The Student Room Group

Broken Tooth

One of my back is broken to the point where there is only a small bit of tooth left. This happened over 2 years ago and has never caused me any pain so I left it because I am terrified of dentists. Over the last couple of days it’s been agony and the pain is also giving me headaches. Has anyone ever experienced this. I just find it weird it would start hurting after 2 years.
If you tooth broke off the root could have died or something so you've not felt any pain because of that - but since its been broken and exposed for over 2 years it could have caused something like an abscess if the pain is that bad? If that's the case you'd be able to get an emergency appointment for a dentist through 111. But you do need to get it checked out before it gets even worse if its not sorted out. If it is an abscess then they'd probably give you antibiotics before removing the rest of the tooth thats causing you issues (which really isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be i had to have wisdom teeth removed on one side cos it was causing me issues too with it growing the wrong way). They may refer you somewhere else and it could take a few weeks to get removed though.

You honestly wont feel anything i promise they'll numb it real good and if you still do feel it just ask for more, it just means that you wont be able to feel more of your mouth/jaw thats all, which goes away after a little while. It doesnt take long to remove either, it was super quick for me) and the aftermath wasnt too terrible - just kept ice on it, took painkillers for like 4 days max and ate soft food for like a week.

Its better to get it checked out then to not get it checked out - if you dont it could make it even worse than it already is. Your dentist will explain everything really well and answer any questions, they get people that are terrified of dentists all the time they know how to approach the situation and make it less scary
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
If you tooth broke off the root could have died or something so you've not felt any pain because of that - but since its been broken and exposed for over 2 years it could have caused something like an abscess if the pain is that bad? If that's the case you'd be able to get an emergency appointment for a dentist through 111. But you do need to get it checked out before it gets even worse if it’s not sorted out. If it is an abscess then they'd probably give you antibiotics before removing the rest of the tooth thats causing you issues (which really isnt as bad as everyone makes it out to be i had to have wisdom teeth removed on one side cos it was causing me issues too with it growing the wrong way). They may refer you somewhere else and it could take a few weeks to get removed though.

You honestly wont feel anything i promise they'll numb it real good and if you still do feel it just ask for more, it just means that you wont be able to feel more of your mouth/jaw thats all, which goes away after a little while. It doesnt take long to remove either, it was super quick for me) and the aftermath wasnt too terrible - just kept ice on it, took painkillers for like 4 days max and ate soft food for like a week.

Its better to get it checked out then to not get it checked out - if you dont it could make it even worse than it already is. Your dentist will explain everything really well and answer any questions, they get people that are terrified of dentists all the time they know how to approach the situation and make it less scary

Hi

Thank you so much for replying. I think years ago I had Root Canal on that side so I thought maybe that’s why I wasn’t having pain but yeah an abcess seems likely. I had a bad experience when I was little and it’s developed in to full blown dental phobia but I will need to go and get it seem to as no way I could live with this pain.

Quick Reply

Latest