The Student Room Group

Resitting A-level Math + Picking Up Further Math For Computer Science Uni

Just received my results and unfortunately I missed my offer to study Computer Science which was A*/ A*/ A. I ended up receiving A*/ A/ A without an A* in math. I have decided that I do not want to enter clearing and want to take a gap year instead. I was thinking of resitting A level Math to get it to an A* and also picking up further math to strengthen my application (and hopefully sit both exams next year).

I wanted to know how much of a disadvantage I would be at for resitting Maths. I am thinking of applying to Imperial, Warwick, UCL and two other unis im currently undecided on but I want them to be ones I already meet the conditions for (All for Computer Science). Any chance anyone has gotten into any of these courses whilst resitting A-Levels (especially Maths)?

I also want to know whether or not it would make much of a difference applying with 3A*s and an A instead of 4A*s as I am planning to not resit Computer Science which I got an A in, should I be considering this?
Reply 1
Original post by MayOM1
Just received my results and unfortunately I missed my offer to study Computer Science which was A*/ A*/ A. I ended up receiving A*/ A/ A without an A* in math. I have decided that I do not want to enter clearing and want to take a gap year instead. I was thinking of resitting A level Math to get it to an A* and also picking up further math to strengthen my application (and hopefully sit both exams next year).

I wanted to know how much of a disadvantage I would be at for resitting Maths. I am thinking of applying to Imperial, Warwick, UCL and two other unis im currently undecided on but I want them to be ones I already meet the conditions for (All for Computer Science). Any chance anyone has gotten into any of these courses whilst resitting A-Levels (especially Maths)?

I also want to know whether or not it would make much of a difference applying with 3A*s and an A instead of 4A*s as I am planning to not resit Computer Science which I got an A in, should I be considering this?

What a shame. I’m so sorry that you missed out, especially as you got really good grades. What did you get your A* in?
It is a really good idea to strengthen your application by picking up further maths. Whether or not you resit maths/CS depends upon whether you think you just missed out and with a good effort can get the A*, or whether it is a long shot?
Reply 2
Original post by CAG575
What a shame. I’m so sorry that you missed out, especially as you got really good grades. What did you get your A* in?
It is a really good idea to strengthen your application by picking up further maths. Whether or not you resit maths/CS depends upon whether you think you just missed out and with a good effort can get the A*, or whether it is a long shot?

Hi thanks for your message. I got an A* in economics, I believe I'm capable of resitting both maths and cs and getting an A* in both and I thought I would get this before. I'm thinking of only resitting Maths though so I can focus on further math and math since unis only look at ur top 3 A-levels
Reply 3
Original post by MayOM1
how much of a disadvantage I would be at for resitting Maths. I am thinking of applying to Imperial, Warwick, UCL

You need to contact each of the Unis you are intending to apply for and check that they will accept A level resits.

Btw, Bath has no problem with resits, and neither does Bristol.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
You need to contact each of the Unis you are intending to apply for and check that they will accept A level resits.

Btw, Bath has no problem with resits, and neither does Bristol.

I've contacted them and the ones I want to apply to say they don't mind but I just wanted to check if anyone has actually done it before and gotten in as I do believe it will put me at a disadvantage. UCL for example told me i could be at a slight disadvantage but I should make sure the rest of my application is perfect and i'll have a chance.

I think I'm fine for bath as my achieved A-levels already meet their conditions so I don't think resitting will matter, as for Bristol I don't think I will apply as I applied with 3 A*s predicted and got rejected this year. I asked them why I was rejected and they said It was because I don't have straight 9s with my gcses being all 9s except two 8s and a 7 in enlish lit&lang and spanish, they even told me not to apply again unless I resit my gcses.
Original post by MayOM1

Hey I’m also I’m a similar position but slightly worse I got A*AB with a B in physics and applying for engineering. I’m going to resit physics this year and take up further maths.
Do u know if I applying to imperial and UCL without the required grades would be an instant rejection or would you at least get a chance at the entrance exam or imperial if the predicted grades are enough
Reply 6
Original post by nicolaslo
Hey I’m also I’m a similar position but slightly worse I got A*AB with a B in physics and applying for engineering. I’m going to resit physics this year and take up further maths.
Do u know if I applying to imperial and UCL without the required grades would be an instant rejection or would you at least get a chance at the entrance exam or imperial if the predicted grades are enough

So I called up UCL and UCL dont allow resits for some subjects but I was lucky that they dont for Computer Science. However, the person on the phone said I should make sure other parts of my application are rlly gd. I called and emailed imperial and they said they allow resits and I won't be disaadvantaged.

I still think tho id be at a disadvantage for all the places I apply to as I imagine if I was compared to a similar student who isn't retaking A-level Maths theyd probably want to pick that student over me. You should try and check if the same will apply for engineering as I asked for Computer Science, hopefully it should be fine as they are in the same department/faculty at both unis.

Where else are thinking of applying to if you dont mind me asking?
Original post by MayOM1
So I called up UCL and UCL dont allow resits for some subjects but I was lucky that they dont for Computer Science. However, the person on the phone said I should make sure other parts of my application are rlly gd. I called and emailed imperial and they said they allow resits and I won't be disaadvantaged.

I still think tho id be at a disadvantage for all the places I apply to as I imagine if I was compared to a similar student who isn't retaking A-level Maths theyd probably want to pick that student over me. You should try and check if the same will apply for engineering as I asked for Computer Science, hopefully it should be fine as they are in the same department/faculty at both unis.

Where else are thinking of applying to if you dont mind me asking?

Bath, Bristol and I’m unsure of a third. Im also not sure I’ll put down both Imperial and UCL. Others I’m thinking of are Warwick and Durham as they were in clearing this year and maybe Exeter as a safety. Bristol is also relatively safe as I have the grades for their engineering mathematics course. Most others are A*AA while that course is A*AB
Reply 8
Bath, Bristol and I’m unsure of a third. Im also not sure I’ll put down both Imperial and UCL. Others I’m thinking of are Warwick and Durham as they were in clearing this year and maybe Exeter as a safety. Bristol is also relatively safe as I have the grades for their engineering mathematics course. Most others are A*AA while that course is A*AB

Ah ok those are good options, I'm also thinking about Bath, Durham and Warwick. I'm not sure abt Warwick tho as I heard they dont like resits but I need to check that.
Original post by MayOM1
Ah ok those are good options, I'm also thinking about Bath, Durham and Warwick. I'm not sure abt Warwick tho as I heard they dont like resits but I need to check that.

Yh I’m not sure about Warwick either and that is probably the place I’m considering least as I’m not too knowledgeable about their engineering course.

I also just got a reply from UCL and they said my application would be considered if I am predicated an A in my physics resit and wouldn’t be at a disadvantage and it would be my first time resitting, they said if I had to resit more than once then I would be at a disadvantage.
Reply 10
Yh I’m not sure about Warwick either and that is probably the place I’m considering least as I’m not too knowledgeable about their engineering course.

I also just got a reply from UCL and they said my application would be considered if I am predicated an A in my physics resit and wouldn’t be at a disadvantage and it would be my first time resitting, they said if I had to resit more than once then I would be at a disadvantage.

Ah ok that sounds like it cd be good for u then. Yh I don’t think Warwick is that known for engineering so maybe it could be better to apply somewhere else especially if you could be at a disadvantage applying there. Good luck with ur application.

Quick Reply

Latest