The Student Room Group

New Idol models -London

Has anyone applied to New Idol Modelling ?
What has your expirence been ?
Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
None of these modelling services are legitimate, they will promise you the world in a misleading, but not overt way, make you sign away your rights in person (preventing you most legal recourse), and then charge you around £500-£1000 for a professional shoot.

From there, you will never get given any kind of modelling contract and the contract you sign with the 'agency' specifically states all of this but they pressure you to sign and in many cases make horrific threats and inducements.

This is a surefire way to not only lose a lot of money, but possibly find yourself in a compromised position as personal photos can be used against you as a form of threat to hand over more money or sign up to greater packages.

No legitimate modelling agency would charge you for a photo shoot, this is because legitimate agencies would expect you to already have your own portfolio and CV and possibly even your own agent.

I was a senior consumer law expert at Citizens Advice and the amount of cases concerning these agencies was unreal and some of the stories were shocking , and because of how they practice very carefully in a bit of a gray area, there is almost no way to get your money back once you realise what has happened and the single legal argument I used to be able to advise on always came down to "he said she said".
Reply 2
Original post by J_A_L_S
None of these modelling services are legitimate, they will promise you the world in a misleading, but not overt way, make you sign away your rights in person (preventing you most legal recourse), and then charge you around £500-£1000 for a professional shoot.

From there, you will never get given any kind of modelling contract and the contract you sign with the 'agency' specifically states all of this but they pressure you to sign and in many cases make horrific threats and inducements.

This is a surefire way to not only lose a lot of money, but possibly find yourself in a compromised position as personal photos can be used against you as a form of threat to hand over more money or sign up to greater packages.

No legitimate modelling agency would charge you for a photo shoot, this is because legitimate agencies would expect you to already have your own portfolio and CV and possibly even your own agent.

I was a senior consumer law expert at Citizens Advice and the amount of cases concerning these agencies was unreal and some of the stories were shocking , and because of how they practice very carefully in a bit of a gray area, there is almost no way to get your money back once you realise what has happened and the single legal argument I used to be able to advise on always came down to "he said she said".

I've just had a quick scan of their legal info and Ts&Cs, they are not a real modelling agency, They are a subsidiary of a photography studio - This is a HUGE red flag in my expert opinion!
Reply 3
Original post by J_A_L_S

Wow, looks like someone I know has handed £2300 pounds and made her sign for a portfolio of unedited photos - she is 21 just, has / in recovery from aneroxia and a full time student. Very unlike her she was sucked in with force sales tactics and GDPR rules for holding her picture and made her part with money and sign away no cooling period - I have tried to get her money back and they say - no she Signed a contract - not sure will get any help from trading standards - the owner was operating under another name and was struck off 2020 but has started as a support agency ? Doing exactly what he was and getting away with it / disgraced the law can’t protect such operations mainly targeting young people and students - any tips to get money back would be helpful - thanks -https://www.modelscams.co.uk/broken-promises-clients-of-modelling-agency-and-shoreditch-photo-studio-say-their-dreams-were-crushed/
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by J_A_L_S
I've just had a quick scan of their legal info and Ts&Cs, they are not a real modelling agency, They are a subsidiary of a photography studio - This is a HUGE red flag in my expert opinion!

They operate under the name of New Impact Digital - the owner is same guy - Frankie Ajkif - of Riverside studio / Lepel studios and were struck off - https://www.modelscams.co.uk/broken-promises-clients-of-modelling-agency-and-shoreditch-photo-studio-say-their-dreams-were-crushed/

Owner of this Studio - ouch doesn’t look like going to bow in and may need to pursue throw small claims court nit sure .
Reply 5
Original post by Bafs
Wow, looks like someone I know has handed £2300 pounds and made her sign for a portfolio of unedited photos - she is 21 just, has / in recovery from aneroxia and a full time student. Very unlike her she was sucked in with force sales tactics and GDPR rules for holding her picture and made her part with money and sign away no cooling period - I have tried to get her money back and they say - no she Signed a contract - not sure will get any help from trading standards - the owner was operating under another name and was struck off 2020 but has started as a support agency ? Doing exactly what he was and getting away with it / disgraced the law can’t protect such operations mainly targeting young people and students - any tips to get money back would be helpful - thanks

Hey, so this sounds exactly like what I would deal with previously.

The first major thing to ask is, did she sign the contract in person, at their premises, if no, then you may have an argument under the Consumer Contract Regulations. If the contract was signed in person, she is essentially in a really bad situation.

The only advice I can offer is to go over that contract with a fine tooth comb and find absolutely anything they have done wrong. Outside of that, your only argument that stands is a claim for a misleading action or aggressive practice pursuant to the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (enforceable by the 2014 Regs of the same name). You would have to prove that they made an overtly misleading statement e.g. "We will 100% guarantee you have a modelling contract within 4 months" or engaged in an aggressive practice e.g. causing fear, alarm or distress which induced her into the contract, inducement must be the operative cause of entering the contract. This is basically impossible to prove though.

In my role I was the one making referrals to trading standards, unless she lives in some very specific catchment zones (Lancaster and Gateshead are the only two I can think of), Trading Standards will do absolutely nothing. With the agency being registered in London from what I can see, I gurantee TS will not do anything. I would recommend that she call the consumer service 0808 223 1133, who can get the exact details needed to give more specific advice on whether in her case something else specifically applies, but it rarely does.

If you can prove a prima facie case against them, contacting her bank might be a way to get her money back, however, unless there is a clear breach of law, technically the agency could hold her in breach of contract for going that route (if the bank help at all, again, they very rarely would in such cases when I handled them).
Reply 6
Sadly they tantalised her with a £50 refundable deposit- hard sales and pushing a portfolio coasting £2300 - she signed the contact on site -
Paid money from her mobile app - she has suffered from aneroxia all faltering remarks re how she would be placed with pretty little things etc - they say these things in the room but advertise themselves as a support agency - how can they sign a student for a portfolio possibly aimed at professional career - she has never modelled - I am not sure as the current owner was struck off from another business by trading standards if I call that out will he lay low. She asked if she could ring her mum as funds not hers were for her rent and bills and they said no can’t wait need to sign in 24 hours - only point is the invite said under 22 needs to be accompanied by parent but she went alone - thank you for guidance really appreciated sorry long message
Reply 7
Original post by Bafs
Sadly they tantalised her with a £50 refundable deposit- hard sales and pushing a portfolio coasting £2300 - she signed the contact on site -
Paid money from her mobile app - she has suffered from aneroxia all faltering remarks re how she would be placed with pretty little things etc - they say these things in the room but advertise themselves as a support agency - how can they sign a student for a portfolio possibly aimed at professional career - she has never modelled - I am not sure as the current owner was struck off from another business by trading standards if I call that out will he lay low. She asked if she could ring her mum as funds not hers were for her rent and bills and they said no can’t wait need to sign in 24 hours - only point is the invite said under 22 needs to be accompanied by parent but she went alone - thank you for guidance really appreciated sorry long message

If that invite said she had to be accompanied it may be something, if that is not reiterated in the contract though it will be such a hard argument to make as anybody over 18 has legal agency to enter into contracts regardless of the terms (within reason). Sadly, from everything you have said, there just doesn't seem to be enough to argue anything clearly. She could take her chances at small claims court and a judge may consider her more credible than the business, especially considering the previous strike off, but its hard to tell where it would lie.
Reply 8
Original post by J_A_L_S
Hey, so this sounds exactly like what I would deal with previously.

The first major thing to ask is, did she sign the contract in person, at their premises, if no, then you may have an argument under the Consumer Contract Regulations. If the contract was signed in person, she is essentially in a really bad situation.

The only advice I can offer is to go over that contract with a fine tooth comb and find absolutely anything they have done wrong. Outside of that, your only argument that stands is a claim for a misleading action or aggressive practice pursuant to the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 (enforceable by the 2014 Regs of the same name). You would have to prove that they made an overtly misleading statement e.g. "We will 100% guarantee you have a modelling contract within 4 months" or engaged in an aggressive practice e.g. causing fear, alarm or distress which induced her into the contract, inducement must be the operative cause of entering the contract. This is basically impossible to prove though.

In my role I was the one making referrals to trading standards, unless she lives in some very specific catchment zones (Lancaster and Gateshead are the only two I can think of), Trading Standards will do absolutely nothing. With the agency being registered in London from what I can see, I gurantee TS will not do anything. I would recommend that she call the consumer service 0808 223 1133, who can get the exact details needed to give more specific advice on whether in her case something else specifically applies, but it rarely does.

If you can prove a prima facie case against them, contacting her bank might be a way to get her money back, however, unless there is a clear breach of law, technically the agency could hold her in breach of contract for going that route (if the bank help at all, again, they very rarely would in such cases when I handled them).

Tahbksbreportwd to consumer services they seemed good
Steer clear! Genuine modelling agencies will nine times out of ten expect you to have a portfolio, and sometimes an agent. Not only that, you should never have to pay for a photoshoot if they're taking rights of the photos.
Reply 10
Original post by Bafs
Thanks

Hope you didn’t attend ? They are not a modelling agency - they will lure you into cashing up for a portifolio and promise you big dreams -
Reply 11
Original post by J_A_L_S
If that invite said she had to be accompanied it may be something, if that is not reiterated in the contract though it will be such a hard argument to make as anybody over 18 has legal agency to enter into contracts regardless of the terms (within reason). Sadly, from everything you have said, there just doesn't seem to be enough to argue anything clearly. She could take her chances at small claims court and a judge may consider her more credible than the business, especially considering the previous strike off, but its hard to tell where it would lie.

hi , they took the money off her first and than made her sign the contract which said can’t cancel and no - refundable - if we can prove this by looking at the time stamp on the transfer of funds and the signature for some reason has also got a time . Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by Bafs
Thanks

Scammed for £2300 pounds - hope you are ok ? They will just sell your photo portfolio and once they make you sign something and oh boy they will falter you and you can’t cancel or get a refund - hope you didn’t go -
Reply 13
Original post by Bafs
Thanks

Photo experience was lovely. Nice pictures were taken of course. However the hefty price tag for the photo and portfolio work to get a new model started, felt was necessary. With social media, photo apps and advance cameras, one can recreate the look themselves really. The pay upfront scheme felt hostile, you couldn't even go home and think about it before making a decision to pay (must pay right after shoot).

Once they help with portfolio and perhaps point you to some agencies, you won't hear from them. (been over a year). They don't even give you the courtesy call to check on you to see how things are going.

Company is not an agency, they help you create a portfolio and steer you to the right direction and offer agencies to sign you however there is no guarantee any of it will come to fruition. In the end its the effort one puts in. I have found more work independently than using these companies/agencies. A lot of it is a money grab. If you don't have a certain look, you'll get a lot of run around with people boosting your ego trying to get your business, when the reality is your portfolio is going nowhere fast if you don't put in the work to find it yourself. Hope this helps!
Reply 14
Stay away - the reply above is spot on - itvis all a hard sale to get the photos and if you attend you will be signing away thousands and want get a single job - they don’t find you work and refer you to other agencies who will also look for a fee and you can easily go directly to them yourself if you really want to give it a go. Get your own portfolio be much cheaper and nicer - their photos are nothing special . They are are previous update an agency not a modelling company - read and research the owners they have scammed people and article in the gazette a couple of years ago . Read their negative reviews on trust pilot that is the reality .
Luxe model, new idol models, uk models, they are ALL SCAMS. Don't fall for the 50 pound deposit, you won't get it back. They pressure you into buying a portfolio, that's their modus operandi
Reply 16
Hhiya
If you wish to take part in sharing your experience with a newspaper send me a message and I will put you in touch / they want to do a story of anyone who may have been scammed - thanks

Quick Reply

Latest