The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Computer Science

Last Summer my TAGs were ACC with a C in maths and computer science and an A in economics. I resat computer science in October and achieved an A* and I intend to resit my maths exam this Summer, aiming for an A* too. Computer Science at UCL is a dream for me and I feel as if I will be at a disadvantage because I’m resitting the only required subject for computer science at UCL. The course requires A*A*A with A* in maths, and I’m also eligible for to receive a contextual offer of A*AB with A* in maths. What can I do to maximise my chances of receiving an offer?
I'm also thinking of applying to UCL for Computer Science so this is my first option, in the summer my TAGs were ABB and I resat Maths and Physics to bring my TAGs to A*AB so I'm going for the contextual offer, I guess if you're going to take the summer exams you're gonna have to ask for A*/A for maths predicted which would be difficult since you've got a C for your TAG but it's worth a try and plus you need to have a really good personal statement.
(edited 2 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by SArunkumar
I'm also thinking of applying to UCL for Computer Science so this is my first option, in the summer my TAGs were ABB and I resat Maths and Physics to bring my TAGs to A*AB so I'm going for the contextual offer, I guess if you're going to take the summer exams you're gonna have to ask for A*/A for maths predicted which would be difficult since you've got a C for your TAG but it's worth a try and plus you need to have a really good personal statement.

Yeah hopefully they should give me an A* predicted as I went from a C to an A* in my Comp Sci A Level with like 2 months notice.

Good luck with ur application, have you sent it off yet?
Original post by adzzinho
Yeah hopefully they should give me an A* predicted as I went from a C to an A* in my Comp Sci A Level with like 2 months notice.

Good luck with ur application, have you sent it off yet?

That's great! I have sent of my application yesterday - I done PS and other stuff early, but good luck to you with your application. Hopefully we could both get into UCL.
Reply 4
That's great! I have sent of my application yesterday - I done PS and other stuff early, but good luck to you with your application. Hopefully we could both get into UCL.

Yes hopefully, where else did you apply to?
Yes hopefully, where else did you apply to?

I've applied to Durham, Bristol, Leeds and Loughborough
Reply 6
I've applied to Durham, Bristol, Leeds and Loughborough

Nice man, if your eligible for Leeds access scheme you should apply because it would probably make ur offer unconditional
Nice man, if your eligible for Leeds access scheme you should apply because it would probably make ur offer unconditional

I wasn't eligible last year when I applied to it, the only thing that's a bit of a worry is that I've got A*AB and their requirements are AAA, but tbh I'm not too fussed about since I'd rather get into Durham or UC;L - I got a Durham offer last year for AAB so just hoping I can get that unconditional offer as back up if I don't get UCL, But yeah where are you applying to??
Reply 8
I wasn't eligible last year when I applied to it, the only thing that's a bit of a worry is that I've got A*AB and their requirements are AAA, but tbh I'm not too fussed about since I'd rather get into Durham or UC;L - I got a Durham offer last year for AAB so just hoping I can get that unconditional offer as back up if I don't get UCL, But yeah where are you applying to??

Durham should offer you again then hopefully, it’s just a shame that our teachers underestimated our ability, I’m applying to Nottingham, Birmingham, Warwick and a degree apprenticeship at QMUL
Reply 9

Hi,
I'm in a similar situation this year. I have a confirmed place at a university but really want to go to UCL. If I retake a exam and convert the B in further maths to A or A* and then apply with A*A*AA do you think UCL will look at my application favourably even if I'm a resit candidate?
Hey, I am pretty sure that most unis don't care if you are a resit candidate. As long as you have the grades to get into the course you will be looked at in equal favour to all other applicants.

Original post by Mzss
Hi,
I'm in a similar situation this year. I have a confirmed place at a university but really want to go to UCL. If I retake a exam and convert the B in further maths to A or A* and then apply with A*A*AA do you think UCL will look at my application favourably even if I'm a resit candidate?
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I am pretty sure that most unis don't care if you are a resit candidate. As long as you have the grades to get into the course you will be looked at in equal favour to all other applicants.

Most Unis probably don’t care, but oversubscribed unis do. UCL reject 4A* applicants at a drop of a hat.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending