be worthwhile. I know uncertainty is an unavoidable part of life, but I feel like it is the consequences of choices that should be uncertain, not my own confidence in my choices.

If anyone has had a similar experience or can offer a fresh perspective of what it is I am thinking/going through, I would really appreciate it.
Original post by jamesfor514
Around this time last year I finished my A Levels and got an offer to study BSc Biochemistry at Imperial College London. I deferred my offer almost instantly as I didn't feel ready to go to Uni just yet, meaning I'll be starting this October 2023 instead . I've spent the last year in and out of various jobs, more recently working for the NHS as a lab assistant, but now it's near enough to October now that I have to start thinking about Uni again.

My motivation for going to university is definitely a heavy mix of wanting to make a decent living, and out of a genuine passion for the subject. But I'm starting to question if I'm really passionate enough to follow through with it all. I'm hearing too many mixed reviews (if you will) about the career prospects of doing Biochemistry at Imperial. I've heard its a great subject that can open a variety of doors into pharmaceuticals, consulting, finance etc... but also that a masters or PhD is pretty much necessary if you want to make any money from it, and I don't see myself being able to fund any of these options.

I have an itch in the back of my mind telling me that I should be doing something with much better career opportunities like computer science or law, both of which I also find interesting. But the fact is I'm here now, with an offer from a supposed top 10 university with realistically only 3 months to make a choice, which either way will be critical in determining my future and it's quite a lot of weight to bear (which is most likely why I am, or attempting to, unload it here).

The idea of declining the offer, taking another year out and working, while trying to figure out what I actually want to do just doesn't seem realistic. Having to go through the devil-made headache of a university application all over again is not a pleasing thought but neither is the possibility of being a miserable undergrad student in a degree that I cannot be certain I will enjoy or that leads to prospects I cannot be certain will be worthwhile. I know uncertainty is an unavoidable part of life, but I feel like it is the consequences of choices that should be uncertain, not my own confidence in my choices.

If anyone has had a similar experience or can offer a fresh perspective of what it is I am thinking/going through, I would really appreciate it.

I think the career prospects of biochemistry being the same due to the field. If you want to stay in biochem or life sciences, then you would need to go into a postgrad.
However, the degree alone would allow you to move into law or computer science should you wish. You can become a solicitor with a degree in any subject via the SQE (unless you want to become a barrsiter, you won't need to do another degree). The tech sector doesn't require you to have specific degree, and you can often get offers if you have the appropriate skills and experience (professional IT certificates are preferred over degrees).
Should you wish to use the biochem degree to pivot into a completely different field, you can do so in most areas e.g. business, education, fashion, transport, design, data science, music, art, theatre/film, writing. The big areas that you will have difficulty getting into include architecture, engineering, and anything physics/maths related.
If you want to pivot to another area of life science, you would need to check if you need further degrees (as it's often the case that you do).
Original post by jamesfor514

Unless you've got a very fortunate home life and background, any undergraduate degree is going to leave you with something like £50k of debt. They are also a lot of work and if you're not sure about it then you may not have the motivation to complete it which would leave you with debt and no degree.

I wouldn't worry too much about how 'top' a university is. That's only important if you're keen to stay in academia at a certain institution.

Out of curiosity - how interested are you in your current role? There are degree apprenticeship opportunities in the NHS and you could get support to do a biomedical science degree while still working in the lab (which means you'd be able to fund it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending